Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Jul 10, 12:34 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Jul 10, 12:34 PM
    August 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Jul 10 at 12:34 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-07-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Page 4
  • ~moneysavingnovice~
    Does anyone have any ideas for cheap lunches to take to work?

I am thoroughly bored of my pasta with sauce/ham sandwich, so much so that today and yesterday I resorted to buying it from Mr S which was naughty.

I don't tend to have any leftovers, as the dog muches anything that me and OH don't manage to finish!
    Last edited by ~moneysavingnovice~; 30-07-2010 at 2:54 PM.
    Mortgage148,725 Student loan13,050 HSBC loan12,221
    AprGC:/320
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 30th Jul 10, 2:41 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Thanks for the stating up the thread again!

well last month, dread to think as OH was doing the shopping as i was out of action.Guess what looks like another month with a pot on my leg grrrr We've had to pay out for alots things like tax. mot, assesments.so its a hard moth again.

Any ways good luck to everyone, i know i'm going to need it after the amount we've spent on booze while the kids were away.
  • wssla00
    Hello all Sorry for the late posting! OK here is the recipe I use for Scones. They are very moreish!

250g Self Raising Flour
    55g Margarine (you could use softened butter but margarine or a butter substitute is softer)
    30g granulated sugar- the stuff you use in your tea
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 tablespoons of golden syrup or maple syrup
    pinch salt
    140 mls of milk or there abouts

Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and mix together using the pulse mechanism until it just forms a dough. If it is too runny, add a little extra flour to make a soft dough
    tip onto a floured surface and pat together to make one large piece of dough, about one inch thick - do not roll out
    Use a medium-large pastry cutter and place straight down and straight up, making sure that you do not twist the cutter
    place on a baking tray and bake until golden all over (between 12-15 minutes depending on the size) on a medium-hot heat of about 170 fan assisted, which I suppose would be about 200 in a normal oven?
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
  • Kadeeae
    .................Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and mix together using the pulse mechanism until it just forms a dough. If it is too runny, add a little extra flour to make a soft dough tip onto a floured surface ..............
    Originally posted by wssla00
    Ooo, thanks for that! Have been put off making scones for ages due to the "rubbing butter into flour until it's like breadcrumbs" bit. I always ended up with something that looked nothing like breadcrumb, more of a 'blob'

Shall give the food processor method a go!
  • wssla00
    I was never very good at the rubbing bit as I always worked the gluten too much. The food processor seems to work a lot better for me!

I am going to be very naughty tonight and order in a takeaway! Awful I know but I order the kids portion (2.25) and it is HUGE!

I got my lunch paid for this afternoon in a fancy restaurant and it was so lovely! Really nice! So that helped too!

Have a good evening all, I will try and remember what I put in the rhubarb ice cream and post that too
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
  • brodie1
    takeaways and scones
    Hi Wssla00
    If we have a takeaway at our local chinease me and dh always order the one pesron set and some prawn crackers and it does us fine, if our son is in we add an extra rice. So I know what you mean about sizes of portions. It means both me and dh get a takeaway for about 5.00 between us!!!
    Thanks for the scone recipies going tomake it tonight
    Brodie1
    Brodie 1/ july 300/330.62August300/322.49
    September 300/239.78Oct300/258.50Nov 250/282.24 December 300/300.01 JAN 2011 300/288.72 . September 300/319.19, October 300/351.59Three adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
  • seductivesmile
    Cheap Lunches

I am thoroughly bored of my pasta with sauce/ham sandwich, !
    Originally posted by ~moneysavingnovice~
    Hi,
    I was the same for a while, and then i would make enough tea for left overs too, but i got frustrated eating the same for tea and then for lunch, so what i do now is either make a pizza, or a risotto using up the left over veg and little pieces of meat, or some couscous, but if you dont have left over veg (my woofie won't eat f & v but peaches ??) you could buy a bag of mixed veg from the freezer section at your supermarket about 1 if that, and add some to couscous with spices and herbs, or to risotto which will keep in the fridge a couple of days, and theres nothing wrong with good old fashioned cheese and tomato pizza!

What i have also done a few times is a puff pastry tart -
    Puff pastry, topped with tomato puree mixed with a little water and some herbs, then chopped up tomatoes, peppers, any oddment of meat and brie, which lasts for a couple of days (if i dont eat it all) in the fridge and it's only pennies really to make as Mr A had the puff pastry on offer at 25p at the time.

You could try the occasional salad if you're growing things in an allotment, or mix some frozen beans and brocolli with a little soy sauce and noodles or rice, in the autumn months there are countless filling soup mixes you could make to fill you up and keep you warm. Or occasionally when i am feeling really lazy... (blushes) Cheese, crackers, pickled onions, and pineapple chunks..... mmmm...

Also if you take desserts to work, try making your own in lots of little pots! saved me lots of pennies! opposed to 1 each, i made my own cheesecakes using a packet mix and made 6 for 87p!

Anyhow - hope this gives you some ideas!

SS xx
    Each day is a new beginning, look at what you have an be grateful for every tiny thing. You don't know when it may be taken away.
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 30th Jul 10, 6:33 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Hi All!

First time poster here (though I've been browsing this thread and taking hints and inspiration from you all for over a year now)!

If it's okay for me to join, I would like to set a budget of 80 for August. This covers breakfast when I can be bothered to have it , but eaten and using works milk, lunches for work, and dinners 3 or 4 times a week (my flatmate and I take turns cooking). I go out twice a month for a meal or drinks but include this in my minimal entertainment budget.

I'm not sure how much I generally spend a month, but I've set myself a target of paying off 1600 of my final credit card by November (down from 6000 this time last year). Since my entertainment budget is minimal and I only buy clothes if I have a gift voucher at the moment the food budget is the only one which can give a bit! :-) It will be a struggle because my salary is not high by no means, but I've already taken (more) inspiration from the DFW board over the last year, without posting of course, so I know what I am doing is right.

I've got a good storecupboard and freezer of meat, but as soon as I see something on the reduced aisle, or a BOGOF my resistance goes out of the window!

Anyway - sorry for my rambling - I look forward to posting more, and being a 'proper' Old Schooler'!
  • EvieSaver
    Hi All

This is my first post ever on this website but I'm very happy to be here. It's great to finally find some other people who also like to save money - all of my friends and family are big spenders. I would like to join your grocery challenge. My normal budget is 85 per week but I've never actually totalled a month before to see how I did. So for August my target would be 5 Tuesdays at 85 = 425. I have a hubby, a toddler and a baby (requiring nappies and milk formula) so fingers crossed.
  • EvieSaver
    Hi There,

Can you put me down for 250 this month, gonna try and make it something we have a chance of doing
    Originally posted by honeybun16
    This is an amazing budget with 4 kids! How do you do it? - Do you have a quick tip or two for me? - I'm new to this site.
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 30th Jul 10, 7:17 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    28 spent today in Mr S on the weekly groceries. Fruit bought for the week for work, will need some more bananas and milk later on in the week.

See if I can stretch out the freezer stocks some more.....
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • youngmum
    Hey everyone

I'd like to join in for this month please. All settled in my new house and time to focus on counting the pennies again. My wage has a long way to stretch in August (big family wedding, back to school stuff, 2 x big birthdays, general school holiday costs etc) and so really need to stick to a budget with my groceries.

Can you put me down for 200 please?

Thank you.
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 30th Jul 10, 8:20 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 6,309 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    Do you count grocery spending on holiday in your montly total? Going to be abroad for 6 days in August, we are hopeless at controlling spending on holiday - it's a case of 'oh go on, we're on holiday, let's not spoil it by pennypinching'... any alternative angles we could take?
    Erratically money saving
    • notjustlaura
    • By notjustlaura 30th Jul 10, 8:43 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 5,992 Thanks
    notjustlaura

I am thoroughly bored of my pasta with sauce/ham sandwich, so much so that today and yesterday I resorted to buying it from Mr S which was naughty.
    Originally posted by ~moneysavingnovice~
    Couscous salad?
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • ~moneysavingnovice~
    Have taken inspiration from the brilliant posters on this thread again and got plenty of cous cous for next week's lunches. Will defo try the puff pastry soon too!

Spent 63 in Mr S tonight, which is the week's food plus 10 on alcohol and plenty of food and treats for pup so I'm fairly pleased given that my budget is 70 a week.
    Last edited by ~moneysavingnovice~; 30-07-2010 at 9:41 PM.
    Mortgage148,725 Student loan13,050 HSBC loan12,221
    AprGC:/320
    • Downsizing _for_sanity
    • By Downsizing _for_sanity 30th Jul 10, 10:36 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    Downsizing _for_sanity
    Please could you add me to Aug?

Downsizing for Sanity - 220 for Aug 2010

This will mean I'll have to be a bit more "creative" with meals to use up stuff in the freezer and fridge, but baby no 2 is due !st of Oct and I'd really like to make space so I can have a freezer full of HM ready meals for after the birth!

I looked at making my budget 1 per person per meal per day - which would be 279 for August - but that's far too much, bearing in mind we often have porridge for breakfast and boiled eggs from our hens for lunch/high tea.

220 works out at 78.8p per meal, so I'll go for that. This included cleaning stuff, (but not any luxury toiletries - saving my Boots points for them!) toilet roll, and stocking up on a few newborn nappies and wipes depending on what coupons I get sent, hoping to be using reusables by about Christmas time.

Good luck everyone - another shiny month!

DFS
    Last edited by Downsizing _for_sanity; 30-07-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to make red and big!
  • MindaJ
    Hi! I've been reading the grocery challenge for a few months and I think I'm ready to join in. Can you put me down for $50 for the calender month of August please. This will be a one off target for me, it's less than half what I normally spend, I just want to see how I go living out of the pantry and freezer.

I've been thinking about it for a couple of days, and I've stocked up in preparation. Sounds kind of silly, I know, but my stores were running low and my unofficial challenge is to not spend anything, so I needed to be well stocked. I managed over a fortnight of not spending last month, so I'll see if I can stretch it a bit longer. I'm planning on only spending my $50 on reduced meat (I'm keeping my eye out for mince because I know I only have one packet left, enough for a lasagne, and I don't see it reduced very often), reduced stir fry noodles (again, not something I see very often), fresh veg for meals I decide to batch cook and the too good to pass up offers. I will withdraw the money on Monday (payday) and only use it. I usually spend cash anyway, but if there are offers that I don't have cash for I break out eftpos. None of that this month!

I shop for myself; I live at home still but I buy and cook almost all my own food. Milk, potatoes and carrots are shared usually. I have chickens and a garden so eggs and fresh fruit and veg are plentiful. I have more oranges and lemons than I know what to do with. I work in a cafe/bakery and I'm allowed to take some things home from there (I call it rescuing things from the bin, as that's where they end up) so I don't have to bake or buy my own sweet things. A shame really, as I love baking.

One thing I am going to do is continue to budget my usual amount for groceries every week. I use the envelope system, so buy putting aside my usual amount every week I'll be able to restock at the end of the month. It'll hurt less than withdrawing all the money for a big shop at once. And if I realise that I really don't need to spend that much money it's off to the bottle shop for me!

I think I'll leave the essay there.
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 31st Jul 10, 6:17 AM
    • 806 Posts
    • 10,228 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Thank you very much for your hard work MrsM, Pink & Rosieben We'd be lost without you and probably a lot poorer!!

Sorry to hear of your loss Rosieben

Hellooo to any newbies (quite a few so forgive if I don't name you all!) good to have you on board

Hoping for a no spend day but we shall see......

Wssla00, your scone recipie sounds yum, may try this afternoon!!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 3 2 JUNE GC 192.92/300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • suzybloo
    • By suzybloo 31st Jul 10, 7:58 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 8,740 Thanks
    suzybloo
    Hello folks Can I join in please - I have lost my way considerably over the last six months or so but really want to and need to get back on track, as you never know whats round the corner. I am appalled at the amount of cash I have frittered and wasted. This month I am giving myself 450 for everything, which I usually had 175 per week for everything in the past - I will reduce it gradually to get things back down to the 350. I am away to pick up berries today to make jam so that will cost a fair bit, but will save in the long run. I have bought a new academic diary that starts now and will note everything religiously in it.

idea for lunch - scotch egg? Hard boiled egg wrapped in sausagemeat, dipped in egg and rolled in breadcrumbs baked in oven or deep fried with salad - lovely and costs about 40-50p

Good luck to everyone for August
    Suz
    Last edited by suzybloo; 31-07-2010 at 8:04 AM.
    Every days a School day!
    • looie
    • By looie 31st Jul 10, 8:04 AM
    • 701 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    looie
    hi all, first spend of the month 7.40 in Mr T. I'm going shopping with my sister and mum today only need milk and yoghurts so I will update my sig later
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

600Posts Today

5,811Users online

Martin's Twitter