Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Apr 10, 2:53 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Apr 10, 2:53 PM
    May 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Apr 10 at 2:53 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-04-2010 at 5:30 PM.
Page 19
    • hex2
    • By hex2 10th May 10, 4:51 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    purplevamp - you can whiz granulated in the food processor to get it the same texture as caster sugar if this helps?
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • gien
    • By gien 10th May 10, 5:23 PM
    • 1,645 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    gien
    Spent 20.60 F on a few bits and bobs today and then 13F on a bunch of flowers for a thank you present. Hoping for NSD tomorrow - think I have everything I need.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 10th May 10, 5:51 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    NSD again for me - I'll be baking later; I did some last week but after visitors and sharing with my elderly auntie, there isn't much left; so making pear and chocolate upside-down pudding plus chocolate cakes, maybe brownies, for today I think.
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Oooohhhh, rosieben you can't get away with mentioning such a scrumptious sounding dessert as pear and chocolate upsidedown pudding and get away without giving us the recipe!!! I have looked on the recipe list at the front of the thread and can't see it so please, please, please would you post the details?

Another NSD for me today, we seem to be doing quite well this month so far but will need to shop tomorrow as we didn't go to the butcher, greengrocer, etc on Saturday. And we're still contemplating an online order but only have a free delivery code from MrS and am hoping for a better offer in an email from MrT!

Good luck to everyone who needs it, keep up the fantastic achievements.

All the best for now,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • ASC
    • By ASC 10th May 10, 6:40 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ASC
    Hello everyone.

A mixed weekend really, DH was away and wanted some things to take - coke (proper stuff from Mr T rather than reasonably priced Mr L substitute) and beer as well as a loaf of bread (Iíve got into the habit of making all our bread and havenít bought a loaf this year so that really hurt!) although I did threaten to make him pay for all that. That must have put me in a strange mood Ďcos I also bought some wine for me and doughnuts for the children so my small list of things I actually needed for the week still turned into a £54 bill

On the positive side thoughÖ I turned the sprouty potatoes and an OOD jar of sauce into a tasty gratin for Wednesday tea; used a mixture of frozen potato products instead of buying more frozen chips for Thursday tea; and on Friday (after the chaos caused by DH being disorganised and children going to bed late) I didnít reach for the hidden Pringles or make do with a piece of toast (Iím not good at cooking just for myself), I made some chicken fried rice which was delicious and cheap and even without precooked rice it was done faster than DH can pick up a takeaway!!! (Sorry but Iím very proud of that one).

Iím ashamed to admit it, but previously Iíd have ignored the potatoes until they got too disgusting to do anything with and automatically gone out to buy chips rather than using up an alternative. Please donít throw me out of here, Iím trying to reform and itís reading and posting here thatís helping me to change.

Anyway, sorry for long post. IF we stick to meal plan I donít need anything until normal weekly shop on Friday so fingers crossed for lots of lovely NSDs.

Thanks for the support.

A x
    • slowandsteady
    • By slowandsteady 10th May 10, 6:47 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    slowandsteady
    Hi everyone,

nsd here today, helped by the fact my back is killing me after i fell a couple of weeks ago and caused some damage, so wouldnt be able to carry my bags back anyway!

Meal planned for next few days so dont have to get any significant shopping till Friday at earliest i would think, here's hoping anyway!

Night x
    • ASC
    • By ASC 10th May 10, 6:54 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ASC
    Not going so well. We were invited to a BBQ at the weekend and ended up spending £30.70 at Mr M on meat etc. because not sure what we were expected to take!

Another small shop in Iceland yesterday, £15.30 , will hopefully see us through the week. Will definitely have to stick to meal plan and raid the freezer to ensure I come within budget. I thought it was all going so well after month one!!
    Originally posted by cookiemum
    I sympathise, I find a BBQ makes a really expensive meal as we eat a far larger proportion of meat than for a 'normal' meal.

A x
  • missy dee
    Hi all

Quick update. Spent £21 on an online catfood shop - enormous bag - enough to keep my 2 hungry mogs happy - well into next month! Also spent £16 on food bits over the last week - mainly fruit & veg, bread milk etc. Got a few reduced bits but the real bargains seem to be few and far between - also prices seem to be sneaking up again....

Anyhow spent a good chunk of my budget given it's only the 10th May - but I'm away for most of next week and the following weekend so should be okay if I stick to the meal plan - famous last words!

I have a couple of cheaper shops near me which I think I might try out - farm foods and netto - can anyone recommend them??

Take care everyone.

Dee
    • butdoineedit?
    • By butdoineedit? 10th May 10, 9:26 PM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 13,263 Thanks
    butdoineedit?
    Hi all

Spent just over £18 at the weekend, but all sensible stuff i had run out of & was very pleased that i managed to stick to the list
    £2 on definitely non essential things today but better than the tenner i would have blown previously.

Looking more on track to hit budget this month, so feeling quite pleased with myself
    February NSD challenge 5/15
    • purplevamp
    • By purplevamp 10th May 10, 11:41 PM
    • 8,369 Posts
    • 398,962 Thanks
    purplevamp
    purplevamp - you can whiz granulated in the food processor to get it the same texture as caster sugar if this helps?
    Originally posted by hex2
    Hi Hex ~ yes, I was thinking of doing this but I always seem to whizz it too long and end up with icing sugar . I'll have to pulse it very slowly if I do. Actually it would be a way to use up the packets of single serve sugars "borrowed" from cafes that seem to have taken over a kitchen cupboard
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £123,375.38 Jan 2038

Swagbucks ~ £150 (2018 ~ £350)
    Surveys ~ £122.75 (2018 ~ £287.85)
    PTC, etc ~ $69.95 ~ (2018 ~ $287.34)

ďI Love You" "I Know"
    • savvyshe
    • By savvyshe 11th May 10, 5:23 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    savvyshe
    Goodmorning everyone,

Thanks Rosieben for the link I have just glanced at it and I don't believe it! Last bank hols we went to Salts Mill in Shipley Yorkshire and in one of the book galleries I saw the very same book DS3 and DH was with me and you know what fellers are like! couldn't get out fast enough oh! I could of sat all day looking at all the fab pictures can't remember the price but think I might order it from the Library .
    Sorry I can't do the quote thingy could someone perhaps give me some instructuons I'm hopeless on the computer. Thanks once again my heart skipped a beat when I saw the book (how sad is that) Had a nsd day again yesterday but have lots more unexpected spends missed my neices 21st!! and DS had another trip to pay for plus another birthday party lets hope June is a bit more frugal! x Savvyshe
    Last edited by savvyshe; 11-05-2010 at 5:27 AM.
    M&S 2,200.00
    Barclaycard £3840.00
    • savvyshe
    • By savvyshe 11th May 10, 6:00 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    savvyshe
    Rosieben, our caravan is similar to yours. Just had a look at Constance wow! she's lovely!! Last year we added an oven, which has been a bonus, a new carpet and cushions. I think I might have a go at curtains next. Is'nt it exciting.!! xx Savvyshe
    Last edited by savvyshe; 11-05-2010 at 6:19 AM.
    M&S 2,200.00
    Barclaycard £3840.00
  • rosieben
    Oooohhhh, rosieben you can't get away with mentioning such a scrumptious sounding dessert as pear and chocolate upsidedown pudding and get away without giving us the recipe!!!...
    Originally posted by Spiggle
    Spigs, I really thought I’d already posted it, but as you say, it isn’t in the list so heaven knows where I put it! This is basically the same as a pineapple upside down cake of course. I think chocolate and pears go really well together.

Pear and chocolate upside down pudding (or cake - whichever you prefer)

Tin of pear halves, drained well, and arranged flat side down in the bottom of a deep dish; I put a cherry in the dent in each pear piece. You could slice each pear half into 3 or 4 thinner slices if you like.

You can use any chocolate sponge cake recipe but here’s one to try

6 oz / 175g butter
    6 0z /175g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    6 oz /175g SR flour
    2 oz / 50g cocoa powder
    1 tsp baking powder
    pinch salt

Pour the sponge mix over the pears and bake at 170 for about 30 minutes or until cooked.

Theoretically you’re supposed to turn the cake out onto a plate so that the pears and cherries look pretty when you serve but I’ve never actually had the nerve to try it!

savvyshe, I love Constance, those pictures make me want to get out my crochet hooks and try granny squares again! I’ll check in our library for the book because I’d love to have a proper look through it.

That isn’t my caravan though, sad to say! Attic24 is one of my favourites from a long list of blogs I follow through Bloglines; she always has something colourful and I love her crochet I’m interested to see how she pretties the caravan up.

I can't get going this morning (that's why I'm here on OS ) but I need to check what's in the freezer for dinner. Working through my stocks quite well, I'm down to my last tin of the mushrooms bought on special at lidl but I found another 8 tins of tuna (also bought on special) in a carrier bag on the floor of the store room where I'd obviously put them when I didnt have room on the shelf Time for a bit of a sort out I think, in case there are other treasures lurking underfoot.

no spending for me today. Have a good day all
    Last edited by rosieben; 11-05-2010 at 8:47 AM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 11th May 10, 8:28 AM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 29,765 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...spent a bit yesterday...tomatoes 59p in tesco b1g2f so that seemed a good deal...now have toms all over the worktop

also went to aldi and got green beans pineapple apples and courgettes all 59p i thought that was good

got to make a curry for tea and prep some veg...could be a nsd...fingers crossed

tata tess
    onwards and upwards
    • lilian1977
    • By lilian1977 11th May 10, 9:01 AM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 18,375 Thanks
    lilian1977
    Spent £1.80 on 2 big bottle of Vimto in Quality Save yesterday, subtotal updated.

My debt free diary
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • MrsBsBlog
    Good morning all
    Had a NSD yesterday, so was pleased with that, but popped down the road this morning and spent £19.16, but this did include a bulk buy from the butchers for some mince. So I have frozen some for next month and will do a big pot of spag bog/chilli mixture for some of this months meals.

I`ve now got dough mixing in the bread machine and some banana muffins nearly ready to come out. Recipe`s from here somewhere, so will see how they turn out.
    Grocery Challenge 2010 £400 each month
    January £377.67 February £375.18 March £355.43
    April £506.23 May £381.04 June £88.58
    • lizbob
    • By lizbob 11th May 10, 9:49 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    lizbob
    hmmm..... up to 130 already, but OH and I sat down and planned the next three weeks from the freezer and storecupboard so should be ok fingers crossed. plus quick question? OH got given some vouchers as a bonus at work, you cvhoose which shop to get them for and we chose sainsbury's (so we spend them on stuff we would have bought anyway rather than "looking for things to buy"), but do these count as part of our challenge or are the groceries we buy with them effectively free?

i was thinking we could stock up on things we normally don't have much of like wine and other treats?
    Budget month runs 25-25. household of four
    October Grocery budget 100/ 200
    • gien
    • By gien 11th May 10, 9:51 AM
    • 1,645 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    gien
    another 21 F bur I used up 30 F of vouchers so would have been more. It's proving really diffilcult to keep the budget low.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 11th May 10, 9:58 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    ....Iíve got into the habit of making all our bread and havenít bought a loaf this year so that really hurt! mmm--know how that feels ....
    On the positive side thoughÖ I turned the sprouty potatoes and an OOD jar of sauce into a tasty gratin for Wednesday tea; used a mixture of frozen potato products instead of buying more frozen chips for Thursday tea; and on Friday (after the chaos caused by DH being disorganised and children going to bed late) I didnít reach for the hidden Pringles or make do with a piece of toast (Iím not good at cooking just for myself), I made some chicken fried rice which was delicious and cheap and even without precooked rice it was done faster than DH can pick up a takeaway!!! (Sorry but Iím very proud of that one). Don't be sorry; shout it from the rooftops! You are justified in celebrating your minor victories
    Iím ashamed to admit it, but previously Iíd have ignored the potatoes until they got too disgusting to do anything with and automatically gone out to buy chips rather than using up an alternative. Please donít throw me out of here, Iím trying to reform and itís reading and posting here thatís helping me to change.
    ....Thanks for the support....
    Originally posted by ASC
    This is a very supportive group & I promise you I do read every day but don't always have anything to say, altho The Offspring would probably argue on that

It must be make-do-menus-in-May; everyone seems to be using up the stores they already have in The other day I defrosted some pork sausagemeat & managed to do 10 adult portions by adding a couple of tins of pulses, eggs & fresh breadcrumbs that had been lurking in the freezer. I guess it turned out like a meatloaf, with one lot topped with puff pastry [also a freezer find] & served with mash, veg & gravy & the other cooked at the same time. An OOD jar of pasta sauce plus tinned toms, chopped peppers & onions was heated in a saucepan & the second meatloaf chopped up & stirred thru at the end, to serve over spaghetti. Neither were a terrific success but both were edible & I've resolved to never buy sausagemeat again as we just don't like it very much I guess
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• gin
    Have had two £7 off a £50 spend till spit so last two weeks' main shops have been at Mr T's. Managed to get it to £51 both times, so feeling very smug! Have topped up with veg from Super 6 at Aldi, but feeling on track for this month.
    • greent
    • By greent 11th May 10, 10:24 AM
    • 8,114 Posts
    • 82,412 Thanks
    greent
    I must get bread today - DH and DD don't like homemade for their packed lunches and I've ran out of back up supplies in the freezer. I'll get it from Mr T and check the whoopsies. I'll also pop in aldi for their super 6, as I haven't enough fruit for lunchboxes either. I would have left it to DH but I need to go to the PO anyway. Mission is to keep spends low as poss!! Famous last words.......
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1972.10/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,542Users online

Martin's Twitter