Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    littlekitten
    Tinned pineapple questions and ideas
    • 5th May 07, 10:05 PM
    Tinned pineapple questions and ideas 5th May 07 at 10:05 PM
    Hi,

Today I made semi home made pizza .,... bought the base put bolonese sauce, mixture of toppings and mozzerella on it ... it was not bad but I think it needs some real practice ( currently its edible but I wouldn't serve it to someone I liked!!!!)

But my real problem is I made a sort of salad with t he extra's from most of the toppings, but I bought a tin of pineapple chunks and used about 1/10 of the tin ....

Does anyone have any idea's of anything I could use the pineapple up in ... it seems a real waste just to throw it out

cc
    Good Enough Club member number 22
Page 2
  • falady
    How about pineapple upsidedown cake? I don't have a specific recipe, but its just tinned pineapple slices on the bottom of a pyrex type dish, with a glace cherry in the middle of each ring if you've got them, then a sponge mix on top, then bake it in the oven.

HTH,

Ali x
    Not Buying It 2015
  • BitterAndTwisted
    I'd make a pineapple version of Eve's Pudding and pour a sponge-cake mixture over it. I expect that makes it a Pineapple-Upside-Down cake, really
  • aliadds
    Yummy. I love pineapple. You could do pineapple upside down cake or pineapple fritters. I also like them caramelised with brown sugar and served with ice cream!
    HTH
    Less is more
  • aliadds
    How about pineapple upsidedown cake? I don't have a specific recipe, but its just tinned pineapple slices on the bottom of a pyrex type dish, with a glace cherry in the middle of each ring if you've got them, then a sponge mix on top, then bake it in the oven.

HTH,

Ali x
    Originally posted by falady
    It seems like the 'Ali's' think alike!
    Less is more
  • Trinny
    I put the pineapple in the bottom of a greased dish - top with victoria sandwich sponge mixture and bake as for eves pudding.

I did it with windfall pears last autumn too - it came out really well - and OH wolfed the lot

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May 39.47/55. June 47.20/50. July 38.44/50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011
  • Princess Tiger
    I made a pineapple sponge cake at the weekend. The recipe was from someone on here but I'm really sorry I can't remember who.

Pudding: Pineapple sponge cake

1 can of pineapple pieces in juice (19p Sains/23p Tesco)
    250 g sugar (Sains granulates @72p/kg = 18pTesco caster@ 77p/Kg = 19.3p)
    van. essence to taste (Sains @ 22p/10ml = 11pTesco @17p/10ml = 8.5p)
    150ml of vegetable oil (Sains @ 7p/100ml = 11p, Tesco @ 10p/100ml = 15p)
    350 g self raising flour (Sains @ 24p/Kg = 8.4p Tesco @24p/Kg = 8.4p)
    3 teaspoons baking powder (Sains @ 2.18/kg = 1.6p, Tesco @ 2.18/kg = 1.6p)
    Sains cost = 69p
    Tesco cost = 76p

Mix the first sugar, vanilla essence and vegetable oil together. Pour the pineapple juice into a measuring jug, and pour in enough water to get a volume of 330ml. Add the juice mixture to the other wet ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients together, and add them to the juice mixture a little at a time, beating them together well.

Prepare 2 8 inch cake tins, (greased and floured) and pour half the batter into each tin. Sprinkle half the pineapple pieces over each tin, and bake for about 25 minutes at gas mark 5 until they are golden brown.

The cake was yummy but like I said, I can't claim ownership of it, it's not my recipe. All credit to whoevers on here it is! Sorry I can't accredit you by name

xx
  • wssla00
    Make sure you pop glace cherries in they are delicious
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 9th Mar 10, 12:13 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 4,556 Thanks
    juliettet
    Put coconut in the sponge mix - tropical!
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 9th Mar 10, 12:51 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    Do you have any digestive biscuits and cream?

My mum always used to make like a cheesecake thing with pinapple?
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
    • no.1swimmum
    • By no.1swimmum 9th Mar 10, 12:55 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    no.1swimmum
    after you have greased the tin/dish sprinkle with brown sugar before you place the pineapple in, and then I just make a basic victoria sponge mix, you get a lovely caramelisation (ohh big word probably not spelt correctly).

Probably can't do this for tonight but worth remembering, if (a big if) we have any wine left, normally red as we are not lovers of it, I freezer it in the ice cube trays and then decant to a food bag, when making casseroles etc, I pop a couple of the cubes in and it totally changes the taste.

I am sure that your visitors will enjoy what you serve them.
    Fibro-Warrior
    • Queen-Bee
    • By Queen-Bee 9th Mar 10, 1:10 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 2,233 Thanks
    Queen-Bee
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys... please keep them coming!!! I am veering towards the idea of Princess Tiger's sponge at the moment (but what goes in the middle of it?) or upside down cake at the moment, but I don't have any glace cherries and would rather use what I've got to hand at the moment!!!
    QB
  • moggylover
    Instead of using a sponge cake mix you could use a "yorkshire pudding" type batter and make a "clafouti":

Butter shallow dish and arrange pineapple in it.

Mix:

1/2 cup of granulated sugar
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup of milk
    3 tbsnpns flour (self raising)
    a pinch of salt

adding the flour last and a little at a time, to make a thick pourable batter.

Pour over pineapple and bake at 325/170/gas 3 to 4 until slightly golden and firm.

I sometimes add a little cream if I get the batter a little too thick and you can use honey instead of the sugar.
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • pollyskettle
    I make mini pineapple upside down cakes in a muffin tin (cupcake tin too small, I find).

Grease tins liberally, teaspoon of demerara in each space and then shake tin a little to make sure the sugar coats evenly. Pineapple in bottom (with cherries if available) and then all in one sponge mixture on top to about 2/3 up the edge. Idea came about as I made way too much sponge mixture for some traybakes I was making and needed a way to use it up.

They look really cute and come out really easily (which I wasn't expecting!! I thought they'd be welded in).

IIRC, tinned pineapple doesn't stop jelly setting (I may be wrong though, I often am ) so you could make a milk jelly and add the pineapple.

Or caramelised pineapple (I think someone said that - it sounds divine!)

Off to pick children up now, but I watch this thread with interest
    "A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
    "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
  • hermie
    Pineapple custard
    Pineapple Custard

Ingredients
    serves 4
    1 X 376 g (13 oz) can crushed pineapple
    3 tbls (25 g) 1 oz cornflour
    400 ml (14 fl oz) milk
    2 eggs, separated
    2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz caster sugar

Method

1. Drain the pineapple, pouring the juice into a jug and spreading the fruit in a 750 ml/ 1 1/4 pint ovenproof dish.

2. In a bowl, blend the cornflour to a smooth paste with a little of the milk. Heat the rest of the milk in a saucepan until it is just below boiling point, then pour on to the blended cornflour. Stir in well.

3. Return the mixture to the clean saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.

4. Boil gently for 1 - 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the reserved pineapple juice.

5. Add the egg yolks to the cornflour sauce. Stir well. Return to the heat and cook very gently, without boiling, stirring all the time, until the mixture thickens.

6. Remove from the heat and leave to cool; stir from time to time to prevent the formation of a skin.

7. Set the oven at 140c (275f) gas 1.

8. Pour the cooled custard over the crushed pineapple.

9. In a clean, grease free bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in most of the sugar.

10. Spread the meringue mixture over the custard, making sure that it is completely covered.

11. Sprinkle with the rest of the sugar.

12. Bake for 30 minutes until the meringue is crisp and browned.

Recipe taken from here

Ps Think I added a little extra sugar to the custard part but that's maybe just me!
  • Princess Tiger
    Middle of pineapple sponge
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys... please keep them coming!!! I am veering towards the idea of Princess Tiger's sponge at the moment (but what goes in the middle of it?) or upside down cake at the moment, but I don't have any glace cherries and would rather use what I've got to hand at the moment!!!
    QB
    Originally posted by Queen-Bee
    I'm probably way too late to be of use but I made a simple buttercream frosting which I used in the middle and the top of the sponge.
    It was just butter, icing sugar and some of the juice from the tinned pineapple beaten together well.

Hope you and your friend had a nice time!
    xx
  • BitterAndTwisted
    I don't know whether the OP made her pineapple-upside-down cake but I have, inspired purely by this thread. I've had that tin of pineapple pieces in the store-cupboard for yonks and yonks so I'm glad that I've used it up. I'm just waiting for it to cool down and shall be having it after I've eaten my home-made veg soup for dinner. Yum
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 9th Mar 10, 7:40 PM
    • 10,113 Posts
    • 12,748 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    If it's not too late, add some pineapple juice to the stew and call it sweet-and-sour.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 14th Mar 10, 12:26 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    Hi Queen-Bee

Now you have plenty of ideas, I have added your thread to the existing one on tinned pineapple, to keep the ideas together

thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• jenster
    • By jenster 15th Mar 10, 5:41 AM
    • 483 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    jenster
    i adore pineapple

and often froze fresh and tinned when the kids were little cos there was leftovers
    i used to make pineapple muffins

and made pineapple lollys - my kids loved them
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Mar 10, 8:41 AM
    • 16,929 Posts
    • 144,929 Thanks
    JackieO
    I too love pineapple,as I find it so refreshing .I made a pineapple trifle last week and it really did cost buttons to make

1 small tin of pineapple rings 20p
    1 pineapple jelly 20p
    half a packet of trifle sponge 25p (or you could use a slightly going hard left over sponge cake)
    1 small tin of evaporated milk 36p
    put the jelly squares into a jug and half fill with cold water and the drained of juice from the tin of pineapple,nuke it in the microwave and top up with cold water until you have a pint
    bung into a glass serving bowl and chop up the pineapple leaving half to got on the top.put the first half into the jelly so its settles on the bottom soak the sponges on the top so there is a base for the rest of the pineapple to lie on and leave to set.when fully set and hard make a custard with some sugar and birds custard powder and the evaporated milk (This is really creamy, normally I do a small tin, plus one and a half tins of water to dilute it )top the trifle with the custard mix and leave to set.This was so nice last week ,true there was only me to eat it, but it did for pudding for four days and was so nice I am going to make one this week.I find that if I have a substantial pud then I don't have to have such a large dinner first,so often a salad with a jacket spud is quite filling
    cost around a pound to make and well worth it
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,036Posts Today

8,100Users online

Martin's Twitter