PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tinned pineapple questions and ideas

Comments

• BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd make a pineapple version of Eve's Pudding and pour a sponge-cake mixture over it. I expect that makes it a Pineapple-Upside-Down cake, really
  • aliadds
    aliadds Posts: 26,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yummy. I love pineapple. You could do pineapple upside down cake or pineapple fritters. I also like them caramelised with brown sugar and served with ice cream!
    HTH:)
    Less is more
  • aliadds
    aliadds Posts: 26,242 Forumite
    falady wrote: »
    How about pineapple upsidedown cake? I don't have a specific recipe, but its just tinned pineapple slices on the bottom of a pyrex type dish, with a glace cherry in the middle of each ring if you've got them, then a sponge mix on top, then bake it in the oven.

HTH,

Ali x

It seems like the 'Ali's' think alike!;)
    Less is more
  • Trinny
    Trinny Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Post
    I put the pineapple in the bottom of a greased dish - top with victoria sandwich sponge mixture and bake as for eves pudding.

I did it with windfall pears last autumn too - it came out really well - and OH wolfed the lot

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011:)
  • I made a pineapple sponge cake at the weekend. The recipe was from someone on here but I'm really sorry I can't remember who.

Pudding: Pineapple sponge cake

1 can of pineapple pieces in juice (19p Sains/23p Tesco)
    250 g sugar (Sains granulates @72p/kg = 18pTesco caster@ 77p/Kg = 19.3p)
    van. essence to taste (Sains @ 22p/10ml = 11pTesco @17p/10ml = 8.5p)
    150ml of vegetable oil (Sains @ 7p/100ml = 11p, Tesco @ 10p/100ml = 15p)
    350 g self raising flour (Sains @ 24p/Kg = 8.4p Tesco @24p/Kg = 8.4p)
    3 teaspoons baking powder (Sains @ 2.18/kg = 1.6p, Tesco @ 2.18/kg = 1.6p)
    Sains cost = 69p
    Tesco cost = 76p

Mix the first sugar, vanilla essence and vegetable oil together. Pour the pineapple juice into a measuring jug, and pour in enough water to get a volume of 330ml. Add the juice mixture to the other wet ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients together, and add them to the juice mixture a little at a time, beating them together well.

Prepare 2 8 inch cake tins, (greased and floured) and pour half the batter into each tin. Sprinkle half the pineapple pieces over each tin, and bake for about 25 minutes at gas mark 5 until they are golden brown.

The cake was yummy but like I said, I can't claim ownership of it, it's not my recipe. All credit to whoevers on here it is! Sorry I can't accredit you by name :)

xx
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Make sure you pop glace cherries in :) they are delicious :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Put coconut in the sponge mix - tropical!
  • nuttyrockeress
    nuttyrockeress Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    Do you have any digestive biscuits and cream?

My mum always used to make like a cheesecake thing with pinapple?
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • no.1swimmum
    no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    after you have greased the tin/dish sprinkle with brown sugar before you place the pineapple in, and then I just make a basic victoria sponge mix, you get a lovely caramelisation (ohh big word probably not spelt correctly).

Probably can't do this for tonight but worth remembering, if (a big if) we have any wine left, normally red as we are not lovers of it, I freezer it in the ice cube trays and then decant to a food bag, when making casseroles etc, I pop a couple of the cubes in and it totally changes the taste.

I am sure that your visitors will enjoy what you serve them.
    Fibro-Warrior
  • Queen-Bee_2
    Queen-Bee_2 Posts: 828 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys... please keep them coming!!! I am veering towards the idea of Princess Tiger's sponge at the moment (but what goes in the middle of it?) or upside down cake at the moment, but I don't have any glace cherries and would rather use what I've got to hand at the moment!!!
    QB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport