Give pocket money as pay, otherwise you're 'trust fund teaching': blog discussion

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Please click reply to discuss below.

Comments

• grastgirl
    grastgirl Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    Pocket money is a useful teaching tool, but if you're really poor it can be a drain you just can't afford. My Dad was self-employed, so we tended to ask for money for specific things we needed, if he had it then we got it, if he was skint we didn't. Probably taught me to be more careful with money than normal pocket money because I didn't know when I would next be able to get some from him. Can't ever remember it being attached to behaviour/chores. We did get paid if we were helping him at work, pretty sure I went from 20p, to £1, to £5 a day (never did get the hang of negotiating properly with him, but I got whole uninterrupted days with him that I still treasure the memory of, so I don't feel it was that unfair).
    MFW #66 - £4800 target
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    I think that's a good system proposed for younger children.

Older children, 11+. I think the system that my parents had worked really well. We were given our child benefits for clothes. We had to buy uniform first so had to plan ahead and save enough for September/March when there was more to buy. If we really wanted expensive clothes, we had to budget. Worked really well. (It's not my debt in my signature before someone asks!)
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • keletubbie
    keletubbie Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    People think I am mad to give my two year old daughter pocket money. But she is already showing responsibility!

Each week she gets 6 50p pieces - 2 from me, 2 from my mum and 2 from her great grandad. She puts half in her purse and half in her money box.

She knows that the ones in her purse will buy a comic, or some sweets, but the ones in her money box are for taking on days out. She is even learning the basic values of them - 1 coin for a bag of chocolate buttons, 4 for her favourite comic.
    Best wins: Luxury weekend in Russia, family holiday to France, catered BBQ for 20, Selfridges shopping spree, jolly to Majorca, £1,000 See Tickets vouchers, £500 John Lewis vouchers, five-star weekend in Provence!
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My boys each get £5 a month. For that they dry the dishes and put them away, clean up the bathroom, hoover, sort laundry, put out the rubbish, table setting/clearing. They like to help and they both work together and tick things off on the chart that they have. I've not long been giving them pocket money and my youngest when he got his first month's money, he went out and bought a card for me, but he found a voucher which gave him £1 off the cost of the card so it only cost him 50p. They tend to save half of their money and spend half of it. I've noticed now that they are not so keen to spend a lot on a comic when they are paying for it themselves. My eldest found a puzzle in Poundland the other week which has kept him amused for ages and he's delighted with it. The comic would have been read in five minutes.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • katenut
    katenut Posts: 530 Forumite
    Options
    We didn't get pocket money as children, my parents couldnt afford it. As teenagers we all got after school jobs to buy what we wanted. I was always very proud that I had earned everything myself, and managed to stretch my wages out to get everything I needed.
    Then when I got a real job after I left school the money went to my head leading to years of overspending (the ease at which I could get store cards, catalogues and credit cards as an 18yr old was amazing!).
    It is only now, 10 years down the line, that I have learned how to budget and manage my money. I wish someone had drummed this into my head at a much earlier age!
    Trying to jump back onto the moneysaving wagon .... :cool:
  • horsechestnut
    horsechestnut Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think that children should get a small amount of pocket money as being part of the family. And if times are hard then they have to learn that things can be difficult- there is enough about "the credit crunch" on T.V.
    Equally, I feel that children should not be paid to do any work at home; it should be done as being part of the family. Everyone pitches in.
    This way they do not grow up expecting to get paid for everything that they do and it fosters a good attitude to just getting "stuck-in" and not expecting extra pay or time off in lieu etc. (Makes them more employable because they have a positive attitude)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    edited 5 March 2010 at 3:38PM
    Options
    as a kid, i didn't get pocket money. instead, i worked out ways to save money for the household (for example switching phone supplier, utilising reward schemes to best potential, seeking out cheaper petrol), and took a percentage commission.

seriously.

(one of the best was when we were with BT, I nagged my parents for Sky tv, they said they couldnt afford it, so i got them to move phone calls to skytalk - the saving more than paid for the Sky subscription :) )
  • wildthing01
    wildthing01 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what's the advice re the tooth fairy??? i was approached by a little boy at a birthday party my little girl was at last week, who proudly showed me the gap where his tooth had been. when asked him if the tooth fairy had been, he said she'd given him a tenner!!!!!!! he couldn't believe it when i told him i used to get 10p!

and what age should we start giving pocket money? i think my little girl is still too young yet at just turned 2. she loves putting the spare coppers into her money box, but has no concept of worth. we put her xmas/b'day money into a savings account for her to use later. she was also given a gift card for xmas, with a time limit on it, and i'm toying (haha) with the idea of taking her to the relevant shop and telling her she can choose what she likes - but then what if she chooses something too expensive???
  • debtdesperado
    Options
    I had regular pocket money sometimes, but then it normally stopped after a while as my parents couldn't afford it, so then I would rely on 'windfalls' eg catching parents in a particularly generous mood, or visiting a great aunt who would give us a pound. Thinking about it now I have a vague memory of my mum being cross because us children had saved our money (we weren't in the habit of ever walking round the shops) and she realised that we had more cash in our piggy banks than she had in her purse... I think that was when the pocket money stopped. I wonder if that feeling of disapproval about saving has ended up colouring what happened next...

Then I got a paper round when I was 13 at my mother's insistence and have worked ever since... but I'm still a debtdesperado! I remember my sister commenting that I wasted my money when we were about 15 or so, and I had loads of cheap bangles that I'd bought and never worn... it took another 15 years to have my LBM. The only thing I learnt (and am really, really good at) is living on fresh air and sunshine when I have no money, which is often.
  • lola34
    lola34 Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    Options
    My two boys get £10 per month, for this really its a case of keeping their rooms tidy, if they wash/ dry up etc its 20p per job, but they know with this money they have to buy toys/ magazines etc its amazing with the older one, as he'll want somthing but then realising its his money he has to spend he normally doesn't want it anymore.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback