Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Penelope
    Money Moral Dilemma: Would you replace the shoes?
    • 29th Jan 10, 3:48 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Would you replace the shoes? 29th Jan 10 at 3:48 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Would you replace the shoes?

You rush to get on an overcrowded train before the doors close to get to work. There's a woman in front of you, and you step on her foot, leaving the shoe to fall onto the rails. She blames you and asks if you'll buy her new shoes at the destination - would you buy them (based on a true story that happened to MSE Towers team member).

P.S: We originally had a different version but decided to change it to make it more personal!

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 10-02-2010 at 6:01 PM.
Page 1
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 9th Feb 10, 10:52 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 9th Feb 10, 10:52 PM
    • 9th Feb 10, 10:52 PM
    Pete's fault so he should be a gentleman and step up and foot the bill.

He would expect her to do the same if the shoe was on the other foot (so to speak)
    Last edited by scotsbob; 09-02-2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: sp
  • thesealeyboy
    • 9th Feb 10, 10:58 PM
    • 9th Feb 10, 10:58 PM
    Apologise profusely, offer to purchase a new pair of shoes, and potentially ask her out to dinner as by way of an apology.

That way, either he would fork out for the shoes, OR end up on a (potentially) successful date and the shoes would be forgotten about!
  • gcw84
    • 9th Feb 10, 11:22 PM
    • 9th Feb 10, 11:22 PM
    Apologise, get on the train and pull the alarm handle, then there'll be time to recover the shoe before the train departs!
  • tramsay
    • 9th Feb 10, 11:30 PM
    • 9th Feb 10, 11:30 PM
    No, I would apologise though

She technically took on a risk wearing (presumably expensive) loose shoes and also was likely a little slow getting on the train

Not to really blame her for anything, but she should see this as an unfortunate accident and let Peter off

I've had to quickly run for trains, Peter's hurry shouldn't shock anyone

• jjuk2k2
    • 9th Feb 10, 11:35 PM
    • 9th Feb 10, 11:35 PM
    I'm with Tramsay and would say sorry but thats the end of it...

I'm currently in London working but don't usually spend time down here..

people are just rude and it's every man (or shoe) for his or her self down there on the underground!
    • Talent
    • By Talent 10th Feb 10, 12:00 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Talent
    • 10th Feb 10, 12:00 AM
    • 10th Feb 10, 12:00 AM
    You have to be careful what you offer here. They could be really expensive designer shoes. Don't let the door shut. She can get off and get station staff to recover the shoe. You could be a gentleman (or a laydee) and get off with her. Station staff do have long handled tongs (or did have??). Or she could get off at the next stop and go back..... possibilities.
    • Violet sunshine
    • By Violet sunshine 10th Feb 10, 12:41 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    Violet sunshine
    • 10th Feb 10, 12:41 AM
    • 10th Feb 10, 12:41 AM
    I would say sorry but no I would not buy new shoes. How often do we all have our toes stood on which blooming hurts but very rarely results in shoes coming off. She should have more suitable shoes lol - although prob not the best time to advise her of that. With health and safety they might not be able to retrieve immediately but I'm sure the station staff could assist at a safe moment should she leave her details
    1. Cash
    2. Holiday 3. Shoes 4. Car (well dream big!!!!!)
    5. TV 6. I PAD 7. Kindle 8. Wii/X box kinect
    9. Smeg fridge/freezer 10. Jewellery
    11. Make up
    Number 182
  • karendb
    • 10th Feb 10, 8:08 AM
    • 10th Feb 10, 8:08 AM
    It's a bit of a silly one this! If I dropped my shoe onto the railway line, I wouldn't just carry on going to work as if nothing had happened, wearing one shoe! I'd go and get a member of staff to retrieve it for me. So regardless of who was at fault, that's the line of attack. If Peter was a gentleman, he would go find some staff with her and make his apologies (then maybe ask her out for dinner).

Chances are though, he would just carry on going to work as normal and let her get on with it
    I would love to be lazy but can't find the time
  • fruugal
    Well, Clare will look an absolute prat if she carries on into London with only one shoe.

They are both going to have to get off the train at the departure station and ask railway staff to get her shoe from the track. If the train has already closed its doors then the two of them should get off at the next station and travel back.

Her demand for new shoes is not realistic. She should expect Peter to help as he was pushing on to the train behind her.

Don't understand if he was behind her in getting on the train how she lost her shoe, but the train would not have set off if the doors were not properly closed so they could both get off to sort it.

She sounds a bit ditzy

Neither Clare nor Peter could buy shoes straight away if she gets to London so
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 10th Feb 10, 8:32 AM
    • 5,924 Posts
    • 32,938 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Apologise, get on the train and pull the alarm handle, then there'll be time to recover the shoe before the train departs!
    Originally posted by gcw84
    ...and a nice fine for Peter for the improper use of an emergency stop device...the shoes might be cheaper!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• aloiseb
    • By aloiseb 10th Feb 10, 9:10 AM
    • 692 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    aloiseb
    This is the London underground we are talking about here, right? The most uncivilised place in the world? Of course he should offer to help her - get some more shoes, go bakc at the next stop and attempt to retrieve the missing one, even buy her some shoes to get through the day, (though not necessarily replace the exact ones)
    BUT he won't do any of that, cos of where he is.
    He'll probably tell her - in a few succinct Saxon words - that she shouldn't have got in his way.
  • Summer76
    No it was an accident as simple as that. Aplogise and offer to help her speak to staff to retrieve the shoe. As long as he is polite to her that should be the end of it.
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 10th Feb 10, 9:40 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    Sounds like the opening scene of a romantic comedy
    The only thing that is constant is change.
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 10th Feb 10, 9:56 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 1,869 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    New shoes?
    The way the question is phrased implies they are both already on the departing train with the shoe still on the line at the station, so retrieving it is not a practical option. If Peter was a gentlemen, he should apologise, and offer to buy a cheap pair for Claire to use for the day (shouldn't be more than a tenner). He is absolutely not responsible for buying an equivalent pair. She can get plenty of mileage out of the story at work to offset her anger and explain her footwear. Of course if she had exhibited an 'OMG what am I going to do in London with only one shoe?' response, rather than anger, I'm sure he would feel more motivated to help.
    • A.Jones
    • By A.Jones 10th Feb 10, 10:02 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    A.Jones
    No. She should wear more practical shoes. And at most he should only have to buy her one shoe.

"Claire is furious and demands Peter buy her a new pair of shoes as soon as they get to destination."

It's that bit that decides it for me.
    Last edited by A.Jones; 10-02-2010 at 1:26 PM.
    • graemecarter
    • By graemecarter 10th Feb 10, 10:03 AM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 12,707 Thanks
    graemecarter
    This is the London underground we are talking about here, right? The most uncivilised place in the world? Of course he should offer to help her - get some more shoes, go bakc at the next stop and attempt to retrieve the missing one, even buy her some shoes to get through the day, (though not necessarily replace the exact ones)
    BUT he won't do any of that, cos of where he is.
    He'll probably tell her - in a few succinct Saxon words - that she shouldn't have got in his way.
    Originally posted by aloiseb
    The London underground is civilised and has certain unwritten rules and etiquette. They are different to normal rules above ground, but it is still civilised. About 3 million journeys are made every day, and the vast majority without incident so it is very civilised. It takes some getting used to
    • RuthnJasper
    • By RuthnJasper 10th Feb 10, 10:12 AM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 8,638 Thanks
    RuthnJasper
    Well - it was an accident. However, the right thing to do would be to apologise sincerely - after all, accidents do happen; especially in the free-for-all that is the Underground at peak times. Perhaps suggest that the shoe could be retrieved at the station of departure. Personally, as I'm not too flush with cash, I'd offer maybe 20 and say that was all I had with me at the time.

I'd also offer to go back to the station with Claire to retrieve the shoe. However, I think the blame can be shared equally here - so equal responsibility. After all, someone most probably shoved Peter.
  • scottrobbo71
    The London underground is civilised and has certain unwritten rules and etiquette. They are different to normal rules above ground, but it is still civilised. About 3 million journeys are made every day, and the vast majority without incident so it is very civilised. It takes some getting used to
    Originally posted by graemecarter

Are travellers on the London Underground not governed by the same rules as everyone else?... Why should people act differently because they are on the underground?... You must all be very special people
    • 1408leo
    • By 1408leo 10th Feb 10, 10:55 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    1408leo
    so what did happen next
    As this is based on a true story what did happen to the person at Money Saving Towers ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,579Posts Today

9,939Users online

Martin's Twitter