MSE News: Bad weather chaos: your pay and travel rights

Options

Comments

• tsoprano
    tsoprano Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there

I am booked on a flybe flight from Belfast to Gatwick this weekend- I am going tomorrow morning first thing and returning Sunday evening. For such a short trip I didn't buy travel insurance - I have non refundable train tickets, non refundable hotel room and theatre tickets to boot. I am wondering if it is worth going because I need to be at work on Monday! It will cost me a lot if I don't go though. I need to know what my rights are if flybe cancel the flight (will they refund?) What happens if the flight goes on Sunday which would be no good to me as I will be arriving just in time for check in for my flight home? Can I refuse to go and still get a refund?

What happens if I am stuck in London? How do you go about getting another flight - do you have to pay for it and then you are refunded?

any help would be appreciated

anxious, Belfast
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    [QUOTE
    when I initially set off there was only a flurry of snow, 20 mins later it was bedlam.

After driving for 20 minutes you were probably well into your 10 mile journey. Once it became evident that the Bedlam might cause you to let down your employer, could you have parked your car and walked the rest of the way ?

I last did this ( abandoning my car due to snow and walking the rest of the way to work ) in March 2006.[/QUOTE]

I was probably about 100 yards from my place of work, as the crow flies but I was on the M27 and if it hadn't been for idiots abandoning their cars on and across the slip road it wouldn't have been blocked for 14 hours. I cant understand people abandoning cars in these circumstances and causing chaos to everyone else. I hope they get towed and suitably billed for their selfish actions.
  • dudenstumpy
    Options
    [QUOTE I cant understand people abandoning cars in these circumstances and causing chaos to everyone else. I hope they get towed and suitably billed for their selfish actions.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone who "abandons" their car does so in a manner that causes obstruction.

By "abandoning" I meant parking it up somewhere on route( but out of the way of other traffic and pedestrians ) that I wouldn't normally park at.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was you that stated you "abandoned" your car in 2006. Parking up, in as safe a place as possible, and abandoning your journey is different to just leaving it on a motorway junction.

Anyway better go as I have work tonight, should be ok, leaving a bit earlier, wouldn't want to let my employer down for the 2nd time in 30 years !!
  • rictus123
    rictus123 Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    went to work and there was noone there so came home, how does anyone know i was there, not staying all day to not be paid for it.
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
  • stuart.pinfold
    Options
    Can anyone advise me where I stand?

I am a freelance worker paid by the hour with no entitlement to annual leave or sick pay. It takes me just less than an hour on the train into London from Bedfordshire, and a further 10 minutes to half-hour (depending on which building I am working at) on the Tube.

One day last week, I turned up at my National Rail station to find there were no trains in either direction. The official advice from the Train Operating Company was that passengers should not travel. After waiting 90 minutes, I decided to abandon the journey and went home.

I lost nearly £150 in pay for that day because I could not report for work. The train is the only way for me to get to work as I do not have access to a car, and according to Transport Direct I might be able to get to work on time (with three minutes to spare) if I leave at 06:15, change buses twice (with a total of 29 minutes walking and only a buffer of 3 minutes between one change so if the first bus is late I will potentially miss the second).

My question is, can I claim the missing pay back from the Train Operating Company? They advertised a service (through their timetable), could not deliver it and then, crucially, told people not to attempt to travel. Surely under these circumstances at least some compensation (other than a refund on the ticket) should be forthcoming?
  • Tallullah
    Options
    Could someone check the information on the MSE News page about compensation if your flight is delayed or cancelled due to bad weather? The same info is in this week's mailout. It's my understanding that the rules on conmpensation referred to don't apply in 'extraordinary circumstances' which include bad weather. Check this link to the info on the Air Transport User's Council pages http://www.auc.org.uk/default.aspx?catid=306&pagetype=90&pageid=11011
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

My question is, can I claim the missing pay back from the Train Operating Company?

Do you honestly think you have a chance? If they were liable for everyone that was due to travel that day they would now be out of business.

You should have anticipated the weather and either rearranged or travelled into London the day before.
  • cbee27
    Options
    My Bmi flight was delayed by snow befrore christmas.I was travelling from Man to Heath with a Bmi connecting flight from Heath to Tel Aviv. The delay meant I would miss the Heathrow flight so My luggage was taken off the plane.BMI then offered a flight 30hours later to Frankfurt with a 8 hour wait for a connecting plane to TA. Which I declined as I would arrive halfway through a 7 day tour!

BMi wont refund as they say they offered an alternative although unreasonable.
    My tour co. say they wont refund as its not their fault

My ins co AVIVA.were going to pay as hol delayed over 24 hours but have now quoted a clause that as I was not leaving the UK on the delayed flight I am not covered...... I think they are using the clause out of context.

Can anybody tell me where I go from here?
  • stuart.pinfold
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    Do you honestly think you have a chance? If they were liable for everyone that was due to travel that day they would now be out of business.

You should have anticipated the weather and either rearranged or travelled into London the day before.
    But not everyone would claim: most people (the majority of people on full-time contracts) wouldn't lose pay as their employer would understand the situation, and they could prove they did everything they could to attempt to get in, like I did.

I don't particularly care if they have to pay out a lot of compensation or not: it was THEIR decision to not run any trains or replacement buses, THEIR decision to tell people not to travel and ultimate THEIR decision which caused me to lose a day's pay.

Of course I anticipated the weather but there was no way I could anticipate there being no London-bound trains (or even replacement buses) for over 3 hours (normally one every 7 to 10 minutes at peak time). I could have travelled to London the night before, but then we would be having the same conversation but claiming compensation for the hotel, not a day's pay...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure