Nationwide Mobility mis-sold a bath lift - help

Comments

• Garetha
    Garetha Posts: 981 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2009 at 7:10PM
    Had an Email reply from Consumer Direct advising sending a recorded delivery request for refund under 'Sale of Goods Act 1979', and giving them 14 days. :eek::rolleyes:
    We shall see if Nationwide Mobility is prepared to change their mind in their dealings with a sick old man or are they just out to fleece the vulnerable? I suspect the later!

By the way! The salesman returned, declared the lift to be working - but left them a leaflet on a £1,800 bath lift which would 'certainly work in their bath' :mad:
  • Garetha
    Garetha wrote: »
    Sent a recorded delivery letter to Nationwide Mobility at Farnborough and Royal Mail tracking shows it was delivered.

If anyone knows the name of a director of Nationwide Mobility it would be useful.

Paul Morris (Director of Nationwide Mobility) has now replied to my request for a refund.
    He says "No!"
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Has he given a reason for his refusal? If no valid reason, I would issue a small claims action.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Garetha
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Has he given a reason for his refusal? If no valid reason, I would issue a small claims action.
    They only accept returns if you cancel within 7 days of ordering - i.e. statutory rights
    The fact that the bath lift doesn't work is of no interest to Nationwide Mobility

Avoid Nationwide Mobility

Consumer Direct advise further letter to the company asking for a refund again
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2009 at 8:15PM
    Can you explain how it's slipping please, OP.

I have a bath lift and they are quite heavy, so not sure how that would happen.

I have a long rubber bath mat and the suckers don't stick to that, but the lift still doesn't slip in the bath, so I'm not sure how, or why your father's one would?

Edited to add: even before I had the long bath mat, the rubber suctions would sometimes not stick to the surface of the bath, but not all four suction cups. Mine's an aquatec, if that's any help. Due to the weight of the chair, and it's position in the bath, it didn't slip, because my weight would also push down the suction cups IYSWIM.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    If you are confident that it is not fit for purpose (given that the equipment was recommended as suitable for your bath) you need to send a Letter Before Action notifying them of your intention to issue a small claims action. There is no need to mess around with anymore letters than this (I assumed that was what CD had already given you, but presumably not if they are suggesting you send another one).

If CD are not helpful in writing a letter, come back to us and I'll put one together. If I don't respond on here post on the Benefits board, someone will find me! ;)
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Garetha
    edited 9 December 2009 at 8:50AM
    pipkin71 wrote: »
    Can you explain how it's slipping please, OP.
    It's not a slip - it just doesn't attach to the bath through the suckers - so it's very unstable. I wouldn't want to use it if I needed one.
    My father used the word 'slip' but it's him that was slipping not the bath lift.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Garetha wrote: »
    It's not a slip - it just doesn't attach to the bath through the suckers - so it's very unstable. I wouldn't want to use it if I needed one.
    My father used the word 'slip' but it's him that was slipping not the bath lift.

Thanks for replying Garetha.

Have you had a look at the seat? Do you see that it slips? How does your father slip, on it? How is it unstable, as it is boxed in by the sides of the bath on three sides? Does it slide forward at all?

Sorry for all the questions, just that if you take this further, you will need to prove that the seat isn't safe. In all honesty, despite the suction pads not always making contact with the bath, the seat is too heavy to slip, plus, given that three sides are boxed in, it could only slip forwards, and - on my seat, at least - it is too heavy to do that, especially when the weight of the body is also on there, IYSWIM.

Can you try it out? Could it be that your dad just doesn't feel confident in using it, and worries because the suctions don't make contact with the bath?

Can you go into the bathroom and raise the seat straight out of the bath? It may be that only a couple of the suctions aren't catching. If you can lift the seat straight out, do put this in your complaint, so that they know that none of the suctions are working as they should be. However, I would suggest that you test the seat too, in case it is the fact that your dad doesn't feel confident using it, and it is fit for purpose, other than that.

If the seat does slide forward when in use, or puts your dad in any danger of injury, then clearly it isn't at all safe to use.

Good luck with it all :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Did you get a resolution/refund ?
  • Garetha
    edited 20 January 2010 at 10:24PM
    They've now, this week, sent an 'inspector' to report on the bath. He confirmed to me on the phone that all the suckers did not work on the bath surface.
    I'm waiting for confirmation that they will refund the full amount paid for the bath lift that doesn't work - plus costs and compensation. Otherwise it's a small claims action or a national newspaper or both.
    At least Paul Morris, director of Nationwide Mobility, is taking an interest and may not relish the adverse publicity of fleecing a dying man. (My dad is currently in hospital receiving treatment for cancer)

Interestingly - a Google search for nationwide mobility bath lift finds this thread at number 3 - number 1 being the Which report on Poor Service mobility companies. The power of MSE and Google! Let's hope potential customers of NM Google them first!

I'll let you all know the outcome - very soon I hope!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure