PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheap steak

Options
I found in my freezer, a couple of trays of cheap Tesco Value steak last week. I took a tray out sometime last week and did a meal with it. Unfortunately, it was as tough as shoe leather and gave our jaws jaw ache. However, not being put off from this other tray i decided to use it last night.
I remember in the days of my childhood, mother using a steakhammer and bashing the steak for all its worth. It tasted lovely too and was no effort to eat. So guess what i was doing yesterday afternoon? I dont have a steak hammer so me rolling pin had to do, i just thought of everything that annoyed me and bashed it for a good frew minutes and cooked it in a pan of water (with a splash of vinegar in as mom used to do that too), and it was lovely. Even the little one ate his, and no one would beleive me it was the same steak we all had last week.

Comments

• Austin_Allegro
    Options
    Interesting. I've also seen stuff in the supermarket called Tenderizing Granules. I assume this is good for meat that you can't bash very easily.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Interesting. I've also seen stuff in the supermarket called Tenderizing Granules. I assume this is good for meat that you can't bash very easily.
    Believe me, bashing it was much more fun.
  • Austin_Allegro
    Options
    Judi wrote:
    Believe me, bashing it was much more fun.

Well I've heard 'beating the meat' is fun, but I think that might mean something else... :rolleyes: :p;)
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • PhilCCFC
    PhilCCFC Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    You can't beat (well you can physically :p ), Asda's beef selection at the moment. Around £3 for a small joint of silverside, really tasty and tender. You could always do what I do and buy the joint of beef and cut it in to your own steaks.
    They say that football is a religion, if this is true I worship at the Exacta Stadium, Chester
  • System
    Options
    PhilCCFC wrote:
    You could always do what I do and buy the joint of beef and cut it in to your own steaks.
    never thought of that, but i think i would need an electric knife. I take it you cut into steaks before you cook/freeze it?
  • PhilCCFC
    PhilCCFC Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    Judi wrote:
    I take it you cut into steaks before you freeze it?

That's right Judi.
    They say that football is a religion, if this is true I worship at the Exacta Stadium, Chester
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    I use chump/rump steak over a more popular cut like sirloin. Best results I have is to follow the 10 minute rule.........................

If you like your steak rare, cook for 1 1/2 to 2 mins on each side and allow to rest for 6 - 7 mins.

For medium steak cook for 3 - 4 mins on each side and rest for 4 - 6 minutes.

For well done steak cook for 5 minutes on each side and just serve from the pan.

Never had a tough steak since I started doing this and I don't bash it to bits either!

Found this info on UKTV food watching Tamazin Day Lewis and thought Iwould try it. Think you'd have to adjust times depending on the thickness of the steak though.

HTH someone!
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    The meat tenderizer that I think shwartz does work but so does ginger or soy sauce. Even cooking the steak with onions seems to help. I always give the steal a good bash! If I'm frying I cook with a dash of soy sauce, but if you knbow its going to be tough casserole it long enough and it won;t be!
  • carl310166
    Options
    But how do you cook a steak properly? grill or fry?

I have asked a few different people how they cook theirs,because when i do it,it's tasteless!

Some of the advice i was given was,

Don't use bright red coloured meat.

Have the frying pan smoking when you put it in.

Oil the meat not the pan.

I find that even restaurants are inconsistent these days,and it seems that i only get to taste a decent steak when in France,but perhaps it's just the Holiday effect.

Any thoughts?
    Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!
  • System
    Options
    I fry mine. I have never tried grilling it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure