Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 28
  • rosieben
    It looked like a curry but had the twang of a bolognaise so I've christened it a Beef Bolurry
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    Love the sound of that BMF I've listed both recipes in the front index, but to make it easier for people looking for recipes I've called your first concoction 'Beef Casserole', hope that's ok
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • rosieben
    ... This was also posted by Rachelle on the live for 4,000 thread.
    Please can it be added to the recipe thread so I can find it again. ...
    Originally posted by Tashja
    Hi Tash, I've added the Onion Marmalade recipe to the front page list with a link back to Rachell's post on the Red Onion Chutney and Marmalade Recipes thread; thought it might be useful for the other recipes there? I'll be trying this one myself
    Last edited by rosieben; 13-08-2009 at 10:47 AM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • ktpie
    Went to get some shopping this morning and have now spent £204.45 out of my £300 budget. £95 to last us until the end of the month. Did sort out my store cupboard this morning and dig out all the unused packets of dried stuff, going to try and start using some of it. Going to attempt the blackberry bake this afternoon with some blackberries picked embarassingly in our jungle of a garden!
  • jackieglasgow
    Had a great shop last night, thanks to the guys over on the grabbit boards. Used my tesco rewards to get some essentials for the boys, and a MOC I got from Mr T then also used some MOC as advised by them to get a £74 shop for only £31.12!!! I'm full stocked for the rest of the month, and added to the 8 bags of Quorn gotten from Iceland for £1 each, I should only need a very few things for the rest of the moth, if anything at all. Still haven't done the mealplan thing, it's too much at once for me, but I am planning a day or two ahead.

Also tried the Mr A veggie sausage mix to make sausage rolls the other day. Be warned if you haven't tried it before, it needs a lot of seasoning. I made the mistake of guessing at it and adding what I would if it was Sosmix, and cooked them all at once instead of trying just a little to check. It was bland, bland bland. Texture was great, though.

Kids back at school next week, so packed lunch makings to be sorted tomorrow, and lots of baking to be done.

Not quite GC, but MS all the same. Had to renew my car insurance today, tried doing it from here, and got some good quotes. Already had one of those multicar policies, so got a requote for that, the cheapest quotes were seperate policies for each car from 2 companies, but then I remembered that we have a discount scheme through work which offers discounts on all sorts including insurance. I called them and get a deal for both car on seperate policies with the same company on INTEREST FREE DDEB (which noone seems to offer anymore!!) for £350 cheaper than the cash price policies I'd found elsewhere, and about £480 cheaper than the cheapest DDEB prices. How's that for a saving? I was worried I'd need to get rid of one car because we're so skint, but we really need them, if I had to use PT it would be about 1.5 hrs commute each way for a 5 hour shift.

Sorry for the long post, can you tell I've had no adult company all week?

Jackie X
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 13th Aug 09, 12:25 PM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Hi all

Going to update siggy in a moment. Having a baking/preparing for winter day today as well as trying to fly lady.

Just wanted to add this recipe as ordered loads of red onions from MrT last night as they were on offer and I have done this before for winter as DH loves it with stews and beef dishes. This was also posted by Rachelle on the live for 4,000 thread.

1.25kg onions
    3 tbsp salt
    1kg sugar
    500mls red wine vinegar
    2tsp caraway seeds

Chop onions cover with salt leave for an hour
    Rinse & dry

Add sugar, vinegar & seeds into saucepan; boil for 5mins then add onions. Cook for a couple of hours on a low heat until the mix becomes thick, onion tanslucent & brown. Can't go wrong.

Put in sterilized jars.

Please can it be added to the recipe thread so I can find it again.

T xx
    Have gone to Lidl in my lunchbreak (only shop nearby) to buy red onions so I can try this tonight. (Also bought mangoes for more chutney as they are only 29p each at the moment)

How much does it make roughly please Tashja ?

• Tashja
    Hi hun

Last time I got 2 medium jars out of it but not to sure as it has been a year since I last cooked it and SIL was with me and kept eating it !!

I am going to start mine after I have done the cheese sauce for the Mousakka - which is looking and smelling lovely !!

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - £20.01
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 13th Aug 09, 2:59 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Anyone have a tried and tested beetroot chutney recipe? i`ve harvested and boiled my beets and now i need to make chutney as well as pickling some.SD
    Originally posted by Sunnyday
    Beetroot and Apple Chutney

12oz finely chopped onions
    21b cooked beetroot, peeled and diced
    12oz cooking apples, diced (weight when peeled)
    3/4 pint malt vinegar
    1tsp fresh ginger
    12oz sugar
    1tsp salt
    1tsp of chilli
    1tsp cumin

Put onions, beetroot and apples into a pan with vinegar, Simmer until the apples are soft and then add sugar. Stir and boil steadily until the chutney reaches desired consistency. Add salt and spoon into jars.

Only trouble is, when I bought the spuds on saturday, i went for the cheapest option and to be honest they are horrible so now I dont want my jacket chips because I normally use maris piper spuds and the basic white spud is not the same!

So with rather a lot of potatoes sitting on my kitchen side, i am after ideas on how to use them all up !! Many thanks.
    Originally posted by Flat Eric
    Wedges, mash, potato daphione, soups, potato bakes, grated potato + crushed garlic and fried on oil. Em meat and potato pie, potato finger biscuits, shepherds pie.

Spent a fortune so far think i have about £70 left for the rest of the month. Just chopped loads of carrots, courgettes, bacon and chillies to put in the freezer. I ran out of everything inc. cat food and toilet roll. So big pack later of roll should last till October i hope. Enough cat food to last till September.
    Seem to going through loads of cheese. So will be popping to Lidl for the cheese, thanks for that!

Well off to make more pasta salad for tea.
  • Tashja
    I am only doing half the onion marmalade tonight on account of MrT growing his red onions with Napalm.

I will do the rest tomorrow.

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - £20.01
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 13th Aug 09, 3:46 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    hello havent been on here in about a week had a lot on i lost track alittle but i know i am around my budget ... but i got at least 13 NSDs so not to bad my september starts on saturday so

MRS M CAN YOU PUT ME DOWN FOR £200 FOR SEPT PRETTY PLEASE!!! ..

thank you hope everyones doing well x
    Still searching .....
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 13th Aug 09, 6:50 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya guys,

Will catch up on posts in a mo. I'm still using supermarket of HWGA and not spending any, think I'm up to 8NSD's so far so real chuffed

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • cw18
    • By cw18 13th Aug 09, 7:22 PM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    Just updated my spreadsheet with spends from the last 3 days.....

Tuesday
    A!di : £1.49
    4pt milk : (they had no 1 litre semi left, so boys got f/fat while leaving our dregs of semi for me)

Wednesday
    A!di : £3.23
    2 x 1 litre semi : 2x49p = £0.98
    5kg potatoes : £2.25

Mr M (all clearance) : £1.39 ( instead of £11.06)
    3 x Activi@ yoghuts (ones in small bowls), pack of 4 : 3x19p (instead of £1.84 each)
    2x reduced fat cheese slices, 10 slices / 200g : 2x19p (instead of £1.58 each)
    tub mascarpone cheese : 25p (instead of 99p)
    mini B@ttenburgs, 5 pack : 19p (instead of £1.39)

Thursday
    Mr M (all clearance) : 96p (instead of £3.42)
    800g Organic Wholemeal loaf : 29p (instead of £1.10)
    pack of 6 large bread rolls : 9p (instead of 34p)
    2 packs thinly sliced pork sausage (with garlic and bits - plan to use on pizza tomorrow) : 2x29p (instead of 99p each)

Finds from "Whoopsie Hunting" is picking up this month - signature updated, and showing £4.28 spent on goods with shelf ticket values of £31.35

Now almost 42% of the way through the month, and not quite 13% of the way through my budget - with 6 NSDs under my belt.

Need to check A!di again tomorrow before probably having to shop in Mr M - no lettuce left at home, and our A!di doesn't appear to have had any of the Super 6 ones in There isn't even an empty space on the display when I get into the store - which is why I think we're not getting any :confused: Also need to check if the Neopolitan ice-cream is still on offer, as younger DS (18) has polished off yet another tub of it in the last 24 hours (I've already bought 3 tubs of it this month!!)
    Cheryl
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 13th Aug 09, 7:25 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 10,016 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    Hello everyone,

Weekly shop came to £20.12 today. I stocked up on loo rolls as Andrex big rolls on offer - should keep me going for a couple of months. I'm doing well with the food shopping as I'm buying mainly whoopsied fruit and veg (whoopsied organic bananas cheaper than value ones today) and wasting virtually nothing except a few little bits of fruit. Must try harder on that one as I shouldn't be wasting anything at all.

I shall probably spend a similar amount next week as I've a friend coming to stay for a few days. Looks as though I shall easily come in under budget this month however store cupboard and freezer are getting low so next month will be more of a challenge.

Just something to watch out for - a whoopsied melon has appeared on my till receipt as full price. I would never have bought it at full price because there were other cheaper options. I have the label so will take it along with my receipt next week and see if they will refund the difference.
    Decluttering 851/2019
    Deleting old emails 376/2019
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 13th Aug 09, 8:11 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    £3.03 spent today on milk and a reduced ciabatta from Sainsbury's. Very tasty it was too!

I made a pasta dish for dinner and there is LOADS left, can I freeze pasta?
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, £100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 13th Aug 09, 8:28 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 24,048 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    Ok, confession time.....

lots of spends today including the dine in for £10 meal from m&s but its been put to good use....

It can be seen from my signature how my budget has jumped from having lots left to having very little left :confused: but my spends include non food related items including 9 tubs of toothpaste which were on 3 for 2, my oral b toothbrush heads which had a 1/3 off , a top that fell into my basket in sainsburys and the economy gastronomy book (55% off on amazon )

I have kept proper track however so at the end of the month, I will be able to see where the pennies have been spent and will hopefully still have come underbudget for the food once I repay the money for the top etc. and filed the relevant spends under their proper budgets.

Have been invited to a family bbq at the weekend. I have offered to take some bits but ITS ALL what I have already so no need to spend..... and an excellent way to use up all those spuds (thanks by the way to all who replied to my previous message)

Have resisted yet another home delivery order this weekend as despite how hard I try, there will still be items that get added to my basket that i dont need. Think i should stick with myone visit to my local supermarket at the weekend to buy those items on my list. The supermarket is only small which actually I think is better because less choice means less temptation and thus less opportunity to overspend. Also I try to do it really quickly i.e. get in and out asap without dawdling finding stuff to buy!!!

• ellemm
    • By ellemm 14th Aug 09, 8:10 AM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    I am only doing half the onion marmalade tonight on account of MrT growing his red onions with Napalm.

I will do the rest tomorrow.

T xx
    Tashja:I did my red onion marmalade last night, following the recipe and instructions to the letter - cooked slowly for nearly 3 hours and it was still a bit on the runny side. Decided to pot up anyway in the hope it might thicken a bit overnight but hasn't so wondered if I can put it back in the pot and cook a bit more - will that help do you think?
    I suspect I had the heat too low hence it look so long :confused:

• spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 14th Aug 09, 8:29 AM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    spendaholic
    I'm off to Tesco tonight. Really need to come in under budget today if I can. Fortunately I have £7 in vouchers so perhaps those will help.
    Highest debt: £35k (2005); Current debt: £6k (2018)
    MY WINS

2 tickets to the Home Building & Renovation show; £50 to spend on chocolate; 2 tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters; designer cat food caddy; £2,500 cash; £36 cash; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Creative Craft Show tickets; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Beyond the Pole DVD; £1,000 cash; Legend of the Guardians goody bag; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 14th Aug 09, 8:54 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF

Another Spesh for tonight is Meatloaf.
    In a bowl & using my little stick blender:-
    1lb pork sausagemeat, marmalised to a smooth pate
    1 grated carrot **Go easy with this
    1 pk value sage & onion stuffing, NOT mixed up but straight from the packet
    good sprinkling dried parsley
    1 lg egg

Editing Weds post on Fri to say.....be careful of the carrot! Our 'savoury' was really quite sweet Will add another post on the end of today's bit too, so all can see
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    We had this cold with mash, peas & sweetcorn but there was a definite sweet twang to it. The only thing I could think to make it was the carrot, so next time I'll make it a smaller one Guess the one I used was 20cm long & maybe 3cm round the thickest part if that's any help. Have to admit that I kept slicing bits off it each time I went into the kitchen so it did all go, but could imagine it as a cold cut with a nice salad for perhaps a lunch dish too.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• penguin83
    • By penguin83 14th Aug 09, 1:03 PM
    • 4,787 Posts
    • 13,105 Thanks
    penguin83
    Afternoon all, did my weekly shop on Weds (I only go to the shops once a week) and spent 119.96 bringing my total for the month so far to 261.97, plenty in the cupboards though and it included nappies for my son. Hopefully next weeks spend will be a lot less as it should only be fresh stuff that I need x x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
    • russetred
    • By russetred 14th Aug 09, 2:05 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    On to update my siggy.I managed to keep the spend to £21.35 for the week which as quite an effort for me.No shopping unless it was vital and there wasnt an alternative.I made a vast batch of cottage pie filling with tons of veg,loads of free mushrooms as we pick wild ones and green lentils found at the back of the cupboard.OH said "this savoury mince thingy's really nice...I suppose I better not ask what's in it?" Really pleased with that as I got 10 portions from 500g mince and they were biggies!HM chippies tonight with reduced battered haggis and sausages so lazy night for me tonight and I'm sure there's some beer in the fridge requiring my attention.Have a good weekend.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • Tashja
    Tashja:I did my red onion marmalade last night, following the recipe and instructions to the letter - cooked slowly for nearly 3 hours and it was still a bit on the runny side. Decided to pot up anyway in the hope it might thicken a bit overnight but hasn't so wondered if I can put it back in the pot and cook a bit more - will that help do you think?
    I suspect I had the heat too low hence it look so long :confused:
    Originally posted by ellemm
    I would give it a go !! Mine is the opposite and I can't actually get it out of the jar because it is so sticky wondering myself wheather to reheat with a drop more vineger !!??

Tonights pudding is blackberry and apple pie because I took the kids blackberry picking today and forund some small windfall apples. Not got loads but do have enough for a family pie

Not sure on main course yet :rolleyes: Also spent 89p on a bag of sugar so will add to siggy.

T -x-
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - £20.01
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

576Posts Today

5,798Users online

Martin's Twitter