How do i get rid of my timeshare?

Options
Hi i mistakenly bought a RCI timeshare in malta a few years ago and would now like to surrender it.

How do i go about this as im about to lose my job and i cant afford to pay this years maintenance fee whatever it will be.

If anybody wants it i will let them take it off my hands for free!

Any advice would be beneficial

Many thanks

Comments

• blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    Options
    There are many firms who will try to sell it for you but their fee's can be high.

Have you thought about selling it on ebay?
  • Leanne1812
    Leanne1812 Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

I think you will struggle to sell. I owned a timeshare( bought in a moment of madness) and it was one of the sorriest mistakes I ever made. Mine was in the states and I desperately tried to sell it to no avail. In the end I just stopped paying the maintenance and they repossessed. End of. Perhaps that's something for you to consider.

Leanne
  • dampy78
    dampy78 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2009 at 11:16PM
    Options
    Repossessed they just took the certificate?

Did it go against your credit rating?
  • mobby-2554
    mobby-2554 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think it will go against your credit rating over here.

A couple of years ago I went to the Sands beach in Lanzarote which was timeshare but one year they refurbished & doubled the maintenance fees. A lot of owners could not afford the double maintenance fees & lost their apts.

I,ve got one in Tenerife & going soon.
    I'm also thinking of giving it up because there's only 2 of us use it now.
    It is worth it if there's a family.
  • mick307
    mick307 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    dampy78 wrote: »
    Hi i mistakenly bought a RCI timeshare in malta a few years ago and would now like to surrender it.

How do i go about this as im about to lose my job and i cant afford to pay this years maintenance fee whatever it will be.

Many thanks

Hi, i could be interested in taking this off your hands, i wouldnt want it for free, thats not fair on you. Any chance you could give me some more info please, where in Malta, website, maintenance fees etc. I love Malta, i want to move to Gozo when i retire. If its within the rules of the site i can give you an email address? If not happy to discuss further on the thread.
    Thanks,
    Mick.
  • costapkt
    costapkt Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options

Many thanks

Do not accept any offers you might receive by cold callers offering to buy your Timeshare. Many of these are scammers and will ask for money upfront usually 1300 pounds/Euros. Any firm that asks you to travel overseas to buy your Timeshare Do not touch with a bargepole. Also be wary of adverts in the press offering to take Timeshare of your hands. These usually want you to buy into something else.
    As more and more people are having difficulty paying the ever increasing maintenance fees, more and more of these scammers are cropping up.
    So be careful.
    I just walked away.
  • dampy78
    Options
    costapkt wrote: »
    Do not accept any offers you might receive by cold callers offering to buy your Timeshare. Many of these are scammers and will ask for money upfront usually 1300 pounds/Euros. Any firm that asks you to travel overseas to buy your Timeshare Do not touch with a bargepole. Also be wary of adverts in the press offering to take Timeshare of your hands. These usually want you to buy into something else.
    As more and more people are having difficulty paying the ever increasing maintenance fees, more and more of these scammers are cropping up.
    So be careful.
    I just walked away.

So you have had a time share in the past, how do you mean you just walked away?
  • costapkt
    costapkt Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    Basically walking away means just that. I stopped paying the maintenance fees and lost my membership. The only problem is the money you have paid for membership, but something had to give and at least I am saving over a grand a year by not paying fees.
    IF you can sell, make sure that it is through a reputable buyer because you can still be landed with the maintenance fee if you sell to cowboys.
    Remember that no buyer can guarantee a sale and any that do will be scammers.
    Do any sale through your solicitor ie money is deposited with them, then the deeds are sent out. But even then, double check your account as it has been known for the money to go missing after everthing has been signed.
    You get ripped of when you are buying, but there are even bigger rip of merchants out there when you try to sell.
    For more info go to Timesharetalk forums. On there you will find the good and the bad.
    Good Luck.
  • Leanne1812
    Leanne1812 Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My timeshare was in Florida and it has never affected my credit rating here. It was initially referred to a debt collection agency in the states to recover the maintenance. When they called me at home I asked could they enforce this debt in the u.k and they told me no. I didn't pay and eventually they sent the foreclosure forms to sign and send back.
    Repossessed they just took the certificate?

Did it go against your credit rating?
  • dampy78
    Options
    Thanks leanne, does anybody know if it will be the same for a eu country?

The holding company is on the isle of man where was yours?

More info people lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport