How do i get rid of my timeshare?

Options
2»

Comments

• stacey1444
    stacey1444 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    My parents have had an RCI timeshare in Florida for over 9 years and have only used it twice, its amazing as we went with them the first year, unfortunately now they want to sell it as they dont use it often enough to get there moneys worth and we have only used it twice also, but have been trying to sell it for over 4 years and have had no luck with any of the firms in Florida who sell them.

They are thinking of just walking away from it too as they cant afford to pay this years maintenance either, but are worried also as to how it will affect them..

any help please ..............
  • Leanne1812
    Leanne1812 Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 August 2009 at 10:07PM
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's in Florida.

David Seigal is the owner of our timeshare company. If you google him or Westgate Resorts you'll see how rich he's got on timeshare. Apparently his new house is the biggest private residence in the whole of America!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

dampy78 wrote: »
    Thanks leanne, does anybody know if it will be the same for a eu country?

The holding company is on the isle of man where was yours?

More info people lol
  • Leanne1812
    Leanne1812 Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tell them I stopped paying my maintenance and they repossessed. To default was the only means of getting shot of this milestone. This was in Florida. My credit rating is fine in the u.k.
    stacey1444 wrote: »
    My parents have had an RCI timeshare in Florida for over 9 years and have only used it twice, its amazing as we went with them the first year, unfortunately now they want to sell it as they dont use it often enough to get there moneys worth and we have only used it twice also, but have been trying to sell it for over 4 years and have had no luck with any of the firms in Florida who sell them.

They are thinking of just walking away from it too as they cant afford to pay this years maintenance either, but are worried also as to how it will affect them..

any help please ..............
  • costapkt
    costapkt Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    dampy78 wrote: »
    Thanks leanne, does anybody know if it will be the same for a eu country?

The holding company is on the isle of man where was yours?

More info people lol

There are a few threats going around from various companies against people who have not paid their fees. Amongst them are CLC ( Club La Costa ) who, according to other Forums are sending solicitors letters out to non payers. Also have seen mentioned that Palm Oasis Resorts have issued County Court claims against owners who have not paid fees.
    In my case my Credit rating was shot to pieces anyway with trying to rob Peter to pay Paul with trying to pay back loan on Timeshare + Maintenance fees. I now have a claim in for selling by 'Gross Misrepresentation' and have not paid anything for several years.
    If you go on the TCA site (Timeshare Consumers Association ) there is a phone number on there and you can talk to someone about your problem and you should get some good advice. A lot of people are now going for the misselling of their Timeshare under ' Gross Misrepresentation '
    This means that the promises made at the time of signing where not met.
    ie. You can get any week,any destination etc.and fees will not go up
    If you want to go by this route collect any evidence of the alleged misselling and send a letter to the Timeshare Co. outlining these. Also
    if you are still paying off the loan for the Timeshare send same letter to the finance Co. as well, as they can still be held responsible for the misselling.
    On the TCA site you will find a few success stories against Asset Link a DCA ( debt collecting agency )
    Hang on in there .
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spam reported
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure