Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 15th Jun 06, 12:07 PM
    • 9,418Posts
    • 22,338Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    The end of balance transfers as we know it? Blog Discussion
    • 15th Jun 06, 12:07 PM
    The end of balance transfers as we know it? Blog Discussion 15th Jun 06 at 12:07 PM
    This is a chat forum discussion on Martin's 'The end of balance transfers as we know it?' blog which you can read here.

Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
  • hanncy
    • 22nd Jun 06, 10:39 AM
    End of balance transfers as we know it?
    • 22nd Jun 06, 10:39 AM
    It sure is! I lent my son quite a sum of money and with juggling put it all on to 0% cards. I have managed this extremely well over the last couple of years constantly swapping cards without getting transfer fees every 6 or 9 months and my son has dilligently paid me every month. There is just 1700 left and I needed a new 0% in May and applied for an Abbey card (MBNA) - was turned down. Tried another 2 cards that were MBNA Bank - both turned down. Received through the post an invitation to apply for an MBNA Platinum card - turned down! Cross by this time as I knew my Credit Score to be above average, I phoned MBNA and was told that it is now their policy not to issue any 0% cards to people who have held them before! OK, fair enough I have been a 'Tart' and had a good run for my money. However at the same time my husband applied for a Buy to Let mortgage. He applied to two different companies to see which was the best deal and as the property was to be in our joint names 2 more searches were done on my credit! I had to make 3 further applications before I was given a 0% card with a limit of only 1500. On investigation I found that my Credit Score has plumeted due to so many searches! I do think MBNA could have just told me their policy without doing searches. I am glad only a small sum is owing as I think it is going to get more and more difficult. It is also so time consuming, reading all Martin's advice for the best deals and then filling out the forms - and in the meantime I got lumbered with a months interest! Still I have done well, had alot of money at 0%, really due to reading Martin's words of wisdom!
  • Anne, Oxford
    • 22nd Jun 06, 6:52 PM
    MBNA won't give you two hits
    • 22nd Jun 06, 6:52 PM
    You're right about MBNA, Hanncy. I applied for the BMI Baby card as recommened by Martin in order to get the airmiles, but they turned down my application. I was shocked. I have an excellent credit score - i thought. but am also a rate tart. Turns out that it was an MBNA card and because i took advantage of the Virgin balance transfer, which is also MBNA, and checked out just before time was up and spent not a bean on the card, they wouldn't let me take 'em for the second time. I was concerned that I was put in the position of not being able to respond "NO" to the question "have you ever been denied a credit card before" but on reflection - if they're asking, then they don't know, so I'll still answer "no" to that one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,699Posts Today

7,629Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LeedsWomensAid: We are pleased to see @MartinSLewis raising awareness about the important issue of financial abuse. Have a read of his?

• Didn't get your MSE weekly email today - for some reason Microsoft (inc outlook hotmail) filed many as spam so chec? https://t.co/GH6aH9CBTn

• RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Follow Martin