We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wife got mugged.

Options
Wife got mugged over the weekend and broke her Elbow in try to save her handbag.

There was lot of things in the handbag including Gift cards of Next and Mothercare.

Called Next and they are Stopping the card and issuing a new one.

Mothercare refused to do the same as they say Gift card is like cash and if its stolen then they will not replace it !

Does anybody has any idea if its true?

If it’s true then why some one will ever buy Mothercare gift card?

Comments

• gabycat
    gabycat Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your wife.

Mothercare are right thou, gift cards are treated like cash
    Crazy cat lady
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Poor wife :(

Gift cards to me are just a more purposeful way of giving cash. Not quite as 'cold' as giving someone cash for a birthday.... you can feel like you're helping someone buy something from a shop you know they buy from. It's not as if it's a card that only one person can use (in most cases)

Sorry... ramble ramble... yeah I consider them pretty insecure... like a postal order.
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hope your wife is recovering from her shock and fracture. Also that the scum that did it get their karma too.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • morg_monster
    Options
    I've got to be honest it seems callous of Mothercare not to replace them as a gesture of goodwill. There can't be that many people it occurs too. And while I can see that paper vouchers can't be policed, surely these plastic cards have a traceable number on so they CAN be cancelled?

Did you get a police crime number; were the vouchers listed in the contents (not even sure if they write down contents of stolen bags anyway).

only thing i can suggest is a longer letter to the owner of mothercare perhaps, saying that you are long term customers and are very disappointed that after the shock of this distressing incident in which your wife was physically injured you have to deal with the loss of these vouchers which you were going to use to buy such-and-such. You had hoped that they would be able to reissue the card, especially as another retailer was able to do this for the other gift card in her wallet at the time.
  • garichd
    garichd Posts: 150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got to be honest it seems callous of Mothercare not to replace them as a gesture of goodwill. There can't be that many people it occurs too. And while I can see that paper vouchers can't be policed, surely these plastic cards have a traceable number on so they CAN be cancelled?

Did you get a police crime number; were the vouchers listed in the contents (not even sure if they write down contents of stolen bags anyway).

only thing i can suggest is a longer letter to the owner of mothercare perhaps, saying that you are long term customers and are very disappointed that after the shock of this distressing incident in which your wife was physically injured you have to deal with the loss of these vouchers which you were going to use to buy such-and-such. You had hoped that they would be able to reissue the card, especially as another retailer was able to do this for the other gift card in her wallet at the time.

Thanks for the reply everbody..

morg_monster - yes we have been given crime reference number and the contents of the bag is listed.

I have called the Mothercare again and had a bit of argument with the customer services. In the end they agreed to replace it if I can produce the original receipt of the card or if the card was purchased by credit/debit card.

The card was gift from my office colleagues and it was paid in cash, however I will look for original receipt upon reaching home.

Currently I have the receipt of goods purchased on the card - I am sure they can trace the card details by using that receipt but they are not very helpful.

Lets see if I can find the original receipt.
  • WPC
    WPC Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,
    How upsetting for the whole family. I hope your wife is feeling better. As you Wife has been a victim of a violent crime she would be entitled to make a CICA claim even if they dont identify the offender.
    If she contacts the Officer who delt with her he/she should pass her details on to victim support who will in turn pass them on to the CICA office.:D
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    I'm very sorry for your wife, & hope she is starting to feel better.

However, I think Mothercare are correct - giftcards are like cash, & whilst Next have been generous in stopping the card & reissuing it, they didn't have to.

Can't you claim the value of the missing giftcards along with the insurance claim for everything your wife lost? I know when I had my handbag stolen (not mugged- just nicked), it came to a scary amount when I added up the cost of the handbag, the wallet, my phone, make up, ipod etc, & that was before the amount of the money I actually had on me.

Don't forget to cancel all her loyalty cards. I also lost all my nectar & boots points - they'd been spent before I cancelled them :mad:
  • Girlzmum
    Girlzmum Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope your wifes arm heals quickly. Some people are just scum.
    Norn Iron Club member 273:beer:
  • garichd
    garichd Posts: 150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sooz wrote: »
    I'm very sorry for your wife, & hope she is starting to feel better.

However, I think Mothercare are correct - giftcards are like cash, & whilst Next have been generous in stopping the card & reissuing it, they didn't have to.

Can't you claim the value of the missing giftcards along with the insurance claim for everything your wife lost? I know when I had my handbag stolen (not mugged- just nicked), it came to a scary amount when I added up the cost of the handbag, the wallet, my phone, make up, ipod etc, & that was before the amount of the money I actually had on me.

Don't forget to cancel all her loyalty cards. I also lost all my nectar & boots points - they'd been spent before I cancelled them :mad:

It may sound strange but we don't have Insurance, We live in a rented accommodation and the house is fully furnished, never thought of buying any insurance.

Good point about loyalty cards, now need to figure out which ones were in wife’s handbag.

Current total loss is around £400 plus costs to get the duplicate license, duplicate SIM , new keys /locks .

WPC - will find out by CICA
  • pink_princess
    Options
    How awful for your wife,i hope she is ok other than the elbow.Things like this can really shake people.
    I wish you look with mother care and can t believe in these times that they would nt put customer loyality above anything else.
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family