Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    rosieben
    February 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jan 09, 12:15 PM
    February 2009 Grocery Challenge 28th Jan 09 at 12:15 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the February 2009 Grocery Challenge.

Pink isn't around at the moment, so I've ok'd with Penelope Penguin to start off the new thread. We start with Pink's usual opening posts.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the January Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Good luck everyone

Rosieben xx
    Last edited by rosieben; 28-01-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Page 17
  • mummy2mygirls
    Ess-six i understand on the oh coming to 'help' mine is a nightmare and like a kid putting loads in the trolley!!!!

I have done a online tesco shop for wed night - cheapest delivery slot! but it is saying guide price of 135 I know it will be a little less because of offers etc but still going to be a big one!! The plan is to do this big shop including toilet rolls nappies wipes and other heavy things like tins etc and then i will just top up at the market etc for fruit, veg and meet etc.....will see how i get on..... I cant face the tesco shop on my own as ive got SPD which makes pushing the trolley a nightmare at the moe so thought this might be a good option........

Off to do meal plan for the week and see what i can have for tonight......
    GC: Nov: 60.22/450 Oct: 338.48/450, July: 363.05/450, June 447.98/500
    2 savers No68: 104/100

mummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.
    • mummyyof5
    • By mummyyof5 2nd Feb 09, 11:08 AM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 39,830 Thanks
    mummyyof5
    Its a NSD for me today,will just need veg ,bacon oats and loads more carrots later in the week Carrot and coriander soup being consumed at the mo it is soooo nice...must make loads more.
    • PurpleSkies
    • By PurpleSkies 2nd Feb 09, 11:20 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 1,740 Thanks
    PurpleSkies
    Crikey! This thread has grown a huge amount over the weekend!

Well I did my shopping in lidl & farmfoods this weekend and spent under 8!!! How did I manage that?! Even managed to let a sneaky deep dish pizza slip into the basket which I scoffed last night. So that was my treat for the week!

The snow is making me want to make soup so I think that shall be a plan for tomorrow as I already have tonights dinner sorted.
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 2nd Feb 09, 11:41 AM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 56,866 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    Sorry late declared last month. I would like to do this month on 315 for 7 of us.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Cazzie
    • By Cazzie 2nd Feb 09, 11:55 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    Cazzie
    Am in again this month.. came in about 15 over budget for Jan so will stick with 200 for 5 of us
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 2nd Feb 09, 12:00 PM
    • 4,369 Posts
    • 30,042 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi hope all are well and warm ....have u had snow ? weve been out playing in it.....i love the pic of the doggy in the snow what a cutie...it really facilitates nsd the snow unless u dont get milk delivered and have to pop out...iv just told my son to eat his packed lunch(his school closed)he didnt seem very impressed but i thought waste not etc we are having a turkey crown for tea fro xmas....its been in the freezer not just sitting about in the kitchen i got it reduced in the coop on xmas eve.....thats the last of my xmas bargains so ill have to collect stuff on easter sat .....i was looking over the recipes at the start of the thread...its very impressive....im going to try some moreof them...bounty balls maybe....sounds nice.....have a great day tess
  • Girl least likely to
    Didn't expect to be spending on groceries today, had to go to local town to get cold mixture etc for OH's man flu and popped into Sainsbury's to see if I could reclaim my 1 parking fee as I park there. It's only a 5 spend to get the fee back and didn't have to look too hard. Muller light yogurts are 4 for 1, so I got 8 and my fave NY bagels were on BOGOF but I managed to get 2 whoopsied and they still went though the till on offer . Also got some basics mozzerella as DD wants to make pizza and some beans and banana's. So 4.52 to add to my sig.
  • orchid-96
    I went into my MrS shop today to allocate it to a delivery time sometime Thursday and all the slots are gone till Sunday :confused: spoke to them and apparantly as not much being delivered today all the customers have been on re-booking for the rest of the week, I am sooo annoyed at myself as I had thought I had booked the slot at the weekend but I obviously didn't checkout.... I had been working on that for ages and it had all the stuff for ds birthday party on Saturday as well as some good offers and lots of their great basics..

oh well, will have to go shopping instead now and maybe still have a MrS shop for next week, I had gone onto MrT to do it instead, but everything I seem to need is way more expensive might try asda but I find their site difficult to navigate and havn't got loads of time now....

Anyway will hopefully be a nsd today as weather keeping us all in anyway...

Hope you are all ok in the snowstorms
    Jun GC 250.00/12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • TrixieB
    Spent 10.26 in the Co-op - alas no 5p bargains today!! Also put my fortnightly Tesco order through to be delivered this week - guide price is at 57 not including offers of course, plus used xxsave to get 5 off over 50 Off to update my signature
    Last edited by TrixieB; 02-02-2009 at 1:06 PM.
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!

• rosieben
    ..... Can someone please give me a recipe to make some (easy pastry) for a pie please, ive been looking but i cannot find anything:confused: as i never seem to find the right place
    many thanks x
    Originally posted by jessie18
    I presume you mean shortcrust pastry, so here are a couple of links to start you off

there's the best mince pie pastry ever thread, Pastry economics or Making pastry
    also a recipe for basic pastry here

offsite links - several options to choose from including oil based pastry at
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,easy_pastry,FF.html

and there's a shortcrust pastry recipe with pics here;

I'll put those links on the front page

edited to say - if anyone has good pastry links please tell me and I'll add them too
    Last edited by rosieben; 02-02-2009 at 2:04 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • scotsaver
    Hi TheBees - thanks for the advice on going to the Butchers, really helpful and thanks to all others who have been discussing this - looks like a lot of us are going for this option.

OH didn't make it to work today, no buses in London and no trains and both of my kids School's were closed so we headed off to the Park, chasing each other with Snowballs - great fun.

We had Roast chicken yesterday so the Carcass has been boiled to make Stock so soup tonight and Chicken pie with the remainder of the chicken stripped off, doing Jacket potatoes to go with the pie and some baked beans.

Hope you are all staying safe and warm in this deep snow.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Galaxy863
    Could I be put down for 250 again for February please?

I think I may have gone slightly over last months target as I went to Mr S just before pay day but can't remember how much I spent ( went in to get my guinea pigs some food and ended up spending at least 25! ). I need to get my food spending down, I always run out of things like milk and sarnie fillers and go to supermarkets with the intention of just getting what I need but always spend more and thats what's putting me over budget.
    GROCERY CHALLENGE!!
    For petrol, food & toiletries for 2 adults and 2 guinea pigs!
    October 150/158.61 November 150/213.52 December 250/230.92 January 250/204.27
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 2nd Feb 09, 2:09 PM
    • 5,137 Posts
    • 49,973 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Spent 32.77 to-day on meat...hopefully I will get at least 8 dinners out of it...like the meat I get in the village...supermarket there is very expensive so I only buy anything else there when we are badly stuck. Still have to do a shop in Aldi/Lidl over the next few days, hoping to keep total spend this week to less than 65.

Chicken with onion, turnip, baked potatoes and squash to night, fruit for pudding.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • elizabunny
    Afternoon All. Hope everyone is well and keeping warm.

Heavy snow falling here at the moment. I think we all knew this was coming, so I've spent the day cooking 8 portions of veggie soup, 7 apple crumbles, 2 HM bread and 12 falafel -goodness you'd think I was expecting to be snowed in Also soaked, cooked and froze some red kidney beans. Have dispatched DH to collect 2 more 1 kg bags of Caster Sugar from MrL as it's only 89p in there and also need 2 more bags of bread flour to pop in cupboard just in case.

I was hoping for a NSD but not today, at least I had 1 yesterday. Will update sig. later when I have receipt.

HM Soup, Sausage Plait with Mash & Veggies, Apple Crumble & Custard for Dinner tonight -we won't be able to move Better take the dogs for a run in the snow
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
    • Toonie
    • By Toonie 2nd Feb 09, 2:29 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 3,577 Thanks
    Toonie
    Gammon and lentil soup
    Well, I cooked the gammon steaks for lunch and there was loads. So, with the leftovers I've made soup.

Half an onion (though you may want more-I can only eat a little or I'm ill)
    1 rasher of bacon (optional)
    Glug of white wine (optional)
    Knob of butter
    Carrots (chopped small enough for a chunky soup)
    Vegetable stock cube & Water to cover (or homemade stock)
    A couple small potatoes (peeled and chopped)
    Red lentils
    Herbs
    Cooked gammon

Put butter in pan, add chopped onion and bacon, fry until coloured slightly. Add a splash of wine (end of bottle) and cook off. Add a couple cups of water or stock (just used a teacup) then add lentils (handful). Boil for ten minutes, then if needed add more water. Crumble in stock cube if using and add extra herbs if you want. Simmer for another five minutes. Add chopped carrot and any other root vegetables you have. Simmer for a further five minutes before adding the potatoes and cooked gammon. Then simmer for as long as you like. The lentils will be cooked by this point, so its just a case of the potatoes and carrots cooking. Ideally the potato will help thicken slightly. Do keep an eye on the liquid level if leaving to simmer for a while though.

This shouldn't need any extra salt, as the bacon and gammon are quite salty. If serving straight away, you could add a handful of frozen peas/sweetcorn if you like just before serving.
    Last edited by Toonie; 02-02-2009 at 3:02 PM. Reason: My inability to type properly
  • miserly_mum
    Took some of the great advice I read on here everyday.

I made 450g of mince stretch to make one family size shepherds pie, 2 individual sized shepherds pies and a wee mini sized one for my 3 year old at lunchtime.

Added the usual carrots and onions plus lentils,a big tin of beans, gravy granules and a squirt of brown sauce and tomato puree. It tastes loverly

Also made chicken,bacon and lentil soup in the slowcooker.Will try to get an apple crumble done aswell.

This is really the weather for soups and good stodgy winter foods.
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • mumzyof2
    Afternoon all,

I have had nsd today.. But tomorrow as im passing farmfoods i will go in and get 2 x 4pints of milk for 1 each. Much cheaper than my corner shop so that will last us till next week. I will put one in the freezer too. Can you freeze full fat milk?
    Might pop into aldi to and get some bacon - its low fat appeently and you get 10 rashes at moment for about 1.35!!
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far 27.67, Live off 4k Spent 330.20 GC 1,200 for 2009 Spent 50.78 PaD so far 650.07
    Debts: L/woods 154.00 C/One PAID O/D 649.90 Next 299.95 O/D PAID Gas 72.60 Electric 155.73 Mum 640.00 Orange 490.32
    • sexki11en
    • By sexki11en 2nd Feb 09, 4:00 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 2,994 Thanks
    sexki11en
    Going to a 'do' in Grimsby next weekend so am going to get a box of fresh fish from the docks.. normally contains massive fillets of haddock at 1 a fillet plus other bits and pieces at wholesale prices! Bargain.
    Originally posted by butterfly72
    Sorry to chop your post up but where abouts on the docks do you go for this? I grew up in Grimsby and left before I was old enough to care about moneysaving lol, but the folks are still there so I could grab some when I visit.

I usually grab it from Freeman st market when i'm home as it's cheaper than most places but not that cheap.

SK x
    After 4 years of heartache, 3 rounds of IVF and 1 loss - we are finally expecting our miracle Ki11en - May 2014

And a VERY surprise miracle in March 2017!
    • lillibet dripping
    • By lillibet dripping 2nd Feb 09, 4:20 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 12,484 Thanks
    lillibet dripping
    BexBex - I LOVE your doggie! My two springer spaniels were also out in it and came back with tons of mini snowballs clinging to their very shaggy fur! Took ages to defrost them - kitchen floor flooded. AND THEN WE WENT AND DID IT ALL OVER AGAIN THIS AFTERNOON!
    [DFW Nerd club #1142Proud to be dealing with my debtDMP start date April 2012. Amount 21862April 2013 = 20414 April 2014 = 11000 April 2015 = 9500 April 2016 = 7200
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 2nd Feb 09, 4:25 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 4,511 Thanks
    ladymay
    Spent 19.89 in Mr S today - am starting to get really annoyed at living in a town centre with no car because all proper supermarkets are at least three miles away!!

Still, should be enough for the week - and I'm loving the 4 for 1 mullerlights!!

Anyhoo, thought I'd share a recipe for leek and sweet potato soup - it's yummy and in Mr S both are on offer at the mo:

4 leeks
    1 large sweet potato
    50g butter (I use own-brand low fat spread and it's fine)
    2 basics chicken stock cubes
    200g basics natural yogurt

put the stock cubes in 900ml water. Heat butter and put finely chopped leeks and sweet potato in at a low heat for 10 minutes. Put stock in and simmer (I normally leave it for an hour or so). Blend. Put back on low heat and stir in natural yogurt. Eat!

Handy if you like creamy soups but are watching the calories :rolleyes:

Have a good evening everyone!
    2019 Aim: Save 10,000
    Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,882Posts Today

7,460Users online

Martin's Twitter