The Best Student Discount Cards?

Options

Comments

• Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kibs wrote: »
    HMV are no longer working with NUS. The only way to get a discount is to have a card from HMV. At the moment there is none available until the next academic year, which according to HMV has not started yet.

They will probably start 1st October as the old cards expire 30th September.
  • Melon_head
    Options
    windra wrote: »
    NUS card all the way, almost every high street shop that gives discount want to see the NUS logo to give discount.

I suggest wait til you get to uni because my uni card has the NUS logo on it and i can get discount in most places,however a few dont accept it because it doesnt have an expirery date.

Its also worth noting that Zavvi(previously virgin megastore),HMV & Game all give discount if you apply for a free discount card,its worth sking about.

Hello i was just wondering how you apply for these discount cards? Any help? Thanks
  • lorietta
    lorietta Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Most shops will do a discount if you ask and show your uni ID. At freshers fayre there were loads of people giving out leaflets about various discount cards, and things like free hair cuts ect. It's definately worth going to. Also, I believe if you are a student you can aply for a 16-25 railcard regardless of age, which may well be worth it.
  • Helix
    Options
    Melon_head wrote: »
    Hello i was just wondering how you apply for these discount cards? Any help? Thanks

Well Zavvi no longer exist as a store, HMV have stopped doing student discount and Game only seems to do it in selected stores.

If you want NUS Extra you can get one from http://www.nusextra.org.uk
  • Zack1
    Zack1 Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    I know this is a bit off topic but it's not really worthy of a new one and someone here may know... What's the deal with McDonalds & NUS Extra? I was told buy a McChicken Sandwich for £1.99 & get free fries, which I'm pretty sure it said on my leaflets too, but they always demand I make it a meal to get free fries (which is pointless as I'd also get fries with the meal!). Has the promotion changed or something?
  • Helix
    Options
    Zack1 wrote: »
    I know this is a bit off topic but it's not really worthy of a new one and someone here may know... What's the deal with McDonalds & NUS Extra? I was told buy a McChicken Sandwich for £1.99 & get free fries, which I'm pretty sure it said on my leaflets too, but they always demand I make it a meal to get free fries (which is pointless as I'd also get fries with the meal!). Has the promotion changed or something?

Thats still the promotion, you probably went to a franchised one. They don't have to do the offer at all but they probably decided to do a variation of the offer instead.
  • Zack1
    Zack1 Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    Helix wrote: »
    Thats still the promotion, you probably went to a franchised one. They don't have to do the offer at all but they probably decided to do a variation of the offer instead.
    Ah that sounds right. One of the ones was the one at Paddington station, another time it was the one round the corner from St Pancras and another time was the one in Milton Keynes central shopping. I guess the Milton Keynes one was a franchise, don't know about the others though. How can you tell which ones aren't franchises?
  • Amber_47
    Options
    Does anyone know if these discount cards apply to school students? If so how do I get hold of one and which is best?
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Zack1 wrote: »
    Ah that sounds right. One of the ones was the one at Paddington station, another time it was the one round the corner from St Pancras and another time was the one in Milton Keynes central shopping. I guess the Milton Keynes one was a franchise, don't know about the others though. How can you tell which ones aren't franchises?
    They typically have a very small sign somewhere in a not very visible position in the store saying "Operated by ...". Sometimes it will say McDonalds, other times it will have another name.

I think all the train stations McD's are operated as franchises, in fact most McD's are franchises.
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I think all the train stations McD's are operated as franchises, in fact most McD's are franchises.

I thought this was the case. But Wikipedia claims that "fewer than 30% of restaurants are franchised, with the majority under the ownership of the company." But there's no source.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure