Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 60
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 8th Jul 08, 1:25 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    (So jealous of you having flower cutters OrkneyStar I've only got round ones )
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    I got my cutters in a huge box from Lakeland, got them just after we got married and was going through a baking phase (did not work FT or have DS then lol so lots of time for a few months ). Funny thing is I only wanted round ones but could not find them for love nor money! As a result I now have pretty much every shape under the sun, round, flowers, animals, people etc etc! I will try again to take and post a pic of them. Thanks again for the recipe- would not have had any shaped gingerbreads without that! Also just to say I had to use darker brown sugar, but they tasted yummy, just a little darker in colour. Nice brown flowers lol!
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 08-07-2008 at 1:40 PM.
    • craftingqueen
    • By craftingqueen 8th Jul 08, 1:26 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    craftingqueen
    Goodafternoon everyone, cooking dinner yeaterday did'nt go to plan as what i was planning which was chicken curry. I end up smashing a glass casserole dish lid all over my hob which in turn glass pieces got in to the rice and curry, so had to throw it out and grab something out of the freezer instead.
    Made some dough up to make icebuns , hubby has just finished making choc chip flapjacks and some millie's cookies they are lovely.

CQ
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
    • mama67
    • By mama67 8th Jul 08, 1:30 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    Gingerbread Muffins
    9oz plain flour
    1½ tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp bicarb soda
    ½ tsp salt
    1 tsp each ground ginger & cinnamon
    1 egg
    5oz soft brown sugar ( I use whatever I've got)
    3 floz veg oil
    3 tbsp black treacle
    6 floz milk

Oven 200°C

Makes 12 largish

Mix all dry ingredients together in one bowl
    In another bowl mix all wet
    Pour wet into dry and mix until combined
    Will be runnier than a normal muffin batter
    Spoon into muffin tin
    Bake approx 20-25 mins until tops springy and firm

I also add in handful Cinnamon Chips

Lovely served warm with apple sauce and cream or icecream.

Also freeze well once cooled.

I also sometimes cook this as 2 x 1lb loaves which are great for cake stalls etc.
    Last edited by mama67; 08-07-2008 at 1:39 PM. Reason: extra info
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 8th Jul 08, 1:30 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    wow,
    Don't think I had better cook that one then or the maintainace D' plan will be out the window
    HWGA
    Originally posted by Herewegoagain
    It was the Weetabix Brownies not the cake(since got pregnant I seem to have lost my brain ). But I think i'll have to only make this one a month otherwise I'll put on toooo much weight

angelnikki would you put the same amount as the plain flour? only just started cooking since I joined GC.

When to asda only wanted a few bits tried to stick to list spent £30.09 then when I unpacked the bottled water i found 8 bottles in the cupboard where DH had unpacked the week before but at least it will keep.
    GC £7.79/£225 per month ~ wk1 £ 7.79/ £50
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 8th Jul 08, 1:38 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Goodafternoon everyone, cooking dinner yeaterday did'nt go to plan as what i was planning which was chicken curry. I end up smashing a glass casserole dish lid all over my hob which in turn glass pieces got in to the rice and curry, so had to throw it out and grab something out of the freezer instead.
    Originally posted by craftingqueen
    Oh dear, that is terrible Hope no lasting damage was done.
    I think braking the dish into the meal is a valid excuse for having an alternative!
    x
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 8th Jul 08, 1:40 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Turbo yep thats right just replace with SR flour - If you're worried they're gonna rise up too much then just half the amount of baking powder. (shouldnt be a problem though as the recipe I use has 1tbsp baking powder)

300g SR flour
    1Tbsp baking powder
    80 g sugar (any kind - depends on other ingredients)

2 large eggs
    220ml milk
    100g melted butter

Pour into 12 muffin cases and bake at gas 6 for 30 mins. Eat fresh or freeze - they don't keep nearly as well as other cakes.

Favourite flavours:
    2 bananas and 100g choc chips
    100g raspberries, 100g white choc chips
    200g blueberries, top with demerara
    2Tbsp instant decaf coffee, mixed with splash of boiling water, 200g rough chopped walnuts.
    Originally posted by Penelope Penguin
    Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 08-07-2008 at 2:11 PM.
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 8th Jul 08, 1:41 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    My condolances to MrsMc at this hard time.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT £92727.75 £49395.47 £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt £52856.59 £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my £6316.14 £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • zekepes
    I'm in my first month and I have started recording all my spending (non regular bills etc - DH does that) on ms money. What an eye opener!

I am thinking regarding of 'grocery' as simply food and soft drinks - as I can now separate it from alcohol, household cleaning, pet food and supplies, magazines and toiletries etc which have previously been lumped together in the supermarket spend (and cashback with DH then spend down the pub!).

28th July - 8th July:

Food : Groceries 169.48

I filled my new (small) chest freezer up so that will be a considerable part of it done for the month (at least).

It seems much more manageable to control this one (large!) part first!

Finally - I think I am getting a handle on my spending and household budgets!
  • Jazer
    Hi

My first week on the Grocery Challenge has gone rather well!

This is entirely because I have been in bed with flu for over a week and we have been living out of the freezer

So my total spend so far has been £27.58

• craftingqueen
    • By craftingqueen 8th Jul 08, 1:47 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    craftingqueen
    hi Orkneystar could'nt risk giving as a dinner especially as the glass went everywhere. OH said he thinks the glass lid must have turn brittle. This happen on a day , when all over the news was all about throwing food away, but i did have a very good excuse lol.

CQ
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
    • mama67
    • By mama67 8th Jul 08, 2:03 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    NSD for me. Although I have earmarked 50p for DD's no uniform day on friday
    Originally posted by roxy7699
    What our school has done the last few times they have had a non-uniform day have had the kids "pay" with items for the tombola stall, then it is a win win situation, parents don't get asked on all sides for money and donations and also the tombola stall gets items.

The next non-uniform day is Tuesaday and this time it is a childrens craft paymetn ready for teh summer fayre the following weekend.
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
    • mama67
    • By mama67 8th Jul 08, 2:18 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    Morning all.
    Well lets just say I know where most of our local town and the surrounding ones were last night. DH and I decided to go 'for a look' to Tesco's- it seems ok although was hard to judge completely due to most of the aisles being chocca with people!
    I spent £50, although silly me did not cut a £5 off £30 voucher from the paper! Never mind I might well spend £30 again before the end of the month if I make sure all other shops are just £1 for milk etc. I did use £4.50 worth of vouchers I already had though (£1.50 points and a brand coupon for something I did buy) so not too bad, and got the green points for reusing bags. I am actually quite pleased with self as most of the stuff I bought was either: 1. stuff I like to keep in stock (flour, yeast etc), 2. a few things we were pretty low on. 3. milk, FV for this week (FV likely do longer). I also used the tip of looking at the bottom shelves, and hey presto there is value stuff there!
    Some good buys were: 1. value plain flour (36p) hidden very low!, 2. value sweetcorn (20p)- also hidden low, 3. cooking choccie (39p), 4. 3 onken bio pots for £3 (they cost normally £1.69 each here!!), 5. value tomatoes (19p), 6. tinned peaches (35p), 7. tinned strawberries (25p), 8. dopiaza sauce (86p) - normally even the own brand store sauces are at least 20p more than that with the stores we have! 9. white bread flour (48p). I was also impressed with the juices, the chiller ones were cheaper so got three for £2.25 as a treat and stocked up on the normal cartons as they were all £1 or under (did not get any of the value apple or orange juice this time but maybe next time). Finally it was also great to get some new choices.
    Hmmmm, highlight of my week is a shopping trip lol!
    Aiming for NSD's today, Wed,Thur and Fri.
    Ok, hope you all well and that my story of my trip to Tesco has not bored you all too much!
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    Look in the choccy aisle this same type of choc is only 23p & 28p depending milk or dark both for 100g bars.

I use this for cooking now.
    • mouche
    • By mouche 8th Jul 08, 2:23 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 4,382 Thanks
    mouche
    OH was working this weekend which meant I didn't go to the supermarket at all - big savings since he always finds something that NEEDS to be bought!

Stopped in at Sainsbury's after work on Friday in search of whoopsied bread - they always have some when I go in for something else but of course, they didn't have any on Friday. But I did get 6 wholemeal baps for 30p instead. Ate 2 for breakfast over the weekend and froze 4 for burgers sometime in the future. I also got Kelloggs All Bran for my baking activities and 1 litre skim milk.

Total spend: £2.96. That leaves £24-ish for the rest of the month. Difficult but doable if OH goes on working weekends.

I baked muffins and biscuits this weekend with recipes out of my Australian diabetic book. The banana muffins were too 'healthy' for my husband's taste, but the lemon and coconut ones were scrummy and the sugar free oat biscuits were good too! As was the salmon quiche which is serving as my work lunches for the week. So a good weekend all round.

3 NSDs but today I need to get bread, juice and lemons. Wonder if I can manage it under £2? will report back tomorrow!
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £131,290.03 (05/11/2018) MFW target for 2018: £2,406.04/ £3,000
    2017 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £29/£300 (November) NSDs: 2/15 (November)
    Lose 3st 9lb: 0/3st 9lb
  • jackk
    sending love and ((((((Hugs)))))) to Mrs M.

Jackie x
  • mandy_moo_1
    in the process of trying to catch up on the thread!!

thanks bigmummaF for letting us know about Mrs Mc

Mrs Mc we are all thinking of you and your family at this sad time (((hugs)))

well have managed my 2nd NSD today just doing pasta and tuna for tea, so a nice easy one!!

have spent the entire day cleaning out all my gran's kitchen cupboards and windows. the whole house is all sparkly clean now!!

• Herbaholic
    Hope everyone is well? Hugs to Mrs M, in my thoughts at this sad time. Hugs also to everyone else feeling poorly, I have a herb tea mix I drink when I have a cold and it cuts the time I'm ill down loads, not sure I can post home remedies here though :confused:

Phew it took ages to catch up with this thread! Note to self, read each day do not leave for 4 days then try and catch up! 2 NSD's in a row now, yesterday I had a migraine all day and couldn't face the world, today its miserable and wet and I don't feel like going out. Besides have everything in we need at least until weekend, so shouldn't need to spend anything. I'll give the strawberry muffins a try, thanks for the recipe, just picked some strawberries from the garden as well, so don't need to buy them for the muffins and going to make the lemon verbena and strawberry pudding with the mascarpone cheese I have in, not very good for diets but it tastes heavenly! I made lavender and lemon biscuits and rosemary and orange biscuits today, made extra mix and froze some, so just need to thaw cut and bake next time. I used the lavender and rosemary from the garden, got some lemon geranium leaves that are begging to be added to a lemon cake as well. Speaking of herby uses, someone Greent? mentioned using white vinegar and adding essential oil instead of fabric con to the wash. I make my own herb scented vinegar, I half fill a jar with lavender flowers and leaves from the garden, pour on white vinegar and leave on a sunny windowsill for two weeks. Then strain the vinegar off the herbs and you can use it in salad dressings, the washer or the mop bucket and it smells lovely! I've made rose petal vinegar and rosemary vinegar and orange and lemon (citrus) vinegar using left over peel, loads of uses and smells really nice!

I'm feeling chuffed today, I used a dustpan and brush to sweep the stairs instead of hoovering, burnt off more calories and saved electric At weekend I invested in a ewbank (my mum used to have one) hubby saw one for £30 in one of the local stores, and thought it would be a good idea, I was put off by the price and the fact that it needed charging with batteries, how is that money saving I refused to waste money on one! Instead I paid £8.99 for a ewbank from Argos, I've used it every day since and not had the hoover out once. Not sure how long until it pays for itself but I get a 'feel good' buzz everytime I use it as it feels 'greener' to clean this way and reminds me of the 60's/70's watching my mum and nan cleaning, so very nostalgic. The floor looks just as tidy as hoovering every day, there's hardly any noise, and as a bonus one of my cats who is terrified of the hoover and runs for cover when it appears in the room, will now continue snoozing on the sofa without panicking at all! Well that's me caught up, shall now go read the other 79 posts that have appeared since I began typing this lol!

Herby
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 ; Jun £278.86/£275.00 ; May £276.13/£280.00
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 8th Jul 08, 3:23 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    have spent the entire day cleaning out all my gran's kitchen cupboards and windows. the whole house is all sparkly clean now!!
    Originally posted by mandy_moo_1
    awww you are a nice grandaughter!
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 8th Jul 08, 3:44 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,864 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Good Afternoon all

angelnikki your peppers look a bit too wet I'd let them dry out a little not all the way but a bit, I have a few little ones but I shall be keeping them indoors as its a bit too cold outside and a little late,but hopefully we will get a few. you need to put them in bigger pots with potting compost, but I would keep them indoors and feed them with tomato food

I have just been to MrsM's to get a few 50p burgers and tomatoes and milk and potatoes well, it all came to £13.02 not bad,, them went to MrT's for butter,, only

denisefowler instead of just adding to the pages of your recipes,, I make a separate word doc for each and save them in a folder called recipes on the desktop,, if you right click on the desktop you can make a new folder, and name it anything you want

see you soon
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• greent
    • By greent 8th Jul 08, 3:57 PM
    • 8,196 Posts
    • 83,272 Thanks
    greent
    Just a quick question, maybe this has been answered somewhere but in my lunch I don't have time to read through all the posts, but does anyone know where I can buy borax? I wanted to make some of the homemade washing powder that I saw somewhere on here, but I can't seem to find any borax? well I can online but it seems e.x.p.e.n.s.i.v.e

Ta muchly xxx
    Originally posted by Little_Belle
    You can get borax in Mr T in the laundry aisle. It's with the eco cleaning stuff and comes in a box for 99p (may have gone up slightly!). Soma asda's have it and some larger Boots stores too

hth :-))

GT
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £532.58/£500
  • Little_Belle
    Thank you Greent

will pop to Asda or Mr T soon then
    Muddling through debt but can't see any light at the end of the tunnel??!! :confused:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,228Posts Today

7,291Users online

Martin's Twitter