PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Floxxie
    Floxxie Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello,
    I would like to join this month please. I have managed to read through the whole thread - how long?! - and would like to go for £200 for the month, although having just tallied up what has already been spent I am going to have to be very inventive by the end of the month!

I found several bags of bread crusts which I had been keeping while I decided what I could do with them. So tonight I made a bread and butter pudding and made breadcrumbs out of the rest of them..ready to be added to meatballs which I shall make next week.

I'll just put the recipe on, just in case anybody fancies an easy but filling pudding:

Serves 3-4
    150g/5oz bread (I used crusts)
    butter
    50g/2oz sultanas
    2 tablespoons of white sugar
    1 large egg
    1/2 pint milk
    nutmeg (I used ground)

1. Butter a dish of approx. 1 litre capacity
    2. Butter the bread and cut into small pieces (I cut mine into 3x3)
    place half the bread into the pie dish, sprinkle on sultanas and half the sugar. Cover with the remaining bread.
    3. Beat the egg and milk, pour over the bread and leave for 30 mins.
    4. Sprinkle top with remaining sugar and put on a little nutmeg.
    5. Bake in a moderate oven, 180c, 350F for about an hour.

I took this from The Complete Farmhouse Kitchen and adapted it a little (they add some candied peel but I don't like it). There is a little note saying that this can be made from stale hot cross buns, bun loaf or Sally Lunn. If fruit is already in the loaf or buns, then you don't need to add any extra.I doubled up the amounts as I knew my boys would be after some more tomorrow.

Floxxie
    Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hello all, I've just caught up on all the posts. We've had dreadful weather this weekend and it's been stormy. We went out last night to the cinema and then for a drink. I had to go and get some paracetamol from the shop while we were out as I had such a bad headache. I felt hideous when I got home and had to sleep in DD's bed because I thought I was going to throw up if DH moved at all in bed.
    Now my headaches back with a vengance despite having had the storm so I don't know what's the matter with me. I've got a huge lump in my throat and I feel bleurgh. I can't even lie down ATM so I'm feeling really sorry for myself!

DH made the moussaka on Friday so we had that for tea tonight too. Lots of food in the fridge so will only need milk this week. He bought some on Saturday but can't remember how much it was. He also bought bacon so I'll guess at £4 spent.
    TTFN peeps.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • zoe260373
    zoe260373 Posts: 868 Forumite
    Options
    Hoping for another NSD today, really enjoying not spending money for a change:D Although i'll definately have to cave and go on sunday, before there is a mutiny! Nearly sorted my meal plan for the week, just need to finish writing my list, need a fair bit of householdy stuff this week, but i've been buying Mr T's value stuff and must say i'm pretty impressed! Dishwasher tabs are fab, cling film etc also really good. Havent downshifted fabric cond though, just using alot less. Right need to go tidy my hovel and write my list before i go to work.
    i know what you mean,i cant (not yet anyway) downgrade fabric softener either,luurve the smell:o but,like you i am using a little less,however,ive been adding vinegar to the rinse too,and i have to say its amazing,the smell doesnt last and it makes everything very,very soft.as my LO is only 4 and 1/2 months his cot sheets havent been used/washed as much as the crib ones so were pretty new almost stiff to the touch but the vinegar has made them soft and fluffy,its great,hope this helps.x
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300:pspends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,:j
  • Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks sav3r, I would never be able to find these things, have saved recipe and will try it later:T :T :A :D
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    Good morning everyone!
    Have a great GC day!
    p.s. Who's in charge of the weather?
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning all :D ,
    I WILL NOT GO TO THE NEW TESCO, I WILL NOT GO TO THE NEW TESCO, I WILL NOT WAIT UNTIL AFTER POST AND SEE HOW I FEEL, I WILL NOT WAIT UNTIL AFTER POST AND SEE HOW I FEEL, I WILL NOT GO FOR A LOOK, I WILL NOT GO FOR SOME BITS, I WILL NOT GO AND STOCK UP, I WILL NOT GO TODAY BECAUSE I DON'T NEED ANYTHING..........tells self this time and time and time again.
    lol Tesco will still be there later in the week and it will be sooooo busy today on opening day that I must not go!!!! Hmmmm have I convinced myself yet ?
    Not really but I will stick to my guns. Lethal going just to 'have a look' but then what about all that lovely bread flour and yeast and bargains.....oooooo, help me resist peoples :eek: :eek: .
    Hope you all have a nice day. If I manage to resist then this will be another NSD for me, I need to knit as did not last night due to being too tired!
    Ta ra,
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning everyone!
    Have a great GC day!
    p.s. Who's in charge of the weather?
    SFT
    Weather is yuuuuucckkkk here :cool: , having to dry my washing next to the one storage heater thats on and nappies will be airing cupboard drying AGAIN :mad:
    Still at least I don't have to water the veggies :T . I don't really mind rain its the wind up here that is so cutting sometimes.
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• savingfortravel
    Options
    Orkneystar-Tesco on its opening day will be hell. You won't beable to find anything you need,there will be crowds of people, if you don't need anything think of the money you'll save instead!!
    Go later in the week, there may even be some whoopsies by then...
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well another wet and miserable morning here as well :mad: i hate it when its like this, i can't be bothered to do anything, and the day just seems to d-r-a-g !!!

it's my DD's 18th b'day today so i'll have to motivate myself and make her a chocolate cake so i can stick candles in it!!! can't believe where the years have gone :o

gotta go to my gran's this mornin and do her housework, change her bed etc, then i'll come home and get cracking in the kitchen i suppose. how on earth can July be so wet and miserable??

other than that, i should be able to manage an NSD today, cos i'm not going anywhere near any shops!

hope everyone has a good day, and (((hugs))) to those that need one xx
  • cookiedough38
    cookiedough38 Posts: 830 Forumite
    Options
    weather is terrible here, anyone would think it was october not july!

I need some advice, we are going away this weekend and staying in a b&b on the saturday, we will get breakfast, but will need lunch the next day. Any ideas what I can make to take that doesnt need to be kept in the fridge.
    Debt free wannabe
    Littlewoods - £214.82 (DD set up so 0%)
    Very - £100 (0% on BNPL - 1/4/13)
    CC - £2600/£3533.53 (0% until 1/6/14)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business