Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 50
  • tq16
    Have struggled to keep up with posts this month, only half way through so far-apologies. Been clearing out the cupboards and trying to plan meals around what we have-have found 2 bags of oatbran, and have no idea what to do with it? any ideas? don't want to waste it, but also don't want it to just sit in cupboard for months. Thank you. Will try and catch up on rest of posts now :-)
    (Family of 5: 2 adults & 3 children aged 7yrs, 4yrs, and 18months)
    • Floxxie
    • By Floxxie 6th Jul 08, 10:56 PM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 5,284 Thanks
    Floxxie
    Hello,
    I would like to join this month please. I have managed to read through the whole thread - how long?! - and would like to go for £200 for the month, although having just tallied up what has already been spent I am going to have to be very inventive by the end of the month!

I found several bags of bread crusts which I had been keeping while I decided what I could do with them. So tonight I made a bread and butter pudding and made breadcrumbs out of the rest of them..ready to be added to meatballs which I shall make next week.

I'll just put the recipe on, just in case anybody fancies an easy but filling pudding:

Serves 3-4
    150g/5oz bread (I used crusts)
    butter
    50g/2oz sultanas
    2 tablespoons of white sugar
    1 large egg
    1/2 pint milk
    nutmeg (I used ground)

1. Butter a dish of approx. 1 litre capacity
    2. Butter the bread and cut into small pieces (I cut mine into 3x3)
    place half the bread into the pie dish, sprinkle on sultanas and half the sugar. Cover with the remaining bread.
    3. Beat the egg and milk, pour over the bread and leave for 30 mins.
    4. Sprinkle top with remaining sugar and put on a little nutmeg.
    5. Bake in a moderate oven, 180c, 350F for about an hour.

I took this from The Complete Farmhouse Kitchen and adapted it a little (they add some candied peel but I don't like it). There is a little note saying that this can be made from stale hot cross buns, bun loaf or Sally Lunn. If fruit is already in the loaf or buns, then you don't need to add any extra.I doubled up the amounts as I knew my boys would be after some more tomorrow.

Floxxie
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 6th Jul 08, 11:08 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    Hello all, I've just caught up on all the posts. We've had dreadful weather this weekend and it's been stormy. We went out last night to the cinema and then for a drink. I had to go and get some paracetamol from the shop while we were out as I had such a bad headache. I felt hideous when I got home and had to sleep in DD's bed because I thought I was going to throw up if DH moved at all in bed.
    Now my headaches back with a vengance despite having had the storm so I don't know what's the matter with me. I've got a huge lump in my throat and I feel bleurgh. I can't even lie down ATM so I'm feeling really sorry for myself!

DH made the moussaka on Friday so we had that for tea tonight too. Lots of food in the fridge so will only need milk this week. He bought some on Saturday but can't remember how much it was. He also bought bacon so I'll guess at £4 spent.
    TTFN peeps.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT £92727.75 £49395.47 £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt £52856.59 £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my £6316.14 £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 7th Jul 08, 12:34 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    Hoping for another NSD today, really enjoying not spending money for a change Although i'll definately have to cave and go on sunday, before there is a mutiny! Nearly sorted my meal plan for the week, just need to finish writing my list, need a fair bit of householdy stuff this week, but i've been buying Mr T's value stuff and must say i'm pretty impressed! Dishwasher tabs are fab, cling film etc also really good. Havent downshifted fabric cond though, just using alot less. Right need to go tidy my hovel and write my list before i go to work.
    Originally posted by gunsandbanjos
    i know what you mean,i cant (not yet anyway) downgrade fabric softener either,luurve the smell but,like you i am using a little less,however,ive been adding vinegar to the rinse too,and i have to say its amazing,the smell doesnt last and it makes everything very,very soft.as my LO is only 4 and 1/2 months his cot sheets havent been used/washed as much as the crib ones so were pretty new almost stiff to the touch but the vinegar has made them soft and fluffy,its great,hope this helps.x
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300spends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 7th Jul 08, 12:58 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Thanks sav3r, I would never be able to find these things, have saved recipe and will try it later
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • savingfortravel
    Good morning everyone!
    Have a great GC day!
    p.s. Who's in charge of the weather?
    SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 7th Jul 08, 6:02 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Good morning all ,
    I WILL NOT GO TO THE NEW TESCO, I WILL NOT GO TO THE NEW TESCO, I WILL NOT WAIT UNTIL AFTER POST AND SEE HOW I FEEL, I WILL NOT WAIT UNTIL AFTER POST AND SEE HOW I FEEL, I WILL NOT GO FOR A LOOK, I WILL NOT GO FOR SOME BITS, I WILL NOT GO AND STOCK UP, I WILL NOT GO TODAY BECAUSE I DON'T NEED ANYTHING..........tells self this time and time and time again.
    lol Tesco will still be there later in the week and it will be sooooo busy today on opening day that I must not go!!!! Hmmmm have I convinced myself yet ?
    Not really but I will stick to my guns. Lethal going just to 'have a look' but then what about all that lovely bread flour and yeast and bargains.....oooooo, help me resist peoples .
    Hope you all have a nice day. If I manage to resist then this will be another NSD for me, I need to knit as did not last night due to being too tired!
    Ta ra,
    x
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 07-07-2008 at 6:06 AM.
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 7th Jul 08, 6:05 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Good morning everyone!
    Have a great GC day!
    p.s. Who's in charge of the weather?
    SFT
    Originally posted by savingfortravel
    Weather is yuuuuucckkkk here , having to dry my washing next to the one storage heater thats on and nappies will be airing cupboard drying AGAIN
    Still at least I don't have to water the veggies . I don't really mind rain its the wind up here that is so cutting sometimes.
    x
  • savingfortravel
    Orkneystar-Tesco on its opening day will be hell. You won't beable to find anything you need,there will be crowds of people, if you don't need anything think of the money you'll save instead!!
    Go later in the week, there may even be some whoopsies by then...
    SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • mandy_moo_1
    well another wet and miserable morning here as well i hate it when its like this, i can't be bothered to do anything, and the day just seems to d-r-a-g !!!

it's my DD's 18th b'day today so i'll have to motivate myself and make her a chocolate cake so i can stick candles in it!!! can't believe where the years have gone

gotta go to my gran's this mornin and do her housework, change her bed etc, then i'll come home and get cracking in the kitchen i suppose. how on earth can July be so wet and miserable??

other than that, i should be able to manage an NSD today, cos i'm not going anywhere near any shops!

hope everyone has a good day, and (((hugs))) to those that need one xx

• cookiedough38
    weather is terrible here, anyone would think it was october not july!

I need some advice, we are going away this weekend and staying in a b&b on the saturday, we will get breakfast, but will need lunch the next day. Any ideas what I can make to take that doesnt need to be kept in the fridge.
    Debt free wannabe
    Littlewoods - £214.82 (DD set up so 0%)
    Very - £100 (0% on BNPL - 1/4/13)
    CC - £2600/£3533.53 (0% until 1/6/14)
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 7th Jul 08, 6:58 AM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    i know what you mean,i cant (not yet anyway) downgrade fabric softener either,luurve the smell but,like you i am using a little less,however,ive been adding vinegar to the rinse too,and i have to say its amazing,the smell doesnt last and it makes everything very,very soft.as my LO is only 4 and 1/2 months his cot sheets havent been used/washed as much as the crib ones so were pretty new almost stiff to the touch but the vinegar has made them soft and fluffy,its great,hope this helps.x
    Originally posted by zoe260373
    Bought Tesco own brand concentrated fabric cond, will let you know how it is. If i dont like it i'll just go back to Lenor or Comfort(i buy whats on offer).
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • victory
    Sorry I have not been on for absolute yonks but have moved,packed, unpacked, decorated, fixed things in the house, gardening, inherited an eating apple tree some beautiful flower beds,roses, lovely house but needed a good doing up, pink, purple and red walls had to be toned down done very well with the grocery challenge because I have not had the time to get to the shops and relied heavily on tins, rice, pasta and anything I had in so the food bill has been dramatically cut,we have had some odd dinners but now we are getting settled, the kitchen is a fitted one with the fridge and freezer there but I also brought mine so that I can go to asda for the whoopsies, hopefully they do it in this one as have not been yet to try, all we have been doing is painting, sanding, glossing, fixing, exhausting and lost 8lb in 2 weeks for the stress and work

Going to Spain for a month in 24 days so only have July to do the challenge, the august challenge will be the spanish one which will be a lot cheaper as their fresh fish is so much cheaper and thier peppers, tomatoes etc off the market.

Have not been here long enough or out of the house to see if they have a farmers market around here or what they have, I know morrisons is close by and Tesco which I am not a fan on, prefer lidl, aldi and asda, we shall see
    [QUOTE=misspiggy;51404641]I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 7th Jul 08, 6:59 AM
    • 6,820 Posts
    • 35,979 Thanks
    tattycath
    A bit late I know, but please can you enter my budget for July at £220. Many thanks
    GE 36 *MFD
    MFIT-T4 No 83
    Mortgage overpayments:

Emergency savings £100/£2000
    Savercard Christmas savings £10
    12/3/17 175lb - 15/3/17 173lb - 28/6/17 167lb - 14/7/17 164lb - 12/9/17 160lb - 29/12/17 155lb
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 7th Jul 08, 7:01 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Orkneystar-Tesco on its opening day will be hell. You won't beable to find anything you need,there will be crowds of people, if you don't need anything think of the money you'll save instead!!
    Go later in the week, there may even be some whoopsies by then...
    SFT
    Originally posted by savingfortravel
    Yes this is what I need to hear! I will re-read this post every time I feel the urge to go LOL.
    x
  • dink1
    its raining its pouring...
    Hi Guys,

NSD planned for today, am up early enough to pack myself up for work so should be nsd there too! Things going back to normal now MIL and FIL gone !!!! YAY!

Orkney star - You can do it, it will be anightmare at the new tesco!!!!!! there tried for you did that work?
    Floxie - welcome, feel free to ask any questions and let us know any tips/recipes you find on the way. AngelNikki has been taking care of us in Mrs M's absence (thanks angelnikki and prayers are with you Mrs M) you will need to put your amount for the month in red so that it can be added to the first page like the rest of us. I am sure you will get the hang of it.
    TQ16 - good to see you again hun, its nice to clean the cupboards, tiring whilst doing it but empowering dont you think?

Have a great GC day. DINK1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50
  • nessquic80
    Morning all,hope eveyone is ok!!
    Not been here for over a week, ive kept up with the post but couldnt be bothered with posting ........so im posting now. My total spends so far is£77.79, just got to top up today with the perishables. Gonna make nana cake today as the 3 nanas are very brown and i wouldnt want to throw them away now, would i? might get some cooking choc as well today and make those krispy things with mallows in them. Off to update siggy.see you soon#
    V
    always on the lookout for a bargin always better when its free!!

• Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 7th Jul 08, 7:56 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya all,
    What a yuccy day, pooring with rain here on the coast, my mum is coming down today, 1st time in ages and I've managed to get 4hrs off (oh heaven) and down comes the rain. So my 77yr old mummy will not be playing on the sand there's the temptation, she'll want to go to the shops instead, so wish me luck, I'm aiming for a NSD
    Good luck to all you nice peeps out there, have a good one
    HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • hev
    Okay, summary of the challenge for me so far...

I haven't stuck to my meal plan on one single day! Not once! And this week's is already out because my meal plans start on a Saturday (for shopping reasons) and OH couldn't face much except a fish finger sandwich on Sat and on Sunday instead of a roast we had rataouille because the veggies needed using up, because they hadn't been used up earlier in the week because, well, flippin heck.

So, today we should have Sunday's roast and the whole meal plan moves along one until Thursday which means I'll skip the stir fry because I didn't get the veggies I needed at the weekend because I felt like death on Saturday.

And...

Probably gone over budget anyway because OH went to Sainsburys for me and braved the crowds to get the nappies which were a third off which was really heroic as he HATES shopping and he isn't good at crowds. The cost of the nappies (last on shelves) will probably take me over the budget.

And I could do with a boatload of little bits and pieces, so if Sainsburys delivery covers the nappy offer then I may completely trash the budget, get the nappies plus the bits and bobs plus stock up. But stock up on what? I have loads of tins in the cupboard and I'm trying to run down the freezer to defrost it.

Of course, I could just see what the best offers are and stash the stuff under the bed or something...

Or I could just not buy...

Looking at the bank balance, not buying even if it is a bargain is looking good. Let's save 100% :rolleyes:
    Always another chapter

• gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 7th Jul 08, 8:01 AM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Probably gone over budget anyway because OH went to Sainsburys for me and braved the crowds to get the nappies which were a third off which was really heroic as he HATES shopping and he isn't good at crowds. The cost of the nappies (last on shelves) will probably take me over the budget.
    Originally posted by hev
    Was in Tesco yesterday and they had bogof on huggies pullups if that helps anyone. Not sure about the rest of the nappies, didnt look sorry.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,822Users online

Martin's Twitter