🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Four wheel alignment (Hunter system) - anyone had it done?

Options
stugib
stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
Background: just bought a 56 plate Citroen C2 which I've now noticed is pulling a little to the left and the steering wheel isn't exactly centred when driving in a straight line.

Looked around today and Nationwide Autocentres will do alignment for £31, but I also found a few places locally that are now using the Hunter system that will do four wheel alignment which they claim is much more reliable than basic tracking (and even give you a computerised printout on a USB stick, woohoo :rolleyes:). They claim it's better because rather than just adjust the front alignment they take camera readings and more measurements than standard tracking and adjust all four wheels plus reset the steering straight and reset it to the manufacturer's (i.e. car-specific) settings. All seems good but is £80.

Has anyone used one of these systems, and is it worth the extra? Is the £30 job just as likely to fix my problem?

p.s. tracking=alignment, right? Could balancing be a contributing factor too?

Comments

• Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    Not sure which system it was that they used, but I had mine laser aligned on all 4 wheels and it made a huge difference.

geometry%20check%20merc.jpg

Cost was around £90. Well worth it.
  • in2deep_2
    in2deep_2 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ^^WHS^^ laser alignment is well worth the money.
    'Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship'. -Benjamin Franklin.
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks both. Decided to go for middle option with a local place - doesn't seem as advanced as the Hunter system (Pew' - judging from your link that's the system you used) but it claims to do the same thing and is 4-wheel based, and is only £30.
  • banger9365
    banger9365 Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i get my cars lazer aligned at least twice a year,to keep the tyre wear even and every thing else
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

• Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    Options
    Do FWD cars need 4 wheel alignment? I didn't think you could adjust the rear wheel alignment
  • mr_accountant
    Options
    Keith wrote: »
    Do FWD cars need 4 wheel alignment? I didn't think you could adjust the rear wheel alignment

if you want a good job done then yes you do, even if rears are non adjustable.

a good website which is simple to understand is below

http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can't adjust the rears, but you can align the adjustable fronts with the rears.
    Having said that, steering wheel being off centre means very little, as long as the rack is centered.
    Happy chappy
  • mr_accountant
    Options
    I have my Citroen xantia done using a state of the art using a john bean machine which is similar to the hunter type. In essence the rears are measured then the steering wheel centered then the fronts adjusted. This should ensure that the steering is central and all tyres wear evenly. my previous post shows a good website.

On my car only front toe is adjustable but still a 4-wheel alignment is needed. Avoid the fast fits type outlets; they do not have the proper equipment despite what they say.

Find a tyre centre with either a hunter or john bean system, these are the best. I used a local centre and they charged £10 for the wheel alignment check and another £15 for the front toe adjustment, which is a fair price.
    remeber if the steering is not centered the job has not been corrected done (probably due to uneven track rod adjustments). you should also receive a pre-adjustemnt and post adjustmant print like the ones in the previous posts. there is no need to pay too much, £30 -£40 is the limit, only cars with rear wheel adjustment will be more.

I went to the following place http://tyresgalore.co.uk/alignment.htm
  • in2deep_2
    in2deep_2 Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of modern cars now are adjustable in all directions castor/camber/toein/toeout. On the front AND rear.

So yes get it checked.
    'Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship'. -Benjamin Franklin.
  • SAS0
    SAS0 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a basic small Ibiza.

I've paid £40 to do 4 wheels laser tracking at Kwik Fit in Newcastle ... was that too much ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport