Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Francophile
    • By Francophile 6th May 08, 11:23 AM
    • 745 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Francophile
    • 6th May 08, 11:23 AM
    • 6th May 08, 11:23 AM
    Yes I've done this and found like you that if it's a perishable product, it will more than likely have gone off before I get time to use it. Having gone thorugh all the same logic as yourself I decided that if I can't give the second item to someone to make use of, it is better not to take it as I hate having to throw good food away.
    Member #7 SKI-ers Club
    Norn Ireland Club Member 215
  • Dizie
    • 6th May 08, 11:25 AM
    YES! I do that all the time too! I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

The main culprit in this household is nectarines. I can't stand them, yet my hubby likes them. I can't bring myself to buy 2 punnets and see one go to waste - I can't stand throwing food away for environmental and social reasons so to buy something that I have no intention of eating is ridiculous!

I do our shopping online and our Tesco pickers seem to think that if something is BOGOF and you only order 1, you should get the free one anyway. Useful on occasion, embarrassing when trying to explain to the delivery man that you don't want the free one as he doesn't get it! So I just don't order any.

Feel very pleased that I'm not the only one suffering this affliction of walking away from a bargain!
    • Clariman
    • By Clariman 6th May 08, 11:25 AM
    • 1,452 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    Clariman
    Me too. I often don't buy a product for exactly the same reasons.
    Co-author/owner of the official stoozing website
    (site sponsored and supported by Martin Lewis & MSE)
    Creator of the SOA & Snowball calculators at MSOC
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 6th May 08, 12:19 PM
    • 9,140 Posts
    • 16,919 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 6th May 08, 12:19 PM
    • 6th May 08, 12:19 PM
    Why not get the extra one and give it away to friends, family or if you work take them in work and share them with your colleagues.

Then you know they are getting at least one of their 5 a day

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • GaryDouglas
    • 6th May 08, 1:08 PM
    • 6th May 08, 1:08 PM
    Im onto BOGOF satsumas at the moment, i think im turning orange as i manage to eat the two bags in a week while im at work!
    • Peppermint_Monkey
    • By Peppermint_Monkey 6th May 08, 3:05 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    Peppermint_Monkey
    • 6th May 08, 3:05 PM
    • 6th May 08, 3:05 PM
    A few weeks ago, Tesco had carrots on BOGOF, but my OH only picked up one packet, as he thought our guinea pig wouldn't each them all in time. I went back for the free one and made soup from them.

'Free' lunch all week!
    • Badger_Lady
    • By Badger_Lady 6th May 08, 3:12 PM
    • 6,291 Posts
    • 8,370 Thanks
    Badger_Lady
    • 6th May 08, 3:12 PM
    • 6th May 08, 3:12 PM
    Oh, yes - all the time. I'm in a constant dilemma about how much fruit and veg to buy, and I often frown at special offers saying, "but I don't want that much!", and I refuse to buy more than I can eat whatever the price.

I also had a similar reaction to a cooking utensil that a promorions lady was demonstrating in Tesco. She said: "You get not one but two of these utensils, plus all these free gifts, for just Ł20!".

My reply: "But I don't want two, and I don't want all the free gifts. Can't I just have one for Ł10?". Of course, I didn't buy any at all but just walked away...
    Mortgage | Ł132,000
    Unsecured Debt | Ł7,000 Ł0
    Lodgers | |

• bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 6th May 08, 3:36 PM
    • 1,675 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    • 6th May 08, 3:36 PM
    • 6th May 08, 3:36 PM
    Im onto BOGOF satsumas at the moment, i think im turning orange as i manage to eat the two bags in a week while im at work!
    I'm with Gary on this one, I get through loads of them, is too much Vitamin C dangerous I wonder :rolleyes:
    I keep them in the fridge, just 'cos I like them chilled, seem to stay juicy for quite a while in there
    + so much better than Oranges, gave up on them years ago, could never get a juicy one compared to Sats or Mands
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 6th May 08, 5:21 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    OK I have a confession to make... I think my blogs innaccurate - having read the above I believe it was satsumas not tangerines.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • celyn90
    • By celyn90 6th May 08, 7:08 PM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 15,221 Thanks
    celyn90
    I must admit I will buy them on BOGOF if I'm going to buy them already as I can normally find a use for them even if I won't eat them - even if that is making orange cake, orange shortbread, juicing or taking them to work and distributing them. Saying that, oranges don't last five seconds in our house so I'd be glad if they were on offer more often
    beware of geeks bearing .gifs...

Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree
  • blue_monkey
    Put them in the fridge - all of my satsumas, oranges, pears, plums and apples easily last 4-6 weeks in there!!
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 6th May 08, 7:26 PM
    • 9,140 Posts
    • 16,919 Thanks
    calleyw
    OK I have a confession to make... I think my blogs innaccurate - having read the above I believe it was satsumas not tangerines.
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    Blinking heck Martin got something wrong

Never going to trust another word that comes out of his mouth again

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Dizie
    Why not get the extra one and give it away to friends, family or if you work take them in work and share them with your colleagues.

Then you know they are getting at least one of their 5 a day
    Originally posted by calleyw
    Loving the idea of taking them into work to health up your colleagues! Martin, you should take the free pack onto It Pays to Watch and give them to Ruth, instead of the chocolate and cake you keep feeding her..!
  • ajmcc
    I noticed my wife had bought the BOGOF on satsumas today.
    2 x 8 packs for Ł1.99

Loose satsumas are Ł1.99/kg.
    After weighing the prepacked ones I worked out that you could get 13 satsumas for Ł1.99 if you bought them loose.

So if you don't think you'd get through the 2 packs before the go off (only 4 days life on the ones we got) better buying loose. Plus you can make sure you pick the best quality ones.

I'm always sceptical about fruit and veg BOGOF and half price offers because as things come into season the wholesale prices drop but the supermarkets con us into thinking we are getting a bargain. :rolleyes:
  • kathygale
    God yeah - I do this too! It makes me so mad on two counts - more often than not I don't buy because I'd end up binning stuff (I've stopped myself from buying two on the 'buy two for Ł3' etc as the saving of 30p or whatever is cancelled out by the throwing away of part of the second item) but also because I know that some poor supplier somewhere is being screwed on price to enable them to put that offer on. Make the standard retail two thirds of the price.. that way EVERYONE wins (apart from people with big families who can use two bags of whatever.. sorry!)
    • Fuchsia_a
    • By Fuchsia_a 6th May 08, 11:25 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    Fuchsia_a
    Our local asian supermarket usually sells cucumbers at 3 for £1, and the only alternative locally is to get one for about 70p at the chain supermarket, which just seems silly given that the ones from the asian store have far more flavour and come in interesting shapes. However, I'm the only person in the house who eats cucumber, so it's hard getting through all of it! Usually I get the BOGOF (or similar offer), go on a binge of whatever fruit/vegetable it is and then go without for a few months until I can stand the sight of them again, or with fruit I often stick some of it in the fridge or freezer.

I think they deliberately want to sell us more than we can eat because that way they're always selling us as much as they think they can get away with.
    • SomethingWitty
    • By SomethingWitty 7th May 08, 10:49 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    SomethingWitty
    YES! I've often thought this when in Sainsbury's.

The solution i came to was to shove one pack in a blender with some orange juice and wahey! instant fruit juice/smoothie thing. i then bottle it and it keeps in the fridge for two or three days, a perfect lunchtime drink.
    • Badger_Lady
    • By Badger_Lady 7th May 08, 11:11 AM
    • 6,291 Posts
    • 8,370 Thanks
    Badger_Lady
    ^ Nice one! I've started buying Clementine Juice in boxes but somehow it never occured to me I could make my own
    Mortgage | Ł132,000
    Unsecured Debt | Ł7,000 Ł0
    Lodgers | |

• queenofbargains
    Boxes!!!!
    Two solutions!

1. You should have a work fruit box/bowl (the in thing these days you know!!)

2. Put them in something that keeps them fresh for ages ie: Debbie Meyers green bags or boxes (the boxes are the best IMHO), or "Lock and Lock" storage boxes.

The second option I use all the time. Look for veg and salads that are reduced to like 5p - 20p in particular. Buy as many as you can store in the said boxes, and they will last for another 2 weeks (sometimes longer, sometimes a bit less). Fresh items will last for weeks and months - seriously! (Make sure you wipe any moisture from the boxes and lids each time you use them to last longer)

My life (and budget!) has been revolutionised by these boxes, and, there is no wastage or manky bits of things left in the fridge any more!

Before you ask - no I do NOT have any vested interest, financial or otherwise, in the said products. I am just someone who HATES throwing food away - especially when it is rotten!

I find the cheapest way to purchase them is via QVC as they are usually sold in all sorts of sets and MUCH cheaper than the shops.

Hope this helps you Martin and other MSE ers!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,557Posts Today

6,792Users online

Martin's Twitter