Most reliable car.

lauren_1
lauren_1 Posts: 2,067 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
I want your veiw on reliable cars from 1985 to 2000!

Clearly i dont care about looks, i just want a cheap, practical, spacious and reliable banger

Comments

• iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Anything Japanese - they consistently come top of independent surveys. Toyota are supposed to be the most reliable cars, though I've never owned one so can't speak from personal experience.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • german or japanese.
    japanese will be cheaper to fix than german if it does go wrong though.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Nissan's run forever, you just can't kill them.

I've also had a fantastic Honda, and I'm now on my second Mazda. Japanese is the way to go IMHO.

HTH
    Saving a house deposit. Member no.7 100% of target :D

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Skoda Favorit and the Felicia which is the newer version of the Favorit. Felicia can be had for next to nothing so mayaswell go for one of those. 1.3 mpi will be slightly more frugal I think. Parts are cheap, they're spacious, estate has massive boot and rear seats easily remove if required. There's also some great Skoda forums around with very kind people posting (excluding me of course ;)). You can even pick up low mileage great condition examples if you spend your time searching.

Tried to give an account of my car here in this Bangernomics forum http://bangernomics.editboard.com/what-is-bangernomics-f1/my-skoda-favorit-s-first-year-t36.htm

https://www.briskoda.net for a good skoda forum :)
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    MK1 or 2 Mondeos as well.
  • balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I somewhat agree with the coments about Japanese cars. The range of years given is pretty wide, and I have to agree that in the 80s and early 90s, Japanese was the way but since the early 90s, most Euro manufacturers have got better. If looking at a post 95 car, as well as the Japanese cars, the German cars are good, Fords are pretty relaible too.

On the opposite note, since Nissan joined forces with Renault, their relability had dropped so the balance is swinging. 2 years ago, Which? magazine voted Ford as the most reliable manufacturer.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • zeon999
    zeon999 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Hate to be boring and go with the majority but its true, if you want reliability then Jap cars are the answer.

Toyota, Mazda, Honda or Nissan and you will be way better off compared to other manufacturers.

German cars as mentioned have got to come in the next catagory for reliability VW and BMW genrally are great although BMW when they do go wrong are very expensive so that kinda counters the fact they are pretty reliable though.
  • Yep, i'd agree with the general view that Japanese cars are reliable even those made elsewhere. Toyo carina or corolla probably 2 of the best, if you want bigger camry...bombproof.

But, parts can be expensive, not brake pads and such like, but things like headlights, electric motors that sort of thing.

Don't rule out Korean cars, hyundai make very good cars and you have the bonus of being very cheap to buy because 'nike trainer' and 'next' people wouldn't want the badge.

IMO, one of the best cars ever made though for being simple and reliable is the good old peugeot 405 diesel, these will easily cover 2 to 4 hundred thousand miles with a little good maintenance, and very cheap now.
  • Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Subaru Forester or Legacy (non-turbo). Hard as nails.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    For the years quoted, any Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Mazda that has been cared for will serve you well.

Newer Nissans are not so good since they got tied up with Renault ( pass me a bucket ).;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure