Back to work grant

Options
When I went back to work in June after 17 years as a carer and 1 as "unemployed" I had to sort out the wrangle between the tax office and the DWP as to who was responsible for sorting out my tax.

Anyway this resulted in an hours wait at a DWP benefits office along with the drunks and druggies demanding their Giro's at the top of their voice it did how ever as it seems turn out to be an hour well spent.

After a conversation with the clerk behind the bullet proof screen she said she thought that I may be entitled to £100 for going back to work after having been out of work so long. She was not sure on the details but told me to claim it anyway she wrote it on a bit of paper I signed it handed it back thought no more about it.

This morning a cheque (sorry Giro) for £100 arrives in the post. Only 3 pay days later than the one I went into the DWP office about the tax! (I am paid every 4 weeks)

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/cms.asp?Page=/Home/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/1038

for details of the Job Grant (which is apparently new and improved from the 25th of October 2004)
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Back to Work Bonus

Might be relevant for others attracted to this thread.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Random
    Random Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    Might seem a bit cheeky :-[ but does anyone know if you can get your Back To Work Bonus off the old scheme and claim the Job Grant on the new one?
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Might seem a bit cheeky  :-[ but does anyone know if you can get your Back To Work Bonus off the old scheme and claim the Job Grant on the new one?

I see no reason why not.... My way of tackling these things is say apply and let someone else sort out what you are entitled too.
  • marvin
    Options
    Back to Work Bonus

Might be relevant for others attracted to this thread.

This scheme is now ended and you have but a short time to claim any bonus you built up before October this year.
  • dag_2
    dag_2 Posts: 793 Forumite
    Options
    After a conversation with the clerk behind the bullet proof screen she said she thought that I may be entitled to £100 for going back to work after having been out of work so long. She was not sure on the details but told me to claim it anyway she wrote it on a bit of paper I signed it handed it back thought no more about it.
    Ah - there isn't a "back to work grant" - there used to be a "back to work bonus", but this was scrapped, and "job grant" has been brought in to replace it.

Except - officially, it hasn't. The "Job Grant" is a payment covered by the 1973 Employment and Training Act - there is no new legislation to cover it. In other words: although they say you will get £100 if you start a new job after being out of work for 26 weeks, you have no legally enforceable right to receive it. It is totally discretionary, and there is no appeal if they refuse to pay it.

Therefore, contrary to what others have said in this thread, it is very unilkely that you will receive both a "back to work bonus" and a "job grant" in relation to the same period of unemployment.

There's no separate form or other way of applying for job grant - if they think you're entitled to it, they will pay it anyway.

The effect of the 1973 act is that although you're not guaranteed to receive the job grant - but if you do receive it, you will not have to pay income tax, capital gains tax or national insurance on it, and it will be considered to be a capital payment for housing benefit and council tax benefit purposes.

If you feel they have refused to pay it to you on the grounds that you're black, then there's no legal redress. Your best bet is to organise a street demo.
    :p
  • Random
    Random Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    I've been told you can get both, I've already had the Job Grant, and apparently the bonus application form will be sent off as soon as my tax credits come through. Maybe it just depends on how nice your advisor is, and if you are cheeky enough to ask. :) The Job Grant seems to be officially replacing the benefit run on rather than/as well as the bonus.
  • dag_2
    Options
    Maybe it just depends on how nice your advisor is, and if you are cheeky enough to ask.
    Basically yeah - my point is, don't bank on actually getting it. There isn't an official claim form for it, but you're probably more likely to get it if you ask someone.
  • dag_2
    Options
    Basically yeah - my point is, don't bank on actually getting it.
    What I really mean is - I'd advise against trying to postpone the start date of your new job. It's a gamble - you might get it, but then again you might lose out.
  • marvin
    Options
    Ah - there isn't a "back to work grant" - there used to be a "back to work bonus", but this was scrapped, and "job grant" has been brought in to replace it.

That is not correct the Bonus has been scrapped and the Job Grant has been changed. (It may have been brought in early to replace the bonus on this I have no idea)

I was not entitled to a bonus but was entitled to the grant.

This was before the change on October 24th 2004. Its not new it's old and there is an entitlement to something until its removed, be this by statute or by other means. (Some need an act of parliament some don't depends on if it has beens et-up by statute or not.)

People going back to work may also be entitled to CTB and HB run on payments (4 weeks of extra CTB and HB after you start work)
  • beanzy_2
    Options
    Just to advise single parents on income support, if you have been on IS continuously for one year and start work 16 hours or over per week, you get £250 instant payment, housing benefit and council tax extension for one month (which you must apply for separately) and £40 pw for a year to keep you going. This is not supposed to be taken into account when calculating other entitlements. You can also apply for reduced rate travel for 3 months. To find out more or apply contact your lone parent advisor at your jobcentre. To be eligible, you will have to come off income support, and apply for working tax credit. Usual childcare eligibility rates apply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure