PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Simple cheap Main Meal Recipes?

Options
Hi

I'm male and a complete novice at cooking. I can make toast, Cook a chicken etc very very basic.

Any suggestions for SIMPLE healthy cheap meals. I don't eat fish so thats out.

I look forward to getting your ideas. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Hey southpaw!! Check out the mega index up at the top there and there are hundred of ideas in there!!!

I'm going to have a mosy and get some particular links that I think may help you.

Here is a "need old style help" thread

Here is an evening meal planner

Some recipes here

And this is the recipe board thread!!

Should keep you going for a bit!!:p
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Southpaw,

Here are another couple of links that might help:

Cheapest meal

Feed 6 for £1.62

low cost meals

Pink
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Spaghetti Bolognese is a good basic meal. It freezes well, so you can make double and have a meal for another time. Serve with spaghetti to be traditional, or with a jacket potato for a change.

This is a nice Spag Bol recipe which shows you the main ingredients and also lists optional 'tasty extras' I don't know the original source as I have it scrawled in paper from many years ago....

Spag Bol (serves 2-3)

Ingredients
    400g mince
    1 onion
    1 red pepper
    1-2 garlic cloves
    Bolognese sauce/Ragu/tinned tomatoes and tomato puree
    Pasta – penne or spaghetti (as much as you want)

Tasty Extras
    Paprika
    Soy Sauce/Lee and Perrins
    Red Wine
    Coriander
    Basil
    Feta Cheese
    Fresh/dried parmesan

Method
    1. Brown the mince on quite a low heat. You won’t need any oil as the meat will give off quite a bit of liquid to keep the pan moist.
    2. While this is happening, chop up your onions, peppers and garlic and add to the mince when browned.
    3. Leave this to cook away until the veg is to your own preference (best if the onions are soft but the peppers have a crisp to them)
    4. If you are adding any of the Tasty Extras (other than the cheese), do so now. You won’t need much of the herbs and spices to provide a little kick, and the red wine/soy sauce/Lee and Perrins will just add more flavour.
    5. Bring a pan of water to the boil, add salt, and then add your pasta (cooking times will vary with different varieties so check the packet)
    6. Add the tomato-based sauce to the first pan and turn the heat down low. Simmer your delicious concoction until the pasta is ready.
    7. Drain the pasta and serve onto a dish, serve the Bolognese on top
    8. If you are using the feta or parmesan from the Tasty Extras, chop up small pieces or shave onto the top.

9. EAT!!!
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    An even simpler pasta dish is chili pasta.

Boil some spaghetti, drain and set aside. Crush 2 cloves garlic and finely chop 1 small red chilli. Saute both, very gently in 2 tablespoons olive oil for 2 mins. Add pasta and swirl around until it is nicely coated.

Serve with salad and crusty bread... and a glass of red wine!
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    We tend to have meals like:

Roast dinners and stretch the meat to another meal
    Toad In Hole, Mash and veg
    HM Curry & Rice-cook extra and freeze extra portions
    Spagbol-again freeze extra portions
    HM Pie, Spuds and veg-freeze extra(use leftover meat from roast if poss)
    Bangers & Mash
    Stews in SC (use up all veggies in fridge and anything else..lol)
    Chilli & Rice-freeze extra
    Shepards Pie(stick tin of beans in to stretch)-freeze extra
    HM Fishpie-freeze extra
    Egg & Chips
    Chicken crumble-use leftovers from roast if poss
    Baked spuds with left over curry/chilli
    Bubble & Squeak (use left over veg and mash)
    Breaded Fish, mash and veg
    Cheese/onion/potatoe pie & veg
    Lasagna-freeze extra

Tend to buy all our meat and fish from Asda/Tesco/Sainsburys when they are reduced and have a huge freezer so can take big advantage of this. Normally meat is organic/free range or the best range meat. Always buy the best bread for about 15p a loaf and grab 10 loaves.

We spend about £30pw on all our food/groceries etc and we eat very well. We are at home 24/7 (OH & I), DD has a packed lunch and we mostly have hot lunches of baked spuds, soups, beans on toast etc or a sarnie/roll. Dont have puddings as such but always have fresh fruit, yogurts and ice cream if anyone wants anything.

HTH

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you can cook a whole chicken, then have the leftovers cold with fried potatoes, or mixed in with some cooked pasta & veg & topped with cheese & grill for a pasta bake, or coronation chicken on a jacket spud by mixing a bit of curry powder with mayonnaise for a cornation sauce & dump chicken chunks in it then on top of the spud...........ah, rubber chicken.............an Old Style friend in times of need:D
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure