PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheap/friendly cleaning products

Options
Smell of wee in babys room

No matter how much I clean my babys bedroom, empty his bin/ change his bedding there is a strong smell of wee. Any tips? Would it be safe to wash down his cot and mattress with a vinegar solution? What can i use to deodorise his carpet? Any tips would be most useful!! Thanks

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bicarbonate of soda sprinkled into the carpet like you would use Shake and Vac will deoderise the smell in the carpet. You can buy it in bulk which is cheaper than buying little boxes from the chemist.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bicarbonate of soda link 1, link 2.

Thanks Vanoonoo for the links :beer:
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If bicarb doesn't work, try Neutrodol powder. You sprinkle that on the carpet, leave it a while then hoover up. It worked a treat on dog wee.

You can also buy a solid Neutrodol air freshener in a little plastic pot. Leaving one of them in the room would help too.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I agree neutradol products are great and don't have any flowery/sickly smell either
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is that the little white pots like a candle? If it is, yes I can agree with that one ;)
  • BrokeBrokeBroke
    Options
    Is Neutradol safe in baby's room? That's what is concerning me- I've only used disinfectant in there and normally wet-dust and hoover, that's all. I wasn't too struck on the idea of chemical cleaners in there. I haven't found the bicarbonate of soda yet. What would be a safe alternative to disinfectant on his cot. Tea tree or something like that?
    Thanks for all the help!
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why does it smell so much of wee? Do his nappies leak? You mentioned a bin, i would get rid of the bin altogether. I wouldn't keep a bin in a babys room. If I used disposables I would put them straight into the wheelie bin outside. Change babys nappies in the bathroom, this may help. You wouldnt go to the loo then go through to your bedroom to wipe your bum! (i hope...)
    Have the window open in the mornings to air the room.
    Do the laundry with a bit of white vinegar in, gets rid of pongs.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't found the bicarbonate of soda yet.

Bicarbonate of soda can be bought from any supermarket. It is in the cake making isle with the icing sugar etc. in a round pot made by supercook and looks like THIS.
    I haven't been able to find it in big quantities yet but this will at least get you started. 200g from Somerfields is 49p.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • carpool72
    carpool72 Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    I like using baby olbas oil for cleaning - has eucalyptus & orange oil which both have disinfectant properties, and won't do baby any harm when diluted - I just put a couple of drops on a damp cloth & off i go. btw i change dd's nappy in her room, but get rid of the stinky nappy pronto & it seems to smell ok.
    £2 savers club - £62

Relaunched grocery challenge:

March target: £150 on food, £50 on other stuff - still not doing very well at keeping track...:o

:hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport