PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheap oldstyle alternative to easter eggs

Inspired by a visit to the local market, I am not going to get my kids easter eggs. I am going to the stall where you can get stuff like 10 aeros for £1 and 5 big bags of jelly sweets for £1, getting a little selection of stuff and making them easter boxes/baskets. I will make it look like a nest using the paper from my shredder. I will also decorate some eggs with the help of the kids. You can make a lovely marbled effect by boiling them in water with onion skins. The natural colour in the onion skins dyes the eggs.My dad used to make me a sweetie tree, with twigs stuck into a jam jar lid with holes in, and sweets tied onto the 'branches'. So much more special and thoughtful than a mass produced tacky easter egg.
Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
I have done reading too!
To avoid all evil, to do good,
to purify the mind- that is the
teaching of the Buddhas.

Comments

• jennyjo_2
    jennyjo_2 Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    Inspired by a visit to the local market, I am not going to get my kids easter eggs. I am going to the stall where you can get stuff like 10 aeros for £1 and 5 big bags of jelly sweets for £1, getting a little selection of stuff and making them easter boxes/baskets. I will make it look like a nest using the paper from my shredder. I will also decorate some eggs with the help of the kids. You can make a lovely marbled effect by boiling them in water with onion skins. The natural colour in the onion skins dyes the eggs.My dad used to make me a sweetie tree, with twigs stuck into a jam jar lid with holes in, and sweets tied onto the 'branches'. So much more special and thoughtful than a mass produced tacky easter egg.

my dad worked 12hrs a day to keep me and my 3 brothers on his own, he wouldn't have had time/energy to make easter trees but he always made sure we had easter eggs on easter sunday, mass-produced and tacky you may think them, but it doesn't make him any less special or thoughtful than you are :mad:

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me ;)
  • tillytot_2
    tillytot_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    i'm sure sarahsaver wasn't implying that anyone who buys easter eggs isn't unthoughtful at all.

not everyone has the time to do these things, but its a lovely idea, especially when you look how much actual chocolate you get for your money with easter eggs these days.
    Waddle you do eh?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I had a go at making my own eggs once using moulds....Complete and utter disaster!!! I got more chocolate on myself than in the mould and the chocolate in the mould broke as i got it out. I couldnt be bothered to do it all again so we ate what there was and i bought easter eggs. I fancy doing some easter nests though this year. Even i can manage that, and i can buy the mini eggs.:D
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    How funny, I'd included getting molds to make my own EE's this year in my now and then thread for this week - interesting to read your experience Judi, if mine should fail miserably, I shall utilise Sarahsavers lovely ideas :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    OH my word!
    I am having one of those days today. I keep offending people unintentionally!

Please do not take offence.

My dad worked approx 7am to 7pm 6 days a week.

And anyhow it takes less time for me to grab some paper out of the shredder to make a nest than it does to go down to woolies and fight my way through the crowds.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    And anyhow it takes less time for me to grab some paper out of the shredder to make a nest than it does to go down to woolies and fight my way through the crowds.

Doesnt take any effort on my part, i just include them with the weekly shop.:D
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Judi wrote:
    Doesnt take any effort on my part, i just include them with the weekly shop.:D

lol I like your style judi ;)

I havent had or bought easter eggs for years that I can remember but I am convinced that easter egg chocolate tastes different to "other" chocolate.

creme eggs are definitely smaller though ;)
    Blah
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Oh my daughter would certainly agree with you Vanoonoo, the chocolate definately tastes different. (and I agree too, because I still love having an Easter Egg ;) )

So, I'll be looking out for a BOGOF that we both like and my daughter will be messing about with her own decorating boiled eggs for rolling. Last year she also made a load of little chicks from ready made icing that she coloured yellow and won a price at her Home Ec class for making her own decorations for her Easter Cake :)
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Well done to anyone trying to make their own Easter Eggs. I once watched a Master Baker struggle for hours to make an Easter Egg..........when I saw how difficult it was, I never attempted it myself.

When we were little, my brother and I used to get a big bar of chocolate each instead of an Easter Egg because it was better value and tasted better than the chocolate used for Easter Eggs.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I spent 3 years having to make easter eggs as my son was mistakenly diagnosed as lactose intolerant. It's not easy and takes some practice. I ate a lot of Carob chocolate before I got it right :(

I must admit though that I do look at the eggs and wonder what exactly I am paying £2 a time for.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family