PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

dishwasher tip

Dishwasher - waste of time? Before buying a dishwaser, or any other 'labour-saving' device ask a question. Will this actually save me time? In a small household the amount of time taken to expertly load and unload a Dishwasher you could have just washed up by hand. By doing so you would have saved water and energy. A Dishwasher uses at least 3 times the water of hand washing. In a household the children could be paid pocket money to do the washing up - still cheaper than a dishwasher!

Comments

• cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I know, but where would we stash the dirty dishes if someone is coming round and your trying to look organised?

I love the dishwasher the way it gets everything shining and clean, much better than the handwashing

I dont use it all the time about 2 or 3 times a week to give the dishes a boost.
  • My tip is if you want a dishwasher, get a good make.

In our last house we bought a Bosch and sold it to the buyers as we were moving to a house with a built in one. I never realised how crap some makes can be,
    (i.e. the one we moved to was!) a totally false economy.

Buy a good make, and it will last and wash everything well first time.

Do a search on here for the cheapest make.

I personally have to swear by having a dishwasher, we would have to buy paper plates otherwise!
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    we call ours "dishy" and hes a highly valued member of the family

hes 9 now and never seen a dishwasher tablet or powder fit as a flea and still going strong
  • alison6692
    alison6692 Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    We have got a new dishwasher - and its the best thing ever!!!! ;D I have fallen in love with it. How did I live without it. Its absolutely fab. I don't bother with rinsaid. I am just using cheapie co-op tablets (BOGOF),and am using the rapid cycle and my dishes are lovely and sparkly.

;D ... and my work tops are clear of dishes.
    :heart2:Mum to my little Daisy 3 and Archie 1.:heart2:
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My tip is if you want a dishwasher, get a good make.

I'd agree. We bought a Smeg 'triple A' rated one last time around & it is fantastic, much better than my old crappy Indesit ? one.

It goes on every other day, cos there's only 2 of us. I use half a dishwasher tablet each time.
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I use a teaspoon of soap powder always have ;D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Do you use biological or non-biological powder, Cathy?
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I only buy bio-so I suppose its that, dont think it would matter though really unless you were soaking them first then the bio would be best
  • Using soap powder makes perfect sense - now you've pointed it out. For years I've used soap powder to clean stains off teaspoons and mugs and to soak burnt scrambled egg saucepans but I never thought to add it to my dishwasher. Iv'e read in loads of these posts about the vinegar too - I'm gonna try it tomorrow instead of using my Finish coupon!!!

I think I'm going to be more hooked on this site than looking for my freebies and coupons. Just reading some of the suggestions has already saved me £££££££'s

Thanks
  • mattb_3
    mattb_3 Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My tip is if you want a dishwasher, get a good make.

In our last house we bought a Bosch and sold it to the buyers as we were moving to a house with a built in one.  I never realised how crap some makes can be,
    (i.e. the one we moved to was!) a totally false economy.

Buy a good make, and it will last and wash everything well first time.

Do a search on here for the cheapest make.

I personally have to swear by having a dishwasher, we would have to buy paper plates otherwise!

This is exactly what happened to us! We went from a new Bosch to and old rubbish Hotpoint.

Despite that, I really appreciate my dishwasher when I go to my mother-in-laws and have to do washing up. Not just the extra effort, but loads of things are really hard to get clean by hand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure