Cheapest Hayfever Medications 2009 article discussion: report deals here

Options
articlealert.gif

This discussion links on the back of the fully updated Hayfever article. Please read the article before posting.
If you've spotted any top deals, post 'em below and I'll add them in to the article. You can also read the 2008 discussion here. Thanks :)

Comments

• squidworth
    squidworth Posts: 170 Forumite
    edited 29 April 2009 at 9:25AM
    Options
    Lloydspharmacy Allergy Reliever and Ionising Air Purifier Bundle is £21.99 (+£3.95 P&P) at the moment

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=90&catalogId=1008&productId=300005
  • Neo08
    Neo08 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our local Primary Care Trust (PCT) run a minor ailments scheme with the most of the pharmacies in our area. If you are except from prescription charges you can get hayfever product over the counter free of charge without the need for a doctors prescription.

Basically what happens is that the pharmacist will write the prescription, eliminating the need for a trip to the doctor. All we give the pharmacist is our NHS number (not National Insurance number) which your doctors surgery will usually give you over the phone, describe the symptons and then fill in a declaration to say your exempt from charges and he/she will prescribe the best thing. You can't go in an ask for a particular product, you must describe what's wrong with you.

Product that are available on our scheme are:

Loratidine packs of 7 and 30's & syrup
    Cetrizine packs of 7 and 30's
    Chlorphenamine packs of 28's & syrup

There is loads of other stuff available on the minor ailments scheme too, from stuff for verrucae's, acne and headlice to pain relief, teething and haemorrhoids!

Well worth checking out to see if your local PCT takes part in such a scheme
  • ThriftyLawyer
    Options
    Has anyone used chemistdirect.co.uk before? I have heard that online medicine sites can often be a front for identity theft, as well as useless/dangerous medicine.

Does anybody know about chemistdirect?

Thanks in advance!
  • Jennifer_Jane
    Jennifer_Jane Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Neo08 wrote: »
    Our local Primary Care Trust (PCT) run a minor ailments scheme with the most of the pharmacies in our area. If you are except from prescription charges you can get hayfever product over the counter free of charge without the need for a doctors prescription.

Basically what happens is that the pharmacist will write the prescription, eliminating the need for a trip to the doctor. All we give the pharmacist is our NHS number (not National Insurance number) which your doctors surgery will usually give you over the phone, describe the symptons and then fill in a declaration to say your exempt from charges and he/she will prescribe the best thing. You can't go in an ask for a particular product, you must describe what's wrong with you.

Product that are available on our scheme are:

Loratidine packs of 7 and 30's & syrup
    Cetrizine packs of 7 and 30's
    Chlorphenamine packs of 28's & syrup

There is loads of other stuff available on the minor ailments scheme too, from stuff for verrucae's, acne and headlice to pain relief, teething and haemorrhoids!

Well worth checking out to see if your local PCT takes part in such a scheme

Thanks so much for this info. Is there any way I can check my local area to see if we have a participating chemist locally, please?

Have googled Primary Care Trust, but it's not really meant for the public, I don't think.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Jen
    x
  • Neo08
    Neo08 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks so much for this info. Is there any way I can check my local area to see if we have a participating chemist locally, please?

Have googled Primary Care Trust, but it's not really meant for the public, I don't think.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Jen
    x

probably the easiest way is to either call your local pct (find it at http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/Pages/PrimaryCareTrustListing.aspx) or call your local pharmacy (although your pct may offer a minor ailments service, not all pharmacies in the area will). Ours is a Boots pharmacy that runs the service so it may be an idea to call one of them if you have one local.

According to the nhs website (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Pharmacy/Pages/Commonconditions.aspx), it is up to the local pct as to whether they provide this service, so it may not be available everywhere.

HTH
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 29 April 2009 at 2:02PM
    Options
    Has anyone used chemistdirect.co.uk before? I have heard that online medicine sites can often be a front for identity theft, as well as useless/dangerous medicine.

Does anybody know about chemistdirect?

Thanks in advance!

As it happens, there is a whole thread on this board dedicated to chemistdirect, see here. You can judge for yourself of course, but it seems that a lot of people have had bad experiences with them. Maybe they've sharpened there act up more recently, but I have to say I'd be wary of using them, even if on price their hayfever tablets are the cheapest. I tend to make purchasing decisions based on customer service as well as price... so I'll probably take my hayfever tablet business elsewhere for the time being, but that's just my opinion:)

Sazzy x
    4 May 2010 <3
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Well the nasal spray (beconase) is cheaper at Morrisons than with postage on Chemist Direct so I'll be going there.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • gaznkaz08
    gaznkaz08 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    all hayfever remedies mentioned on here aren't actually cures as stated on the site, they basically supress the symptoms

you need to try and push for a drug called Grazax (google it)

this actually contains grass pollen and after a few courses of a varied timeframe ( depending on the individual) it can build up an immunity to the pollens that cause hayfever and can eventually cure in many cases

i know as i make the stuff
  • zitamcd
    Options
    Hi, Just used Chemist Direct. I ordered on Wednesday morning and the tablets arrived by recorded mail today (Thursday). I bought a six month supply and paid a grand total of £4.63. the P&P was £2.95 and the tablets £1.68. Can't fault the service and I used Rapport to make sure my Credit Card details were protected on the site. I usually have to pay between £3.95 and £5.95 per pack. Works for me.
  • jkmum
    jkmum Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Used them last year - no problems to report. Just ordered again for this year's supply: went through Greasypalm for 3.75% cashback plus used code summer1 for 7.5% off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure