IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

VCS Airport Court Claim

Options
Risk_
Risk_ Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 17 August 2018 at 9:28PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi there!

I recently received a County Court Claim form from VCS for an airport 'no stopping' 'offence' at Robin Hood Airport.

On the day in question the vehicle was stopped just off a roundabout on a closed road to drop off 2 passengers (this road being the entrance to the car park with the driver not knowing any other way into the car park), when a lurking CCTV van pulled up behind and silently recorded some pictures.

I believe i've read and understood the newbies thread and have taken these steps:
Appealed to PPC (rejected ofcourse)
Replied to woefully vague LBC on time (causing VCS to send a 2nd one)
Submitted AoS as instructed by newbies thread after receipt of claim

Now, i've been a little unorganised and the defence is due in this Monday(20/08/2018)! I understand its cutting it a little fine but any help from any of the good folks here would be greatly appreciated.

Claim Form:
imgur.com/a/RcUQZk3

LBC (2nd attempt) Part1:
imgur.com/a/pvSsVVK

LBC (2nd attempt) Part2:
imgur.com/a/FnFQCiE

Comments

• Risk_
    edited 17 August 2018 at 7:29PM
    Options
    Draft Defence:

Claim Number: ***

BETWEEN:
    Vehicle Control Services Ltd
    Claimant
    vs

Defendant

Defence

1. It is admitted that the Defendant was the driver on the material date.

2. The Defendant denies entering into any contract with the Claimant.

2.1. The claim is denied in its entirety except where explicitly admitted here. The Defendant asserts that they have no liability to the Claimant for the sum claimed, or any amount at all.

No agreement of terms/no contract

3. The Claimant is pursuing the Defendant for a breach of contract, however not at any point in material time was any contract agreed.

3.1. If the signage is attempting to make a contractual offer, then as it is forbidding it does not fulfil the basic requirement of a contract, which is that each party to the contract must offer valuable consideration to the other party, on clear terms capable of acceptance. In this case neither the Claimant, nor their principal the landowner, is offering anything to the defendant. The notices cannot, therefore, reasonably be construed as having created a contractual relationship between the Claimant and the Defendant.
    The aforementioned point was recently tested in the County Court at High Wycombe, in the case of Parking Control Management (UK) Ltd v Bull & 2 Others (B4GF26K6, 21 April 2016), where District Judge Glen dismissed all three claims on these grounds.
    3.2. Furthermore, signage is inadequate and thus incapable of binding the driver:
    3.2a. The signage is unlit at this location and is are hidden by other, far larger and more prominent 'welcome' and directional signs/flags/banners just off a busy roundabout.
    3.2b. The font size is too small and the words too many.

3.3 These inadequacies in signage render any motorist attempting to safely travel through the site at 30mph, whilst navigating traffic and traversing roundabouts, wholly incapable of even reading/understanding any alleged terms offered by said signage. It then follows that the formation of any contract based upon these terms is impossible. It is an ironic fact that the only way any sign could be read, would be to stop.

3.4. The Claimant is put to strict proof at the time of the alleged event they had both advertisement consent and the permission from the site owner to display the signs.

ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis[2015] UKSC 67 is distinguished

4. This predatory 'charge' is a penalty and an unfair consumer term, given the circumstances and facts of this case. ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 (the Beavis case) is the leading authority and the Supreme Court judgment makes it clear that charges cannot exist merely to penalise a driver.

4.1. It was stated that the penalty rule was 'engaged' in all private parking ticket cases and that what would be required in every case, would be to consider all of the facts to decide whether a specific charge is unconscionable, excessive or unjustified.

4.2. The Beavis case was said at the Court of Appeal stage to be 'completely different' and the Supreme Court agreed, uniquely disengaging the penalty rule after considering the rare facts at that retail park, the parking licence terms offered and the clarity and prominence of simply worded, large font and plentiful signs. In Beavis, there was a meeting of minds; a licence to park was offered and accepted by Mr Beavis by performance (the act of parking in a well-signed location where the retail parking spaces had value) and this saved the £85 charge in that unique case alone, from being struck out as an unenforceable penalty.

Trespass is a matter for a landowner only - the Claimant has no locus

5. The Defendant has cause to believe that the Claimant has no cause of action, given that the Claimant does not own the land in question.

5.1. If it is the Claimant's case that the area is intended as a 'no stopping zone' then they cannot also offer parking at a price if the landowner (Airport) in fact intends to prohibit stopping. If cars are never authorised to stop under any circumstances, then any breach would be a matter that falls firmly under the tort of trespass.

5.2. In the Beavis case it was reiterated that only a landowner can sue for damages/loss for alleged trespass, and ParkingEye could not have recovered monies for unauthorised parking/trespass. It was only because they were able to offer something of value (a parking space) and that the charge was part of that contractual licence, that ParkingEye could charge more than any nominal loss that a landowner could have recovered under tort.

5.3. If it is the Claimant's case that they were offering a parking licence or a space that had value, then they have produced no evidence to this effect and will be in difficulty if (as suspected) the signage in fact attempts to create a 'no stopping zone'. This would void any credible legal argument relying upon a 'legitimate interest' supporting the intentions of the landowner, because in a 'no-stopping zone' the landowner intends 'no stopping at all' on the one hand, and any driver conduct in breach of that rule could not on the other hand be allowed by a private company offering the prohibited behaviour under a pseudo contract.

5.4. It is believed that the contract this Claimant has with the Airport limits the parking firm to act as agent of the Airport who remain the (known) principal, in which case only the Airport can sue, not the agent in their own name.

5.5. The Claimant is put to strict proof of their locus and cause and right of action in their own name, and to disclose the unredacted contract with the Airport, before any hearing.

Airport approach roads are subject to road traffic enactments (public highway)

6. Even if the Claimant is able to overcome the difficulties they face in showing that:

(a) they have locus to sue in their own name regarding this location, and that
    (b) they offered a parking space with value, and a licence to park there, and that
    (c) the Defendant was afforded the opportunity to accept contractual terms and that
    (d) these terms were prominently displayed, and that
    (e) this charge (described by the Airport as a 'fine') is somehow saved from the penalty rule,

the Claimant is also put to strict proof that:

(f) this access road is not part of the public highway. A 'public highway' is any road maintained by public expense where the public would normally have a right to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle. It is averred that the Airport approach road is public highway and the Claimant is put to strict proof to the contrary.

6.1. The road is not clearly demarcated as private land, nor is it a private car park and thus, any parking/traffic contraventions would be a matter for the local authority. Such roads are subject to the rules of the Road Traffic Act and statutory instrument and any 'PCN' must be a proper penalty charge notice issued under the Traffic Management Act 2004.

6.2. The claimant is put to strict proof that this approach road is a part of 'the Airport' site where road traffic enactments do not apply.

Added costs have not been incurred - attempt at double recovery

7. In addition to the original parking charge, for which liability is denied, the Claimant has artificially inflated the value of the Claim by adding purported costs which the Defendant submits have never actually been incurred.

8. The added costs are in fact artificially invented figures, which represent a cynical attempt to circumvent the Small Claims costs rules and achieve double recovery. In Beavis, only the parking charge itself (£85) was pursued and the 'charge' was scrutinised by the Supreme Court and held to mainly represent a significant sum in profit; being a pre-set, deliberately high deterrent 'charge'. This was already significantly over and above the very minimal costs of operating an automated ticketing regime and no damages/loss/debt collection costs could have been claimed on top, because none existed.

9. The defendant denies the claim in its entirety voiding any liability to the claimant for all amounts claimed due to the aforementioned reasons. The Court is invited to dismiss the Claim, and to allow such Defendant's costs as are permissible under Civil Procedure Rule 27.14.

I believe the facts contained in this Defence Statement are true.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    although these dont usually progress to an MCOL, I believe there may be a couple over on pepipoo forums about JLA with VCS, so maybe look on there for any suitable defences

I know there used to be a fighting fund to help out with any future court cases on airport land like JLA, so the people involved in all of the above may be able to help you , although leaving it this late is very stupid given the issues involved (bylaws , no POFA2012 relevance etc) but I hope somebody can hone the above
  • Grimble
    Grimble Posts: 455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I might add that the parking attendant should have informed the driver that this was a no stopping area and not just filmed him.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Risk_, what is the Date of Issue on your Claim Form?
  • Risk_
    Options
    18/07/2018
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, you are right, your Defence should be filed by 4pm on Monday 20th August 2018.

When you are happy with the content, the Defence should be filed via email as described here:

1) Print the Defence.
    2) Sign it and date it.
    3) Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    4) Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    5) Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    6) Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defended". If not, you should chase the CCBC until it is.
    7) Wait for the Directions Questionnaire and come back here.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,509 Forumite
    Options
    I'd write to RH Airport M.D. asking which senior manager (if not the M.D.) will be representing the airport at the court hearing, because you will want to cross examine them on the arrangements they have with VCS, how and when this was set up, who agreed what (pile a number of other points on which a cross examination might range over) and ask that you are provided with a series of dates when the individual is not available, so that you can ask the court to avoid such dates.

Remind them that they are jointly and severally liable for the actions of their agent - and you will be pressing the court to pursue this liability.

Time to kick back, hard and dirty!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,729 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 August 2018 at 9:01PM
    Options
    I think you have based your draft on this one that I wrote a while back:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5851307

So all I can add is that you might want to add this ending instead of #7, #8 and #9:
    7. In addition to the original parking charge notice (PCN) of £60, for which liability is denied, the Claimants have artificially inflated the value of the Claim by adding purported additional 'costs' to artificially increase the charge to £160, which the Defendant submits, constitutes an attempt to achieve double recovery.

7.1. Even of the Court decides that a £60 charge can increase to £100 - despite the minimal costs of issuing a PCN and standard letters being around £12 - £15 - there is no justification for adding a further £60 and misleading the court that the alleged 'debt' was £160.

7.2. In ParkingEye v Beavis, only the parking charge itself (£85) was pursued and the sum was scrutinised by the Supreme Court and held to already include a significant sum in profit; being a sum set in advance which was already significantly over and above the very minimal costs of operating an automated ticketing regime. Damages could not be added; it was held that a claim from a parking firm agent could not have been pleaded as damages, and would have failed because ParkingEye suffered no loss.

7.3. In all other 'parking charge' cases which turn on different signs and different facts, the penalty rule was held by the Supreme Court Judges to remain engaged, and that such charges cannot be enforced merely to punish. The £85 charge in Beavis was saved from being struck out as an unenforceable penalty due to a specific legitimate interest in a quick turnover of spaces in a free car park where no tariff owing could be quantified, and by the clear/brief contract offered on prominent notices.

7.4. None of this applies in this case where no parking took place and the signs are not brief or clear, and in fact offer no consideration or licence to park, and therefore no true contract could have been agreed during the few minutes in question.

8. The defendant denies the claim in its entirety voiding any liability to the claimant for all amounts claimed due to the aforementioned reasons. The Court is invited to dismiss the Claim, and to allow such Defendant's costs as are permissible under Civil Procedure Rule 27.14.

9. In the alternative, given that the issue will turn on the fact that there was no contract offered and no 'parking event' and the land is not a car park but is public highway under statutory control (either under Airport byelaws or Local Authority public highway Traffic Order), the Defendant requests a preliminary hearing to examine these fundamental issues, to save burdening the court with a dubious claim under 'contract' that has no merit.

I believe that the facts stated in this defence are true.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Risk_
    Options
    Thanks all,

@Coupon-mad - i've edited my defence thankyou

@Umkomaas - is this hard and dirty enough?

I write regarding a recent legal matter whereby an agent claiming to be operating on behalf of Robin Hood Airport, Vehicle Control Services Ltd (VCS), has issued county court proceedings against myself following an alleged parking contravention. VCS suggests that it has the authority to serve such claims based upon a contract between itself and the landowner of the site. It is presumed that said landowner is Peel Holdings and in this capacity Peel Holdings is jointly and severally liable for the actions of their agent. It is this liability which I shall be pressing the court to pursue.

As such I write to enquire as to whom of the senior management (if not your good self) shall be representing Peel Holdings at the coming court hearing, as I intend to cross-examine it on its arrangements with VCS. Areas of investigation shall include but are not limited to:
    !!!8226; How and when this arrangement was negotiated/agreed
    !!!8226; Which parties agreed to which particular terms
    !!!8226; The extent of Peel Holdings!!!8217; knowledge of how VCS operates on its site
    !!!8226; Why Peel Holding is not pursuing myself for trespass in the current matter
    (need more ammo here not quite thought of it yet)

Furthermore, I would request a series of dates clarifying when the representing individual will be unavailable to attend court proceedings. This is in order to notify the court in a prompt manner as to which dates would be suitable for a hearing.

I thank you for your time and consideration and look forward to a timely response.
    Sincerely yours,
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,509 Forumite
    Options
    Looks good to me. Let's see how they handle this.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport