PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fox's Vegan recipes

Comments

• K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 25 June 2017 at 4:00PM
    Slightly off topic but dying to make a vegan yoghurt in the instant pot, without having to use a previous pot as starter. As i either forget or don't have any in. Does anybody know of a suitable vegan yoghurt culture, preferably on Amazon or similar thanks.

Ps I had Satay too on Weds foxface with TKC "chicken" from Wing Yip. I must make up some seitan, but currently got granddaughter, so meal planning goes a bit to pot when she stays over ( she's 6 months old)
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Crikey i was the last one to post in here, moreorless a year ago. Grandaughter is now 18 months old (where did the time go)? ... I still haven't made the yoghurt :o
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Crikey i was the last one to post in here, moreorless a year ago. Grandaughter is now 18 months old (where did the time go)? ... I still haven't made the yoghurt :o

Yeah I haven't been around for a while, didn't realise it had been a year though :o
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • Molillie
    Molillie Posts: 134 Forumite
    I'm glad the thread has popped up again, will enjoy using some of the recipes, I'm plant-based, but vegetarian not vegan at the moment, mainly for family and social reasons.
  • FoxFace
    edited 7 June 2018 at 12:18PM
    Thanks everyone for your support! :) I am currently making this so I thought I would write it down... It's easy, takes a few ingredients and is absolutely delish! This is my comfort food :)

Vegan Cheeze Sauce
    Serves: 4

Ingredients:

2 smallish carrots, peeled and chopped (about 15cm each)
    1 Fist sized potato chopped (I leave the skin on)
    half a tsp Onion Powder (or a small onion if you have one)
    half a tsp Garlic Powder (or a couple of cloves if you have them)
    3-4tbl Nutritional Yeast (You can buy this from health food stores)
    A dash of lemon juice

Method:

If you are using a regular onion and garlic, you will need to fry these until soft and set aside

Boil the carrots and potato until cooked, then drain, setting aside the water

Add the cooked carrot, potato, onion and garlic (or the powder equivalent) nutritional yeast and lemon juice to a blender and add a small amount of the cooking water. Blend thoroughly, adding more water as required until a smooth, thick sauce is created.

Season to taste and serve with pasta, or cauliflower or nachos or anything else you might want a cheezy sauce for (I've even spread it on toast and popped under the grill... so good!.
  • Molillie
    Molillie Posts: 134 Forumite
    Thanks for this cheesy sauce recipe, the other ones I've seen often involve cashews and yellow peppers and things, and yours seems to be items I'm far more likely to routinely have in, and also will be a lot cheaper.

I haven't tried Nutritional Yeast yet, but will have a look at our little health food shop.
  • FoxFace
    Hi all! This morning I had a dilemma in that the YS avocado's I had planned for lunch were nowhere near ripe... my son comes home from school for lunch so I needed to improvise these with ingredients I had in!

Taken from an online recipe but modified to be vegan. I haven't included the recipe for pastry, I used a standard (vegan) shortcrust but would also work well if you can pick up some puff pastry at a good price :)

Lentil & Mushroom rolls
    Serves: 4 (I got 8 rolls out of the batch)

Ingredients:
    100g brown lentils
    1tbsp oil
    1 small onion, diced finely
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    150g mushrooms, diced quite small (I blitzed mine in a food processor to make mushroom "mince")
    ¼tsp dried thyme
    ¼tsp dried sage
    Black pepper
    ½ vegetable stock cube (or just salt if you don't have stock cubes)
    50g breadcrumbs
    1 flax egg (1tbl of ground flax with 1tbl water)

Method:
    -Boil the lentils for about 20 minutes until cooked, drain and set aside.
    -Fry the onion and garlic in the oil for a few minutes until soft.
    -Add the mushrooms, herbs, pepper and crumbled stock cube to the onion and garlic and cook over a gentle heat until the mushrooms are soft and have released some of their juice.
    -Add the breadcrumbs, flax egg and lentils and combine well.

-Roll out your pastry into a long strip (I think mine was about 10cm by 30cm)
    -Place the lentil mushroom mix along the middle in a sausage shape.
    - Fold the pastry, using a little water to seal the overlap.
    - Turn over so the overlap is on the counter and cut the roll into 8 pieces, about 4cm each to make little rolls.
    -Place on a baking tray, keeping the pastry overlap underneath the roll and brush each roll with a little plant milk (I used soya).
    -Bake for about 20 minutes on Gas 6 (or equivalent) or until the pastry is crisp and golden.
  • FoxFace wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your support! :) I am currently making this so I thought I would write it down... It's easy, takes a few ingredients and is absolutely delish! This is my comfort food :)

Vegan Cheeze Sauce
    Serves: 4

Ingredients:

2 smallish carrots, peeled and chopped (about 15cm each)
    1 Fist sized potato chopped (I leave the skin on)
    half a tsp Onion Powder (or a small onion if you have one)
    half a tsp Garlic Powder (or a couple of cloves if you have them)
    3-4tbl Nutritional Yeast (You can buy this from health food stores)
    A dash of lemon juice

Method:

If you are using a regular onion and garlic, you will need to fry these until soft and set aside

Boil the carrots and potato until cooked, then drain, setting aside the water

Add the cooked carrot, potato, onion and garlic (or the powder equivalent) nutritional yeast and lemon juice to a blender and add a small amount of the cooking water. Blend thoroughly, adding more water as required until a smooth, thick sauce is created.

Season to taste and serve with pasta, or cauliflower or nachos or anything else you might want a cheezy sauce for (I've even spread it on toast and popped under the grill... so good!.

I've been meaning to get round to trying this sorta sauce for some time now.

Do you think its possible to do it an oil-free way or are you saying it's possible to do oil-free version if using the garlic and onion powders (ie rather than the veg. themselves iyswim)?
  • FoxFace
    I've been meaning to get round to trying this sorta sauce for some time now.

Do you think its possible to do it an oil-free way or are you saying it's possible to do oil-free version if using the garlic and onion powders (ie rather than the veg. themselves iyswim)?

If you use the onion and garlic powder there is no oil in this recipe. Also, you could still use the onion and garlic but sweat them down with a tbl or so of water (I used to water fry a lot when I was eating oil free). :)
  • RebeccaAnn
    RebeccaAnn Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have some cheap easy vegan recipes, can add them on here if you don't mind FoxFace?
    SPC #062
    12k in2019 #23 £8167/£16k
    Make £2019 in 2019 #32 £513/£2019
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills