IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Comments

• Hi Everyone,b
    I am new on the platform. Will appreciate some help on a PCN i have been trying to get off my back but not sure how to post on the forum.. Please help. Thank you.
  • @ Coupon-mad . I didn't mean to disrupt the thread. Was only seeking for help. Am also new on the platform still trying to navigate around. I have tried to delete my post as directed not sure if it went through help me confirm if it deleted please. Thank you. With regards to the POPLA code when translated the code summary states;

Issuing operator:141
    Date Code generated: Thur Mar 01 2018
    Code Sequence number: 573

Deadline information
    Appeal deadline is Thu Mar 29 2018 to reach POPLA.

I understand that I have about 10 days from today.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 3 April 2018 at 5:20PM
    NO REPLY HERE PLEASE. IT WILL BE MOVED OR DELETED BY A BOARD GUIDE.

Please delete the above posts or copy them into a new thread, using the new thread button. If you don't know how to use the forum, see here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_vb3_board_usage

Please, please delete your posts from this thread, now.
    Deadline information
    Appeal deadline is Thu Mar 29 2018 to reach POPLA.
    Copy/adapt another similar POPLA appeal and start a new thread, showing it to us. NOT HERE!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • JB83
    JB83 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Hi guys,

This is my appeal to local parking security (LPS) and then to POPLA, my thread link is below and the successful decision from POPLA is below that.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789201

Assessor summary of your case

The appellant’s case is that the operator failed to meet the strict requirements of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act (PoFA) 2012. They say that the operator has not shown that the individual it is pursuing is the driver. The appellant says that there is no evidence of landowner authority. They say that the signage is not prominent, clear or legible from all parking spaces and there is insufficient notice of the charge itself. The appellant says that the operator is not authorised to issue excess charge notices.

Assessor supporting rational for decision

By issuing the appellant with a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) the operator has implied that the appellant has not complied with the terms and conditions of the car park in question. It is the responsibility of the operator to provide evidence to POPLA which demonstrates the terms and conditions of the site and how they were breached. On this occasion, no evidence has been provided and the operator has therefore failed to demonstrate the validity of the PCN. Accordingly, I must allow the appeal.
  • bergkamp
    bergkamp Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    PE/Aldi Hidden clause mk2.

Decision Unsuccessful
    Assessor Name Alexandra Roby
    Assessor summary of operator case
    The operator!!!8217;s case is that the motorist remained at the car park for longer than the stay authorised.

The appellant!!!8217;s case is that there is genuine customer exemption criteria unevidenced and not explained to motorists. The appellant states that his appeal was rejected as he did not meet the landowner!!!8217;s discretionary criteria, despite having provided a copy of his receipt to prove that he was a genuine customer. The appellant states that the hidden clause is an unfair term under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The appellant has provided a copy of his receipt to support his appeal.

In this case, it is not clear who the driver of the vehicle in question is, so I must consider the provisions of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 as the operator has issued the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) to the keeper of the vehicle. The operator has provided a copy of the notice to keeper sent to the appellant. I have reviewed the notice to keeper against the relevant sections of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 and I am satisfied that it is compliant, and that the operator has successfully transferred liability to the keeper of the vehicle.

The terms and conditions of the site state: !!!8220;1 ½ hour max stay. Aldi customers only. Failure to comply with the terms & conditions will result in a Parking Charge of: £70!!!8221;. The operator has issued the PCN as the motorist remained at the car park for longer than the stay authorised. Images from the operator!!!8217;s Automatic Number Plate Recognition system have been provided, which show that the appellant!!!8217;s vehicle entered the car park at 13:XX and exited at 18:XX on the day in question, staying for a total of four hours and XX minutes.

The appellant!!!8217;s case is that there is genuine customer exemption criteria unevidenced and not explained to motorists. The appellant states that his appeal was rejected as he did not meet the landowner!!!8217;s discretionary criteria, despite having provided a copy of his receipt to prove that he was a genuine customer.
    The appellant states that the hidden clause is an unfair term under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

The legality of parking charges has been the subject of a high profile court case, ParkingEye-v-Beavis. Cambridge County Court heard the case initially, handing down a decision in May 2014 that a parking charge of £85 was allowable. It held that the parking charge had the characteristics of a penalty, in the sense in which that expression is conventionally used, but one that was commercially justifiable because it was neither improper in its purpose nor manifestly excessive in its amount. Mr Beavis took the case to the Court of Appeal, which refused the appeal in April 2015, stating that the charge was neither extravagant nor unconscionable. Mr Beavis further appealed to the Supreme Court, which on 4 November 2015, concluded: !!!8220;!!!8230;the £85 charge is not a penalty. Both ParkingEye and the landowners had a legitimate interest in charging overstaying motorists, which extended beyond the recovery of any loss. The interest of the landowners was the provision and efficient management of customer parking for the retail outlets. The interest of ParkingEye was in income from the charge, which met the running costs of a legitimate scheme plus a profit margin. Further, the charge was neither extravagant nor unconscionable, having regard to practice around the United Kingdom, and taking into account the use of this particular car park and the clear wording of the notices.!!!8221;
    As such, I must consider whether the signage at this site is sufficient. When doing so, I must first consider the minimum standards set out in Section 18 of the British Parking Association (BPA) Code of Practice. Within Section 18.1 of the BPA Code of Practice, it states as follows: !!!8220;You must use signs to make it easy for them to find out what your terms and conditions are.!!!8221; Furthermore, Section 18.3 of the BPA Code of Practice states: !!!8220;You must place signs containing the specific parking terms throughout the site, so that drivers are given the chance to read them at the time of parking or leaving their vehicle. Keep a record of where all the signs are. Signs must be conspicuous and legible, and written in intelligible language, so that they are easy to see, read and understand.!!!8221;
    As stated, these are the minimum standards that a parking operator must meet when informing motorists of the terms and conditions at a particular site.

In addition to this, I note that within the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA 2012) it discusses the clarity that needs to be provided to make a motorist aware of the parking charge. Specifically, it requires that the driver is given !!!8220;adequate notice!!!8221; of the charge. The Act then moved on to define !!!8220;adequate notice!!!8221; as follows: (3) For the purposes of sub-paragraph (2) !!!8220;adequate notice!!!8221; means notice given by: (a) the display of one or more notices in accordance with any applicable requirements prescribed in regulations under paragraph 12 for, or for purposes including, the purposes of sub-paragraph (2); or (b) where no such requirements apply, the display of one or more notices which: (i) specify the sum as the charge for unauthorised parking; and (ii) are adequate to bring the charge to the notice of drivers who park vehicles on the relevant land. Even in circumstances where PoFA 2012 does not apply, I believe this to be a reasonable standard to use when making my own independent assessment of the signage in place at the location. Having considered the signage in place at this particular site against the requirements of Section 18 of the BPA Code of Practice and PoFA 2012, I am of the view that the signage at the site is sufficient to bring the parking charge to the attention of the motorist.

Therefore, having considered the decision of the Supreme Court, I conclude that the parking charge in this instance is allowable. Although the charge may not be a genuine pre-estimate of loss; the signage at the location is clear, the motorist did not keep to the terms and conditions set out on the signage, and the charge is neither extravagant nor unconscionable. When parking on private land, the motorist forms a contract with the operator by remaining on the land for a reasonable period. The signage at the site sets out the terms and conditions of this contract. Therefore upon entry to the car park, it is the duty of the motorist to review and comply with the terms and conditions when deciding to park.

Furthermore, whether such a clause in the contract exists between the landowner and the parking operator has no bearing on my decision in this case. I do not consider that it would have affected the motorist!!!8217;s ability to comply with the terms and conditions in the first instance.

While I note that the motorist may have been a genuine customer of the Aldi store that day, this did not make them exempt from the site!!!8217;s terms and conditions. As the motorist remained at the car park for longer than the stay authorised, they have failed to comply. As such, I conclude that the PCN was issued correctly.

Accordingly, I must refuse this appeal.

Comments on this thread;

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5820692
  • hap397
    hap397 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi all

Followed the templates and appealed to POPLA which was successful (see below). Thanks for taking the time providing your invaluable support.

Operator Name First Parking
    Operator Case Summary
    The operator didn't provide a case summary

POPLA assessment and decision
    30/03/2018

Verification Code
    xxxxxxxxxx

Decision: Successful
    Assessor Name: Carly Law

The operator has issued the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) as the appellant!!!8217;s vehicle was on site without a valid permit.

The appellant!!!8217;s case is that a ticket was purchased by the driver of the vehicle and it was clearly displayed on the dashboard of the vehicle. They say that the parking operator has advised that the signage is clear and that the vehicle was parked in contravention of the terms and conditions. The appellant says that the wording on the signage is open to different interpretations and is ambiguous. They say that the driver of the vehicle feels that they complied with the terms and conditions as the signage states, !!!8220;Clearly displayed a valid permit OR Pay and Display ticket, face up in the windscreen!!!8221;. They add that the ticket was displayed with the correct fee paid for. The appellant has provided a photograph of the signage at the site, along with an image of the ticket purchased.

I acknowledge the reason the operator has issued the PCN. The burden of proof lies with the operator to demonstrate that it has issued the PCN correctly. The operator has issued the PCN as the appellant!!!8217;s vehicle was parked on site without a valid permit. The appellant has raised several grounds for appeal. However, I am not satisfied that the driver of the vehicle has been identified in either the appeal to the operator or to POPLA. While I acknowledge that the operator has advised that it has not issued a Notice to Keeper as an appeal was made against the Notice to Driver, this is insufficient to identify the driver of the vehicle. If the operator wanted to pursue the keeper of the vehicle, it would have needed to have transferred liability to the keeper of the vehicle using the Protection of Freedoms Act (PoFA) 2012. As the operator is not seeking to pursue the keeper under PoFA 2012, only the driver can be held liable for the charge. As such, I must allow the appeal on the basis that the operator has failed to demonstrate that the appellant is the driver and therefore liable for the charge. As I am allowing the appeal on this basis, I do not need to consider any other grounds of appeal raised by the appellant.
  • Computersaysno
    Computersaysno Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Good one!!

From my reading of this, the appellant [owner] didn't actually put 'no keeper liability/driver not identified' as a point of appeal?

The adjudicator seems to have done that for themselves??

Now that would be nice if POPLA did the work for us!!!
  • Hi, hope this is the correct place to put this. My appeal against Carflow re the St Peter's Court, Car Park, Chalfont St Peter was successful. Thank you for all the help that is on the MSE site. Hope this might help others.
    POPLA Decision: Successful
    Assessor Name: LB

Assessor Summary of the operator case: The operator's case is that the appellant exceeded the maximum stay.

Assessor summary of appellant's case: The appellant's case is that the signage is inadequate. The appellant said the signs are unlit and illegible. The appellant has questioned if the operator has the authority to issue parking charges on the land in question. The appellant said that the NtK does not meet the requirements of the POFA 2012. The appellant stated the signs do not comply with section 21.1 of the BPA Code regarding ANPR.

Assessor Supporting rationale for decision: While the appellant has raised a separate ground of appeal, my report will focus solely on if the NtK was compliant with the POFA 2012. As the appellant has not declared he was the driver of the vehicle, I must consider whether the conditions of POFA 2012 were met. After reviewing the evidence provided by both parties, I am not satisfied that, the appellant has been identified as the driver at the time of the relevant parking event. The operator is therefore pursuing the appellant as the Registered Keeper of the vehicle in this instance. The NtK will need to comply with section 9 of POFA 2012 that states that the creditor must 'warn the keeper that if, after the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice is given - (i) the amount of the unpaid parking charges specified under paragraph (d) has not been paid in full, and (ii) the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, . the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Section are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid'. The NtK sent by the operator states "the charge must be paid no later than 28 days from the date of issue". In this case I do not consider that the operator has fully met the requirements of POFA as by informing the appellant it can seek to recover payment after 28 days, it has failed to meet section (2f) as this 28 day period will not begin until the day after the notice is given. As such, I cannot conclude that the PCN has been issued correctly."

[Carflow put 9(2)(f) in its own (wrong) words on the NtK, so it is worth checking what others have on their NtK's. If it says "...29 days from the date of issue.." etc, as my NtK did, plus the Assessor's other points, then that is very helpful for an appeal.
  • TESS64
    TESS64 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Another success against the Parking Eye cowboys - thank you for all your help:

Decision: Successful

Assessor Name:

The operator’s case is that the motorist did not purchase a valid pay and display ticket or parked without a valid permit.

The appellant’s case is that she was not driving the vehicle and was teaching at the time. She states that she can provide a testimonial from her head teacher to prove this. She states that the operator’s photographic evidence does not identify her as the driver. The appellant advises that the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) was issued more than 14 days after the parking event.

In this instance, the operator has issued the PCN to the keeper of the vehicle, and I am therefore satisfied that the keeper of the vehicle is entitled to appeal the validity of the PCN. Upon review of its notice to keeper, it is evident that the operator has not referenced that it is attempting to transfer the liability for the PCN from the driver of the vehicle to the keeper of the vehicle using the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Therefore, the operator should continue to hold the driver liable. As such, I must first consider whether I am confident that I know who the driver of the vehicle is, based on the evidence that I have received. After considering the evidence, I am unable to confirm that the appellant is in fact the driver of the vehicle. As such, I must allow the appeal on the basis that the operator has failed to demonstrate that the appellant is the driver and therefore liable for the charge. Accordingly, I must allow this appeal.

:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5813337

Your thread is an example of how people WILL WIN when they are the holder of a ParkingEye 'golden ticket' and have not said who was driving. You are Willy Wonka! Well done on your success!

Tell all your friends & colleagues to come here first when they are bothered by any PPC scammer.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback