IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Data Protection Act Guidance

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Nice one Timothea and this will get added to the NEWBIES thread on the next edit soon.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Timothea
    Timothea Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 January 2017 at 9:44AM
    Options
    I think the DPA could provide effective redress for those who have unwittingly acquired a CCJ from a PPC. Such a claim would be based on a breach of principle 4 of the DPA: "Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date." The DPA goes on to say:
    The fourth principle is not to be regarded as being contravened by reason of any inaccuracy in personal data which accurately record information obtained by the data controller from the data subject or a third party in a case where—

(a) having regard to the purpose or purposes for which the data were obtained and further processed, the data controller has taken reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy of the data, and

(b) if the data subject has notified the data controller of the data subject’s view that the data are inaccurate, the data indicate that fact.
    So, a data controller must take reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy of personal data that are further processed. I think it is clear that it would be unreasonable not to verify the address of the driver/keeper before lodging a court claim if either that address has not been confirmed by the driver/keeper or significant time has elapsed since heir address was last confirmed or verified.

This would allow the driver/keeper to claim compensation for financial loss (damages) and distress, both of which could run into thousands of pounds if the CCJ had serious repercussions for hem.

Anyone who is thinking about doing this should consider obtaining professional legal advice and representation. Household insurance that includes legal cover may help.
  • Timothea
    Options
    I have updated the guidance in post #1 to explain that PPCs may obtain keeper data from DVLA manually, using form V888/3, rather than electronically, and what this means for any DPA claim. The answer is 'not much' because the relevant parts of the KADOE contract are simply DVLA's interpretation of the DPA, which applies in either case.
  • safarmuk
    safarmuk Posts: 648 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2017 at 4:24PM
    Options
    AND the actions of the PPC have caused you significant damage or distress,
    This is a key point in my understanding what would be considered as "distress" by a court sufficient to award £250+?
    Of course, the keeper must be prepared to follow through with this threat, at least to the extent of making a counterclaim for damages if the PPC makes a money claim against the keeper. This is not for the faint-hearted.
    What does the bolded bit mean? Apologies I am still getting up to speed on this one. Are you referring to the PPC taking the PCN all the way to the SCC? [e.g. the scenario marked (GOOD, better than being the claimant)]
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    Timothea wrote: »
    I have updated the guidance in post #1 to explain that PPCs may obtain keeper data from DVLA manually, using form V888/3, rather than electronically, and what this means for any DPA claim. The answer is 'not much' because the relevant parts of the KADOE contract are simply DVLA's interpretation of the DPA, which applies in either case.

and a link to all companies that use electronic access , also listed is the likes of DR+ / ranger with a list of thier clients

this is a DVLA excel spreadsheet kadoe-enquiries-2015-16-q3-2016-17-v1-3.xlsx

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/589036/kadoe-enquiries-2015-16-q3-2016-17-v1-3.xlsx
  • Timothea
    edited 5 February 2017 at 9:19PM
    Options
    safarmuk wrote: »
    This is a key point in my understanding what would be considered as "distress" by a court sufficient to award £250+?
    It depends on the judge, but there is some case-law that suggests £250 is a suitable amount of compensation when unquantified distress was caused to the data subject resulting from a single DPA breach. A judge might award a higher amount if there were aggravating factors, such as quantified distress, repeated breaches, failure to respond properly to a data access request or a data subject notice, failure to register as a data controller, etc.

This is why it's important to keep all correspondence from the PPC and its agents, which can be used to demonstrate to the judge the deliberate aim of the PPC to scare people into paying money, even when the claim is unfounded.
    safarmuk wrote: »
    What does the bolded bit mean? Apologies I am still getting up to speed on this one. Are you referring to the PPC taking the PCN all the way to the SCC? [e.g. the scenario marked (GOOD, better than being the claimant)]
    That's not what meant. I was merely saying that most people might not want to start a money claim against a PPC unless they are defending a money claim by the PPC and preparing to appear in court anyway.

It would be nice to have such a claim being decided by the Court of Appeal or the Supreme Court, but this is very unlikely to happen. It takes two to tango and PPCs rely on uncertainty to generate the fear that lines their pockets.
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 February 2017 at 8:43AM
    Options
    Below is an example of an LBCCC to be sent to the PPC and Landowner before issuing a Claim for breaches of the DPA. It will need to be modified to suit the particular facts and circumstances of the case.

I believe it's important to conjoin the landowner, most of those will care about their reputation and be more likely to pay up than a PPC:

The Company Secretary
    [Name of PPC]
    [Address]
    [Postcode]
    [DATE]

LETTER BEFORE COUNTY COURT CLAIM

Dear Sir or Madam,

First Defendant: [Name of PPC]
    Second Defendant: [Name of Landowner]

This letter is sent in accordance with the Practice Directions on Pre-Action Conduct. The conjoined defendants named above are held to be jointly and severally liable for compensatory payments in respect of breaches of the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA), as set out in the following paragraphs.

Facts of the Case

1. This matter arises from the issue of a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) by the First Defendant at [LOCATION], on [DATE]. The Second Defendant is the landowner of this property, and at all material times [Name of PPC] were acting with the authority of, and under instructions from, [Name of Landowner], so that the agent / principal relationship giving rise to joint and several liability is clearly established.

2. Subsequent to the incident, I received a Notice to Keeper from [Name of PPC], who had obtained my registered keeper details from the DVLA. Following my refusal to pay a charge of £100 for [INSERT REASON FOR CHARGE], and after protracted appeals processes with [Name of PPC] and an independent adjudicator, a court Claim Form was issued by [Name of PPC] on [DATE}, Claim Number [XXXXXXXX}.

3. The hearing of the Claim was listed for XXXXXXX County Court on [DATE], and at the Trial, the Claim was dismissed because [INSERT REASON CLAIM DISMISSED].

4. As evidenced by the above, there was clearly no reasonable cause for [Name of PPC] to request my keeper data from the DVLA, or to process the data for any lawful purpose..

Legal Issues Arising

5. It follows that, not only were [Name of PPC] in breach of their Keeper At Date Of Event (KADOE) contract with the DVLA by obtaining and processing my personal data when they clearly had no reasonable cause to do so, but they were also in breach of the Second Principle of Schedule 1 of the DPA, which states “Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.”

6. Pursuant to s13 of the DPA, “Compensation for failure to comply with certain requirements”, the Act states at 13(1) that “An individual who suffers damage by reason of any contravention by a data controller of any of the requirements of this Act is entitled to compensation from the data controller for that damage”.

7. I rely on two significant authorities in support of my claim, which are Vidal-Hall v Google Inc [2015] EWCA 311, and Halliday v Creation Consumer Finance Ltd [2013] EWCA Civ 333. In Vidal-Hall, it was held by the Court of Appeal that compensation was payable upon the fact of breach, and that it was not necessary to quantify a direct pecuniary loss. In Halliday, the Court of Appeal held that a compensatory sum of up to £750 was deemed ‘appropriate and sufficient’

8. Both of the above cases arose as a result of material breaches of the DPA by the respective defendants, and can be considered to provide binding precedents for my own situation. The consequences of the breach were perhaps less serious in my case than the two cited cases, and accordingly, my claim is for £250 at the lower end of the scale. A similar ruling was made by a District Judge at Liverpool County Court on 7 December 2016, in case no. C9DP2D6C, VCS v Mr. M.

Actions Required by Defendants

I now require you to remit the sum of £250 payable to me at the above address, within 14 days of your receipt of this letter, deemed to be two working days after the date of posting. Failure to pay the sum due, or to otherwise furnish a substantive response, will result in the issue of a Money Claim through the County Court Business Centre at Northampton without further reference to yourselves.

In the event that a Claim is issued, you may incur additional costs in the form of court filing fees, hearing fees, and such other costs as are recoverable on the small claims track of the County Court. A judgment against you may also result in a downgrading of your Company’s credit rating, and further costs for enforcement action, which may include seizure and disposal of your corporate assets by Court appointed bailiffs.

Yours faithfully,

[Your Name and Address]
    cc: Company Secretary, [Name of Landowner]

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2017 at 11:29AM
    Options
    That is all very well Mr B, but to put that into effect one needs to have been taken to court and won, so a win on a DPA breach is more or less a slam dunk. The people who take PPCs to court are not shrinking violets, they have the tee shirts. What is needed is a form of words to encourage the less robust.

My son in law has recently received an NTK/O from Apcoa for an out of bay infringement on railway land. No mention of bye-laws.

What is needed is a means to close these PPNs down at or before NTK stage. Apcoa are well away they are in breach of their KADOE contract and fold at the first sign of resistance, so a claim for parking on bye-law land will never get to the County Court.

I am suggesting to my son in law that he invoices Apcoa for a sum for breach, but I doubt if he would be prepared to take them to court, and I certainly would not advise him to.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    That is all very well Mr B, but to put that into effect one needs to have been taken to court and won, so a win on a DPA breach is more or less a slam dunk. The people who take PPCs to court are not shrinking violets, they have the tee shirts. What is needed is a form of words to encourage the less robust. ...

Exactly right, Mr TD, that is a template for people who have won their cases in court. A different version will be required for other types of cases.

But the 'less robust' type of OP is unlikely to make a suitable Claimant who is prepared to pursue a PPC all the way to court, and gamble £50 in filing and hearing fees to do so.

As I've said before, this sort of thing is not for the faint-hearted, and if you are not the sort of person who can take a hot buttered crumpet up the rear end without blubbing, you probably should not get involved in this.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2017 at 2:01PM
    Options
    I attach a copy of a first draft to GWR, comments welcomed

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The Chief Legal Officer[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I[FONT=Times New Roman, serif] wish to bring to your attention the wholesale abuse of the Law of Contract by one of your contractors. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]APCOA are attempting to claim keeper liability under The Protection of Freedoms Act for contravention of their terms and conditions on non-scheduled land covered by Railways Bye-Laws. This is in breach of their KADOE contract and the DP rights of registerd keepers whose details they access from the DVLA.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]You should be aware that a head of steam is building up to make your employer rein in this company, plans are afoot to make Great Western Railway a co-respondent along with Apcoa in a claim in the County Court for a breach of personal data rights by accessing DVLA records without due cause. Should this be successful. It could open the floodgates for thousands of claims against yourselves. I would draw your attention to [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Halliday v Creation Consumer Finance Ltd. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I leave it to you to take whatever action you consider to be financially prudent. [/FONT][/FONT]
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure