New Post Advanced Search

cake cake cakety cake

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
45 replies 14.3K views
superdog_3superdog_3 Forumite
92 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
Evening all.
I would like to make mini christmas cakes in bean tins (washed out of course) but I would really like an idiot proof recipe including cooking times. I am rubbish at cooking so be kind.:o

Replies

• What a great idea - I didn't even know you could use old bean tins.....
  • AddiscomberAddiscomber Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have recipe/instructions for exactly this, and know that they work because I cooked about 2 dozen when I was helping to run a Guide unit (the girls had fun decorating them). My typing is very slow, but I will return although possibly not until tomorrow.

Would you believe that when I asked for small clean baked bean tins to be sent in, one mother sent tuna cans :eek:
  • Thanks Addiscomber: look forward to hearing from you!
  • BambamBambam Forumite
    359 posts
    What an absolutely brilliant idea. I've only just put my Christmas cake in the oven. Wish I'd read this thread first. This will definitely go into my Christmas ideas book for next year! Thanks. :T
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
    :kisses3:
  • Would you believe that when I asked for small clean baked bean tins to be sent in, one mother sent tuna cans :eek:

Mmmmmmmmmm fish flavour cake _pale_
  • BambamBambam Forumite
    359 posts
    Mmmmmmmmmm fish flavour cake _pale_

Fish cakes??????? :rotfl:
  • Bambam wrote:
    Fish cakes??????? :rotfl:

Oh very good :D:D:D
  • BambamBambam Forumite
    359 posts
    Oh very good :D:D:D

Boom! Boom! :wave:
  • AddiscomberAddiscomber Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hadn't looked at the recipe for a long time, and they are surprisingly short, so here you go

Mini Christmas cakes – very good for bazaars or presents for people who live alone and wouldn’t need a large cake. As it is basically a charity recipe there is no booze in order to keep the cost down.
    Sorry - I have had these instructions for years and they are pre-metric.

For 8 cakes baked in baked bean tins 3” size, greased and lined.

6 oz butter
    6 oz caster sugar
    3 eggs
    7 oz plain flour
    1 tsp mixed spice
    3 oz chopped glace cherries
    1 oz chopped nuts
    1 lb 2 oz mixed dried fruit

To decorate (I cannot remember if these amounts are per cake, or for the 8. I think it is probably per cake.)
    2 oz marzipan
    2 oz fondant icing
    decorations – candles, small baubles and coloured sugar balls

Cream together butter and caster sugar until fluffy, beat in the eggs and then mix in the other ingredients. Stir well and divide between tins. Bake at 325F, 160C, Gas 3 for 1½ hours. Allow to cool completely.

Cover top of each cake with marzipan, then fondant icing.
    Decorate as liked.
    Wrap a strip of Christmas wrapping around the sides and tie with ribbon. In the picture that accompanied the instructions the top edge of the paper had been fringed which looks quite effective.
  • Bambam wrote:
    Boom! Boom! :wave:

Boom boom from bambam :rotfl: :rotfl:

Don't the beans tins have a lip on them? Daft question possibly, but how do you get the cakes out? And do you leave them in the tins/cans if you want to feed them?

I've never made a christmas cake in my life! :o
    Love MSE, Las Vegas and chocolate!