March 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 February 2010 at 10:01PM in Old Style MoneySaving
998 replies 74.3K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    6 NSD's in a row:jI have a couple of bits needed this afternoon but am only taking a tenner to cover them.If I haven't the money in my purse i won't be tempted to splurge on anything.I have been eating from the freezer all last week and found that I really am saving quite a bit.I'm off to have a rummage to see what I can find for dinner tonight.Well done everyone ,its well worth sticking to only 23 more days till the end of the month.:)I know I have some shoulder of lamb steaks in there. I also have a couple of carrots that need using up and some chopped onion in the freezer and a few mushrooms, so I think I will defrost the lamb and chop it up and brown off in the frying pan and then bung in the slow cooker with any veg I can find and make up some bisto gravy and make a casserole for tomorrow.I will also put some potato chopped into wedges in there so it can all cook together. Will let you know how it turns out
    Well done everyone though we are all doing as best we can
  • jintybjintyb Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    aliadds wrote: »
    Just wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of some sort of guide as to how much a week I should allow for 2 adults and 2 dogs. Is £35 realistic or should it be more? I know there are lots of other factors involved but I just thought someone may have some advice!:)

I reckon that's about right. I budget £40 pw for 2 adults (all meals including packed lunches for two and packed breakfast for my OH), toiletries, cleaning stuff and loo roll etc and food for 1dog and 1cat. I try to buy the dog and cat food in bulk, so in the months Im due to get it,I adjust my budget slightly, as it's a big outlay but more economical. It averages out at my budget (usually):rotfl:
    When I started this I set my budget quite high to begin with but I soon found where I could make savings, so over the months I was able to get to a level which suited us. I still love to beat it tho!:D
    Hope this helps!

savvyshe wrote: »
    Good morning everyone,:)

out of 1 chicken I got 1 large and 1 small chicken pie, a chicken broth in slow cooker, sandwiches for DH and DS3 lunches and a lovely roast dinner for DH, DS3 and myself. It is surprising what you can do when you get down to it.:) Anyway going now to iron school uniform and work clothes :mad: Have a super day everyone and wish me luck!!! xx savvyshe

Total spend March so far £104.30/£160

I am in awe of your miracle work with the chicken! :TWell done you!
    Maybe we should have a How many meals out of a chicken challenge ?

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • NJW69NJW69 Forumite
    841 Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Spent £24.43 in Tesco yesterday so signature changed to reflect. Still doing okay I think.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • guccigooguccigoo Forumite
    483 Posts
    i went into mr s today and spent £13.15 as i had to get ingrediants for green thai curry that im doing in the slow cooker, it would have been a lot cheaper for me to get the sains own jar sauce than to make it all from scratch. there only £1 each!! still never mind i may do that next time :)
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • emilykaemilyka Forumite
    220 Posts
    Good Morning,

Please sign me up!

This seems like a great idea- currently I spend around £150 on my tesco online shop (and a little more on fresh bits in between- say £40). I'd like to get my tesco shop down to £140 this month, in view of decreasing £10 a month until £100. There are only two of us so this should be acheivable. I will be keeping the 'fresh bits' at £40 as this is fruit and veg mainly and I dont think it would be healthy to cut down on. Hopefully come summer this will decrease anyway due to the lovely veggies growing in the lotty!!

Thanks very much
    [STRIKE]Saving for a deposit on a flat[/STRIKE]
    :j
    Had offer accepted 21/10/2011
    Survey completed 25/10/2011
    Mortgage offer accepted 22/11/2011
  • ragz_2ragz_2 Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    £2 spend last night on milk and bread. Tesco delivery coming soon too
    Ragz is busy studying ;)
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • aliaddsaliadds Forumite
    26.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jintyb wrote: »
    I reckon that's about right. I budget £40 pw for 2 adults (all meals including packed lunches for two and packed breakfast for my OH), toiletries, cleaning stuff and loo roll etc and food for 1dog and 1cat. I try to buy the dog and cat food in bulk, so in the months Im due to get it,I adjust my budget slightly, as it's a big outlay but more economical. It averages out at my budget (usually):rotfl:
    When I started this I set my budget quite high to begin with but I soon found where I could make savings, so over the months I was able to get to a level which suited us. I still love to beat it tho!:D
    Hope this helps!
    Thanks for that JintyB. Will see how I go but maybe increase my budget to £40pw in April!:)
    Less is more
  • hilly123hilly123 Forumite
    25 Posts
    My word £129.05 already - sent DH to shops for me at the end of last week, I'm sure he does it on purpose so I don't send him again, he spent nearly half of the budget!!
    £460/2000 mortg overpayment
  • KadeeaeKadeeae Forumite
    652 Posts
    Just in to update the sig . . . had fish~n~chips from the chippy Sat. and that was £8.44, but happily on our 6th no spend day for the month. Will have a look tomorrow to see if there's enough needed to warrant an online shop this week :)
  • franby64franby64 Forumite
    937 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all

I've spent quite a bit over the weekend but it was all necessary :o. Our local T*sco Expr*ss are selling packs of Quorn sausage for 49p so I had 3 of those but a lot of the rest was milk, fruit and bread...must bake more bread.

I'm having an A*da delivery tomorrow which is looking like £50 but I need to check it through against what is in the freezer so I don't buy anything I don't need!

I'm going to run the freezer down in March as we are going away for Easter and yes I am feeling very skint!!
    May Shopping Challenge. 10/5. Budget £310 Spent £118.25.. £191.75 left. So £9.13 a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals