Should my bank re-fund bamk charges regardless of test cases etc.

I was in the process of reclaiming my bank charges last year and i had got to the second phase. ie. I had added up the total of the charges and sent the second letter off to the bank. At this stage i believe that the bank had a set time limit (which i cant remember) to reply to my request. However, on the last day on which the time limit expired i recieved a letter stating that my request was taking a bit longer than usual and i shouold wait a bit longer. Literally a few days later a letter came saying that they didnt have to pay them back because of the test case.

So, what i want to know is: Am i entitled to a refund of my charges regardless of the test case etc. Because of the fact that the bank didnt respond to my request in time. :confused:

Cheers.T

Comments

• Orford
    Orford Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    So, what i want to know is: Am i entitled to a refund of my charges regardless of the test case etc. Because of the fact that the bank didnt respond to my request in time.
    Short answer is no.
  • Orford wrote: »
    Short answer is no.
    Why not then? Surely the time limit is there for a reason! Please expand a little.
  • Orford
    Orford Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Whatever time frame you set in your letters, whether it's 7,14,21 or 28 days, the bank is under nolegal obligation to reply within that time. You are merely giving them notice that if they don't, you will move on to the next stage, ie LBA and then court. (which you haven't done since the bank did such a good job of fobbing you off)

If you thought that by not replying in time gave you grounds to receive an immediate refund, then that would apply to 80% of people now waiting for the OFT test case result.

So the long answer is still no
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport