sore doggy ears

My 10 years old spaniel is driving me nuts. He's got really dry itchy ears both on the under flap of his ear and in the ear itself and he's constantly scratching. He also suffers from a lot of smelly black wax which i try and clear (carefully) for him incase this was what was irritating him. These past few weeks though the dryness seems to have got worse. Its very flaky and inflammed although not bleeding...

anybody any idea what this could be or if there's any doggy ear drops available in thepet shops that might help him

Comments

• snowman2_2
    snowman2_2 Posts: 753 Forumite
    The black, smelly wax sounds like an infection and it is worth taking him to the vets, getting a decent ear cleaner and possible some ear drops from the vet. Most pet shop ear drops, in my experience, make no difference.
  • Hawthorn
    Hawthorn Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    Needs to go to the vet!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts :T

Don't throw away food challenge started 30/10/11 £4.45 wasted.

Storecard balance -[STRIKE] £786.60[/STRIKE] £708
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I agree with the others, he needs to see a vet. My dog suffers terribly with his ears, but a combination of regular ear washing and thornit seem to keep things under control most of the time, but as *soon* as they start getting smelly, he needs a vet.
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • RooBee
    RooBee Posts: 282 Forumite
    Your dog is in pain and discomfort. Take him to the vet ASAP.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Smelly black wax is an infection, your dog must be in considerable pain - a vet ASAP
  • kr15snw
    kr15snw Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Our springer had terrible ear problems including the black wax you described, and yep its an infection! Will need daily cleaning with a special antibacterial stuff which you squirt in his ear and then clean it with cotton wool (gotta shove it in quite deep!). Nasty but gotta be done.

Unfortunately Ozzy has just had to have an operation to have his ear canal re routed as hes had this problem constantly since he was a pub. Its now all fixed though :)
    Green and White Barmy Army!
  • SPANIEL36
    SPANIEL36 Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    thanks everyone
  • SPANIEL36
    SPANIEL36 Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    just to let everyone kno that the vet thats dealt with my doggy's sore ears has given the verdict of no infection just a bit of ear wax stuck at the bottom of the ear canal causing the irritation and inflammation, a few drops for a week and it'll all be hunky dorey!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure