£1235 council tax reclaimed!

:money:Hi everyone,
I just had to post on here because I'm so ecstatic! After watching the It Pays To Watch episode where Martin and Ruth talked about reclaiming council tax due to incorrect bandings, my wife and I set to work as we have always believed that our property (a two bedroom bungalow) was inccorectly rated as a band D.

We went through the valuation office web site checking our neighbours properties that are identical to ours and they were a band C, some a D and we were positive C was the right one for us as the price of a band C property in 1993 was £68,000. Our bungalow was purchased for less than that in 1996!

After a LOT of messing around with the valuation office they finally rebanded us a C, and having just called council tax this morning we were entitled to £1235.99 in back council tax, wiping out any further payments for this year and refunding us back £422.
This was a real slog to finally get resolved because the VOA constantly denied receiving letters, reports or telephone calls. We had to keep pestering them until finally getting the result we wanted.
We are overjoyed and thanks to Martin and this wonderful site we are better off as a result. Thanks Martin!

Comments

• EXPAT_2
    EXPAT_2 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Well done, it pays to persevere.

Spend it wisely.
  • It really does! I'm having a battle with Tesco Travel Insurance at the moment who have been trying to get out of paying a cancellation claim so hopefully after this one bit of good news I can aim for a second this week :)
  • thriftymomma
    thriftymomma Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Well done you thats great news!:money:
    Got Halifax Classic to reduce my interest rate by 5% woohoo - 10/06/08 Thanks MSE!
    Another 3% shaved off 10/12/08
    ANOTHER 4 % June 09:beer:
  • Tinpusher
    Tinpusher Posts: 5 Forumite
    I've just had notice today that my [rented] house is now a Band D... from Band E. And I wouldn't have done it without MSE's help!

Thank you SO much Martin. I owe you a pint!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure