Royal Automobile Club

Options
After 10 years membership of the RAC with only three callouts, (1 myself, 2 from other family member when I had that cover), for which they were very good, non for past two years, I've just received my individual renewal from them. Roadside and Recovery, £73.95 payable by annual Direct Debit.
Out of curiosity checked their website and if I were to join as a new member with the same cover and payment method it would cost £68.95.
So what price loyalty? I have of course cancelled and will be using the optional vehicle based breakdown cover on car insurance policy.
The AA are out of the equation, I left them after 15 years to join the RAC after an AA patrol at a M6 services, after I displayed my membership card, refused to give me a fuse because he was "too busy"!!

Comments

• sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    yes, they have always been fairly rubbish. i stuck with them coz i used to have family staff membership, but even as clubhouse staff they treated us soooooooo badly.
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have no real complaints, mainly due to the fact that they got me from just ouside Aberdeen to Glasgow at the back of 11 at night, when i could just have easily gone back to Aberdeen.
    Sometimes i surprise myself by being right.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Nowadays with better reliability, mobile phones and multi-car families I always wondered if the recovery services were just out of date. The only thing you are paying for is saving a little bit of inconvenience.

In 25+ years of motoring I have only needed to be towed in once (cost £85 - which insurance picked up) - much cheaper than paying a recovery service.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family