re-usable nappies.our council sucks!

I was wondering if any of you have any knowledge of using re-usable nappies here?
There are loads of councils in the uk offering incentives/cashback for anyone willing to use washable nappies which i think is brilliant-but naturally my council-ards borough council-Dont want to know!
It's something i would love to do but the inital outlay is quite steep,about £250,so help from the council to reduce my expense and OUR landfills,makes perfect sense to me.
Would anyone have any advice or support on how i could go about making my council review it's policy's or even just let me know if you use these nappies yourself and how you find them generally!I am due our third baby in 8 weeks!
thanks for reading,laura+bump
it takes more energy
to hate than to love...
love and relax!

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Write to them asking what they are doing about the legality of dumping !!!!!! in a landfill, as it is actually AFAIK illegal to do so! When I was pg with dd I asked the green party locally to take the local authority to court over this issue. never quite got there...
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If you are getting the equivalent of £250 then I want to know what I can get :D

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Ivan,you get the peace of mind that parents like me are doing all we can to keep the country you live in all clean and green,lol.
    I will write to them sarahsaver and write what you advise,maybe give the green party a go aswell! My hormones are going crazy at the moment so they shall drive me forward,i hate the fact that Northern Irealand gets such a raw deal compared to the rest of the uk.
    thanks for replying everyone.
    it takes more energy
    to hate than to love...
    love and relax!

• thetope
    thetope Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    have a look at https://www.bloomingbottoms.org - my flatmate is a recycling officer in castlereagh council and she is trying to get more people in their area to try re-usable nappies. they seem pretty good. the initial outlay is £29.90, not £250 or whatever (though i think they take a £29.90 refundable deposit too). you can choose to either launder them yourself or they pick them up from your house and drop them back for £6 per week more. check it out. i've no kids so can't recommend it myself but it's got to be worth a go.
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't forget, Ivan, that you're paying for the landfill sites and removal of thousands of tonnes of nappies so by encouraging people to use washable nappies, councils are saving your taxes for other things!!!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • IvanOpinion
    But for only £100 I will stop throwing litter out of my car window, dumping rubbish at the side of the road and spitting gum onto the pavements ... much better value for money :D

I actually came back to this thread because on another thread somebody else had mentioned another scheme where the total cost of nappies was less - I think it may be the one tope has mentioned.

ivan
  • Jon_C
    Jon_C Posts: 465 Forumite
    I thought Ivan meant he wondered what the council would pay him for using man-sized cloth nappies! ;-)
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    From what I've heard, you really don't want to see Ivan in a nappy!!!

Sorry, back on topic now ;)
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    But for only £100 I will stop throwing litter out of my car window, dumping rubbish at the side of the road and spitting gum onto the pavements ... much better value for money :D

ivan

However, littering is an offence. Using disposable nappies is not. Everyone benefits from individuals using washable nappies rather than disposables. I'm sure you wouldn't want pay outs to encourage people not to break the law!

The initial outlay on washables can be prohibitive to some people. If that is the case, and the council does not help, I would suggest buying terries which are by far the cheapest and getting a few at a time. Or asking for nappies as gifts from those who would be buying for the baby.

I am not being at all sanctimonious here, by the way. I used washable Kushies until a few months ago when my son grew out of them. I went straight on to terries for a few months, but recently he has grown out of those too. I have had a nappy advisor out to the house and am unable to find washable nappies big enough to fit my son.

I am gutted at having to fork out for disposables, for more than financial reasons. He is in the biggest size of disposable that the supermarkets do and they are tight. I have no idea what we'll do next if he's not potty trained soon...
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • IvanOpinion
    Gingham wrote:
    However, littering is an offence
    Darn, all the good stuff is illegal :D

What about using a couple of sheets of 'bounty' - that stuff is supposed good, strong and somewhat absorbant - you could hold it in place with a few strips of sellotape

Ivan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family