Halifax Credit Card fees

Options
I went into the Halifax bank to make a payment on my credit card. The money was due that day, so I payed in cash. When I got my next credit card statement I was charged a late fee!

I called the company and asked why I had a late charge. I was told money needed to be received before the due date as it takes time to clear. When I said I paid cash at the bank in which I applied for the card, the service rep said it did not matter, cash takes time to clear! I cant believe it. I saw my cash go into their cash drawer. Cash doesnt need to clear like cheques or have to wait for electronic transfers. When I asked how they could explain cash needed to "clear" and where was the money stored while it was being "cleared" as it wasnt in my wallet, no answer. But after argueing for several minutes, the charge was removed as a "curtesy". Has anyone heard of anything so silly as waiting for cash to "clear"? Looking to switch credit card companies now!
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comments

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Seems strange, yes, but that appears to be the way things are ... hopefully we can get the Scandanvian clearance system in soon where money appears in your account within a couple of hours.

I was going to say to ask them for the charges to be refunded but I see you already have and sorted it out ... note however that this does not necessarily work a second time.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Karnam
    Karnam Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    Options
    Ive had this excat thing happen to me but i didnt complain, just swallowed the cost and tried to learn from it. I believe it might have something to do with VISA being in charge of your card and halifax needing to send the money to visa which is what happens when the money is being 'cleared'. Ive been told that VISA/halifax dont have an automatic relationship and thats why i can never find out anything about my credit card when i go into halifax, only when i call up VISA.
    :A Boots Tart :A
  • Saveit
    Saveit Posts: 609 Forumite
    Options
    I think the Halifax must have the Scandanavian system in now I sent a cheque on the Thursaday and Friday morning it had gone through my account . Wooosshh and I now find that direct Debit payments go through on Saturdays not the following next working day as they used too.
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Saveit wrote:
    I think the Halifax must have the Scandanavian system in now I sent a cheque on the Thursaday and Friday morning it had gone through my account . Wooosshh and I now find that direct Debit payments go through on Saturdays not the following next working day as they used too.
    If that's true i wish they would impliment it for the Bank of Scotland, as i'm sick fed up sorting out payments that leave my account but don't get sent for three days.
    Sometimes i surprise myself by being right.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Halifax credit cards are run by Halifax themselves - if they demand a clearing time, that's up to them and nothing to do with VISA or any other explanation given above. The reality is that Halifax choose to run it as a standalone business unit and don't pass the credit information over same-day - hence the late fee. If it's in your Ts & Cs, it's how you agreed to the account working and you need to check before assuming you can pay in cash same day.

That said, my Halifax One welcome booklet says you can pay over the counter at a Halifax branch, and mentions NOTHING at all about clearing times, which to say the least is shoddy if they DO require a period of time.
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whilst Visa may operate a Halifax badged card, the accounts MAY not necessarily be controlled at the same place as Halifax customer accounts, hence the possible delay in the cash getting to your Visa account.

As regards direct debits coming out on a Saturday - this does not happen as it is not considered an accounting day in the banking system. It is to give you advance warning what is due the next accounting day.

I always wonder the same thing when I see stories like this as to why people always leave it until the last day before paying a bill. Can someone enlighten me why? :confused:
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport