🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

credit rating - how do you start

Options
Hi, my 18 year old full time student son wants his own pay monthly mobile. he works part time, has had a bank account for 2 years and has lived here for 18 prior to going to uni. he is told that as he has no credit rating he can't get a plan. How on earth does he get a credit rating if he has never had one??

Comments

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    First thing he needs to do is make sure he is on the Electoral Role at his current address.

He would normally have a credit history for having a bank account, although some banks don't report well run accounts. Or it could just be having recently moved they can't find him. If he has just moved to uni check his bank account address and the address he is applying from match.

Having done the above he may need to apply for a guarenteed acceptance credit cards, such as Capital One's. If he makes small purchases and pays it off in full each month it will give him a history.

That's in in brief, for a fuller explanation click on the "Credit Rating" link in the blue box above.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Reaper wrote:
    ...He would normally have a credit history for having a bank account...
    *I think* this is correct only for accounts with credit facilities such as overdraft and/or cheque guarantee card.
    If he has a basic account it is worth trying to upgrade it.
  • Niteflyer
    Niteflyer Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    "I Assume I Need No Introduction"
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Niteflyer wrote:
    You've mixed up the link. Your url tries to take you a web site called "here"!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport