Rate tarts wanted for a case study

Options
2»

Comments

• just started the tart thing. having an offset mortgage means you reap the rewards in the most efficient manner.

got bcard with a credit limit of £3.5k 0% for 9 months, have just applied for sainsbury 0% for 12 months.

i worked out that for every extra £1k kept in your offest mortgage, it is worth £6 per month. This soon adds up, if you had £10k, you save £60k per month.

would consider talking about my experiences.

thanls
  • DizzyandJake
    Options
    I have been 'tarting' for some time now, even before i found this web site. Although with Martin's help (and Tart Alert) this is a lot easier now. If i can help your case study then i will. x
  • I have used a succession of cards over the last 4 years or so so that I have constantly had a card with 0 per cent interest. Once the card runs out of the 0 per cent facility, i cancel it. So far, i have bought and installed an entire kitchen, bought a car, decorated my entire house, laid a laminate floor, paid off my car insurance and a whole host of other miscellaneous items all without paying a penny in interest. This has saved me literally thousands that i would have had to pay in interest and allowed my finances to stay in the black and enable me to afford things that i otherwise would not have been able to do. All the items i have used it for are things that I had to buy or do, so were not luxury items as it were. I just pay what i can afford back each month until the amount is paid off in full, so i am not accruing debt either. I would be happy to be used as a case study.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    i worked out that for every extra £1k kept in your offest mortgage, it is worth £6 per month. This soon adds up, if you had £10k, you save £60k per month.
    I think you need to check your maths. Firstly, I think you mean £60 not £60k! Secondly, to save £60pm would mean your interest rate must be 7.3%. If so I suggest you switch you mortgage to somewhere cheaper!
  • Martinslovechild
    Options
    I think you need to check your maths. Firstly, I think you mean £60 not £60k! Secondly, to save £60pm would mean your interest rate must be 7.3%. If so I suggest you switch you mortgage to somewhere cheaper!
    Agreed.

I currently have £59K stoozed in my flexi mortgage account and it saves me £268 per month in interest.  My interest rate is currently 5.54%.

On this basis, £10K would generate a monthly saving of £45.42.  I therefore agree with Reaper as I also calculate your mortgage rate as 7.318%, which I also say is unrealistic (unless you haven't changed it since 1993 maybe!!!??).
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • friends, my information comes from what mortgage magazine.

their information states that for a repayment mortgage the cost per £1k is

at 6% £6.44 per month, i pay 5.95% with IF.
    at 4% £5.28 per month, at 5% £5.85% per month, at 7% £7.07 per month.

you may have forgot to remove the capital payment, it is not just the interest you pay on a repayment mortgage.

thanks
  • Martinslovechild
    Options
    You may have forgot to remove the capital payment, it is not just the interest you pay on a repayment mortgage.
    Councillor,

You're correct - I was only looking at the interest. Because I effectively don't pay any (because i've got an amount in my flexi mortgage effectively equal to the amount I owe), i'm only ever paying off capital.
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    you may have forgot to remove the capital payment, it is not just the interest you pay on a repayment mortgage.
    I see your point, but to stop paying off any of the capital while you have stoozed money seems unwise, and when measuring the savings is not comparing like with like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure