Economy 7-How does it work, will I save money?

Options
kiwichick
kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi All,

Bit of a daft question for you all :o

I am from NZ and have not come across economy 7 before now, can anybody tell me how it works, will I save money etc.

We are moving to a 3 bed semi in dec and I know it will cost more to run, also getting a tumble dryer for the winter. Am wondering how it works so I can do it all the cheapest way poss.

Ta,
Al.
WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!

Comments

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    On Economy 7 you have two tarrif charges. Day time is the most expensive to use electric. Night time is considerably cheaper and the best time to use electrical appliences such as washing machines, dish washers and tumble dryers etc. Put them on timers.

Hope this helps
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that but does anyone know what the time frame is? Is it something like 11pm to 7pm? I try to do as many electrical things as I can at night but living in a small house you can't really have the washing machine on at night because it keeps you awake. I have done a stew in a slow cooker overnight though.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Rikki
    Options
    I think its 1am till 6am I'll have a check. It did alter a few years back.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have this in my house. In summer the cheap electricity is from 1 a.m. to 8 a.m. This changes when the clocks go back, ie. midnight to 7 a.m.

I heat my water overnight on a timer. Run my dishwasher and washing machine also on timers.

Works well enough for me.

The daytime rate is higher than a 24 hour tariff. I did do a comparison to see if it would be cheaper to change and I was better off with the Economy 7.
  • Robert5988
    Robert5988 Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    You really need to do your homework on this, to find out if it will pay for you to be on E7.

Tariffs vary not only by Utility provider but by the district you live in.

Your useage at night to achieve a 'break even' point can vary between 0% and 40%.

If you have Gas it is still cheaper to use that to heat water than E7 in almost all cases.
    Robert
  • helen21_2
    helen21_2 Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Options
    I thought you had to have electric heating to qualify having economy 7 tariffs? Didnt think everyone could just choose to have it?
  • Rikki
    Options
    helen21 wrote:
    I thought you had to have electric heating to qualify having economy 7 tariffs? Didnt think everyone could just choose to have it?

I believe they just called it economy 7 and it was mainly for charging up storage heaters at night when the tarrif was cheaper. But as far as I am aware it is avaliable to anybody who requests it.

NPFM 21
  • paul_h
    paul_h Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    helen21 wrote:

Anyone can be on the economy7 tariffs, they've always worked out cheaper for me :D

Make sure you're with a supplier who encourages economy7 use with good rates - some suppliers do not want this business as there is less profit to be made and reflect this in their pricing.

As robert5988 says though, if you're on mains gas, forget e7 for heating your water - gas will always be cheaper.
  • helen21_2
    helen21_2 Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Options
    So if you heat by gas, cook by gas you can still get economy 7 tariff?
    When i enquired about it (a few years ago mind) i was told you had to meet a certain criteria to get it!
  • Rikki
    Options
    Find out what the criteria is? I'm sure there is no reason why you can't have it if you wanted.

Ecomony 7 is fitted as standard on most new builds.
    The day time charge for the electric is more expensive then the 24 hour standard charge but the night time is under half that cost.

NPFM 21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport