PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cardboard Boxes and children

Options
How many times have you heard the old saying that the kids prefer the boxes to the toys? Well I know that I used to play with boxes when I was little but I underestimated just how much fun an empty box can provide. I've just discovered that my 21 month old is a chip off the old block.

After watching her play with/in a cardboard box for the past week I urge all the Mums out there with young children to get a BIG, old fashioned, cardboard box from somewhere and marvel at hours of free entertainment that it brings. You can't get more old style than that can you?

Christmas is gonna be cheap this year :D lol!
Just run, run and keep on running!

Comments

• apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Same with cats...give'em a cardboard box and they love it, i've never met a cat who could walk past a box without getting in for a snooze
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good suggestion Jay-Jay.

Be cheeky and ask for more than one large cardboard box. You can fold them down flat and keep a couple in reserve for when the original box is all played out.;)

As most supermarkets are reluctant to pass boxes on to customers, you could ask at a firm with a goods inwards department.

In my building (a warehouse with a goods inwards function) we get lots of people asking for cardboard boxes and packing materials for when they're moving house.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What other toy can you get that is free. A police car in the morning, a market stall in the afternoon, a place where the scary dragon lives by tea time and a rowing boat to sit in for your bedtime milk? Cardboard boxes are blinking good value and feed your kidz imagination.:j
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • benji173
    benji173 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    I used to love my cardboard boxes. We'd go to Kwik Save, get the food, then go and get tons of boxes. Smaller ones were good too when i was slightly older, you put them on your head so you can't see, great fun, you need to remember to draw a face on though, it isnt the same without one.
  • DaisyNelson
    Options
    We once gave my nephew an empty cardboard box for christmas (nicely wrapped) and told him it was an Action Man Deserter.
    One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a 21 month old too. Last Christmas, he spent hours playing with a cardboard box that he'd managed to make into a slide.

The other day, I suggested to my DH that he would maybe like a wendy house to play in but they are expensive. I came upstairs for a play on the computer and when I came back down 15 minutes later, he'd made our son a wendy house out of 4 cardboard boxes stuck together with parcel tape. It had a door, window and sky light. It was a total hit. And free!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    lol :D

When I was little my Dad brought home some really big, thick boxes. I cut a door out and made a door handle out of a duffel coat toggle. I cut out windows, made some tissue curtains and created a cardboard table too. Then I put the cat inside the box and held the door shut :rolleyes: I was gutted when she escaped through the window.... anybody would think she didn't like the house I had created for her? :confused: :rolleyes: :o:D
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We bought a new lawnmower this summer and my 13 year old - yes that's right 13 YEAR old - climbed into the empty box ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    My youngest 2 had great fun last week - a house, a ship (pirates and sharks!), a car, a tent.

It fell apart after a week and we put it into strips, cellotaped them to their arms and legs and they were robots!
    Lara is asking when is she getting a new box.

Sod the whole toybox of stuff they have!!
  • Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm going to wrap a cardboard box in shiny paper for my 8 month old (will be nearly 1, eek!) for christmas. At the moment she has a smallish box that she loves playing with filled with loads of random stuff, a potato masher, old mobile phone, old pair of glasses, ribbon etc. She can spend hours sat there emptying out the box, examining all the stuff and then putting it all back in again!

Jayjay, I love your story of your cardboard box! We had such great imagination when we were little didn't we? One thing I can't wait to do with Jessica is to make a miniature garden out of an old plant tray, moss, bits of gravel etc. We used to make one every year with my dad. I used to get blades of grass to make fern type plants (sorry can't remember the name) and surround them in gravel to make a rock garden.
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure