🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Accommodation wated for New York

Options
I am going to New York on 9th November for four nights returning on 13th November 05.

As this is my first visit I am looking for recommendations for accommodation that is close to Times Square but of a good standard.

If anyone has got any tips of what "not to miss" when I'm there would be welcome.

Comments

• dalbmeister
    Options
    I've used this company a few times.. They generally deal with trade, but if you call them I'm sure they'll get you a good deal. Companies called NAR - 08707778877
  • dalbmeister
    Options
    Oh yes... NY... If you are there on a Saturday morning I'd recommend taking an early walk in Central park... Pick up and coffee and muffin and enjoy the walk watching all the mad New Yorkers play baseball, cycle, run, Ti Chi... you name it, they do it and it's a great way to start the day. You can even ice skate on the outdoor rink in the park!

Also the Met Museum is fantastic... I'm not that arty, but the whole place is V impressive.

Get the NY Time Out magasine just as you go and it'll give you a guide on what's on that week PLUS their restaurant guide is always good...

Soho (South of Houston) is a trendy area with street markets and nice bars/restaurants.

Enjoy!
  • donnie_darko_3
    Options
    We have just come back from new york and stayed at the sofitel hotel just 5 mins from time square and ideal for the subway to all sites. central aprk is a 20 minute walk away, fifth avenue a mere 5 mins walk away. It doesnt come in the cheap bracket but whay hotel in new york does? But I will tell you one thing this hotel is magnificent. Though it is only 5 mins from times square it is peaceful and quiet and after 14 hours a day hauling yourself round new york you will really benefit from this. the staf are incredibly friendly, the rooms spotlessly clean, and a turn down and free water service is provided with some rooms. The beds in the room have not been bettered in all my travels abroad, They are soooooooo comfortable that you need to make sure you set your alarm else you will miss half a day over sleeping. As I say not cheap unless you can try and negotiate a better deal, but the dollar is stronger now and its niot as cheap as say February when we last went. We stayed at the Westin Hotel 43rd st This was also a great hotel in a perfect location but their prices have DOUBLED since February which is why we discvered the sofitel.

New york is fantastic, there is no other place like it for sights, cultural diversitys, Life, energy, shopping, and you just dont know what you will see round the next corner, though it is very safe too (in the tourist areas)
    http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/gb/accueil/index.shtml

Sorry bout the spelling but still jet lagged
    The best work is the cheapest as the quality remains long after the price is forgotten
  • Silent_Bob_3
    Silent_Bob_3 Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Options
    I've stopped at the Milford Plaza before and am stopping there again later this month on my honeymoon. Friends have also stopped there too. We booked the hotel via Virginholidays £686 for both of us for 7 nights.

www.milfordplaza.com

Milford Plaza Hotel,
    270 W 45th Street,
    New York, NY 10036
    T: (888) 288 5700 or (212) 869 3600
    Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Snoochie Boochies
  • fatboyonadiet
    fatboyonadiet Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    www.wolcott.com a little further down from times square, about 3 blocks up from where broadway and 5th Ave cross, cheap and friendly and nice.
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't forget the 13.65% tax on hotel rooms and $2 per night lodging tax and be careful about en suite bathrooms, if it doesn't say en suite then it is probably a shared bathroom.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • WPC
    WPC Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    Silent bob
    Does the Milford Plaza have en suite bathroom with a shower?
  • About 10 years ago we stayed at the Comfort Inn in the Murray Hill district of Manhattan. The hotel was on a side street just off Broadway, so Macys/Times Square were 1 min if you turned left out of the hotel and 5th Avenue was 1 Min if you turned right! There was also a subway station at the end of the road so you could get around quickly and easily (and a pizzaria too as I remember). Quality of the hotel was fine (and rooms were onsuite), and my room had a view of the Empire State Building :)
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SEARCH

:wall::wall::wall:
  • muzzle_2
    muzzle_2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    We stayed at the ThirtyThirty hotel last year - I'd heard mixed reports about it before I went, but I was more than happy with it. Really good value, clean and centrally located (Empire State Building is less than 5 mins walk away). The rooms aren't massive, but you don't really spend alot of time in your room while you're there anyway.

Buy a copy of Time Out when you get there, and have a look through the comedy/music listings etc. We discovered that Dylan Moran was doing a show at a tiny comedy club the following night. It was a great show, and Eddie Izzard also did an unadvertised set immediately after.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport