Home Emergency Cover?

Options
Hi

I'm looking for quotes for house/contents insurance as my current company is increasing the cost by £70. Sainsbury Bank look good but they give an option of home emergency cover for £50, which gives upto £250 per incident. Just wondering do people usually go for this, or is it hardly worth the money?

Comments

• Kice
    Kice Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi Astro,

I work in an insurance company and we sell Home Emergency, personally I would NOT get it at all, a lot of the things in the small print exclude cover for things which are out of your control.

For example one of the terms if I remember correctly will not honour a claim if the pipes werent not installed properly, I mean, how can you know for sure? it does not cover boilers which are over 15 years old, etc...

Just read the small print and use common sense, mine tells me not to bother.
  • tootie
    tootie Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    I was offered this cover and didn't think I needed it but ended up being talked into it for around £40 for the year.

As far as i was concerned it was totally useless....... until I got burgled.

Thanks to this cover I had a man come to my house within hours of phoning to change all locks on my house and secure the back door - they came back a week later to replace the door as it was so damaged that a new lock could not have secured it.

If I had not had this I would have had to fork out for a locksmith to do this on the day (which would have been hard to pay for when all cards and cheque book was stolen with my purse!)
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    those bits may have been covered under a standard policy - but maybe not as quickly / and with needing to get claimn in first?

yes its a gimmickly upsell with exclusions - I had it and my boiler was playing up- their guy came out but only 3 days later as they were busy ( did offer to send job back to insurers but that was just more mucking around ... in meantime I had done a workaround, that meant it would work for 1-2 hours then needed resetting - so they classed this as an intermittent fault - no cover/ no repair

I have since had repiar and taken BG CH/ pipe cover... but may well go back to HE next year ... but in fairness the company I'm with only charge £30pa .
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure