Fighting back from a blow out Blog Discussion

Click reply to discuss Martin's blog here.
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    My situation was pretty similar to this guys one.

I went on for about a year, buying the latest computer, best makeup products, money on the credit cards for nights out etc.

I had a couple of credit cards with thousands limit on each, then i took out a loan for the fancy computer, which is now worth a fraction of the amount it cost me. Had bought loads of clothes from catalogues.....

You get the picture.

I have sorted myself out since, but have defaults against my name and find it difficult to obtain credit, I have been able to get a catalogue, but been rejected for credit cards and current accounts.

Anyway, my main point is that it is all too easy to get credit in the beginning, but what can we do about it? There are after all sensible people who dont get into trouble the way I did.

I am not too upset about this as I am 27 and have learned a big lesson and can now control my fincances pretty well. The future looks good :-)

My only worry is that I plan to buy a house in the future, maybe a year or 2 away, but getting a mortgage is going to be difficult.
  • terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    my son lived with his common law wife for 10 years and had 3 children in that time brought a house and every thing was lovely suddenly for reasons known only to her she decided the grass was greener with a neighbour, my son was working long hours and undergoing treatment for an on going kidney problem so was always tired, i can see both sides he was 50% to blame and so was she but why does she get to keep everything and he pay 1K a month support whilst living in a bedsit and having to pay his own living expenses? he earns around 15K basic a year but seems to be also paying for the children's expenses like shoes, clothing topping up mobile phones etc......good job he has cash help from his dad.
    we had a talk because he was becoming dependant on credit cards, he cut them up and although times are hard he is now trying to become debt free.
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Times might be hard now, but they would have been worse in the future if things had carried on??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure