Cheapish but nice Edinburgh hotels

Options
Any recommendations? Looking for something fairly central with parking

Comments

• alison74
    alison74 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    I would go with the travel lodges that are dotted around the city centre. Fixed price for a room and are all centrally located.

I know some definately have parking, but you would have to check which ones.

Other nice hotels are just outside the city centre (maybe 1-2 miles) that will have parking for free and you could hop on the bus into town. Edinburgh is going through huge traffic calming changes just now and the council are doing everything in their power to make it as hard as possible to travel through town in a car. There are no entry signs everywhere, greenways for buses and as I type this only ONE street to cross the centre which makes it very congested.

I would personally not take a car into Edinburgh, use the buses or walk, it's not as big as you might think it is.

If you have a couple of hotels in mind, post them of PM me and I will give you advice on them.

Also, parking is VERY expensive in Edinburgh.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My dh and I along with our 2 teenagers stayed in the Holyrood Aparthotel which is just off the Royal Mile. It is basically an apartment with 2 twin rooms, bathroom, shower-room, lounge and kitchen with mod cons. The price is per apartment so it makes sense to have 4 people in it to share the cost. It also has secure parking although that is extra.

PS: I think it also had a sofabed in the lounge.
  • Scoflo
    Scoflo Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have weekend residential training & the Kenneth McKenzie suite is used. basically university accomodation.Its fine & although it has no parking those who take their cars park outside on the street on the Sunday & move their car to the training on the Saturday. I have also stayed at Heriot Watt and there is a really good bus service. Its lovely grounds, too. Lots of rabbits & squirrels. :)
    :hello: Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want:hello:

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have weekend residential training & the Kenneth McKenzie suite is used. basically university accomodation.Its fine & although it has no parking those who take their cars park outside on the street on the Sunday & move their car to the training on the Saturday. I have also stayed at Heriot Watt and there is a really good bus service. Its lovely grounds, too. Lots of rabbits & squirrels. :)

Brand new Park and Ride just near the Heriot Watt, parking free bus fare the normal rate into town.

Don't forget the greedy ducks and swans at Heriot Watt icon7.gif
  • donnie_darko_3
    Options
    http://www.travelodge.co.uk/find_a_hotel/hotel.php?hotel_id=205

Definitely travel lodge in the city centre and it has car parking and is the best value in town especially if you can get a £26 room check the link above
    The best work is the cheapest as the quality remains long after the price is forgotten
  • MarcD_2
    MarcD_2 Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Express by Holiday Inn is also central and can be good value (got a room for £49 including breakfast earlier this year). No free parking though I don't think many hotels do. Managed to only pay a couple of quid as it was Sunday night though free until 9am monday then pay for a couple of hours. Would be £12 in the NCP otherwise...

The hotel is very new, the rooms are pleasant and the one we had was surprisingly spacious for a budget hotel, all rates also include free breakfast. Located about 5 minutes walk from Princess Street.
  • alison6692
    alison6692 Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    I always check out http://www.tripadvisor.com

I stayed with my boyfriend inone of the Apex hotels in Edinburgh we got a deal and it was fab. I cannot reme,ber which one it was but they both looked lovely. We really enjoyed it there and I think they had parking too.

Still check out tripadvisor - Thats normally a good guide.
    :heart2:Mum to my little Daisy 3 and Archie 1.:heart2:
  • Robert12345
    Options
    Probably a bit late for original poster but perhaps of use to others ...

Edinburgh hotels are not cheap ...and you may or may not get what you pay for!

I would suggest B&Bs - 3 and 4 star ones can be so much better than chain hotels and what's more, cheaper!

Try http://www.scotland2000.com/accom/seast as one suggestion.

During July & Aug prices are dear and places can be fully booked. However, having suffered the hassle of taking action against a chain to recover monies paid for bad experience, I would recommend looking at Bed and Breakfasts which can be had for low 20(£s) pp at certain times of the year. To a certain extent you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps someone!
  • sylwright
    sylwright Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Went to Edinburgh in August during the festival. Stayed at the Innkeepers Lodge just outside Edinburgh. Free parking and bustop into Edinburgh right outside the door. We just bought day tickets for less than £3 each per day and it was a lot less stressful than taking the car. Took about 15 minutes on bus to Princess Street.

http://www.innkeeperslodge.com/lodgedetail.asp?lodgeID=59 £62 per night per room includes free continental breakfast and special offer if staying Friday and Saturday nights you get Sunday night free.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you
  • ahenry
    ahenry Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.travelodge.co.uk/find_a_hotel/hotel.php?hotel_id=205

Definitely travel lodge in the city centre and it has car parking and is the best value in town especially if you can get a £26 room check the link above

I stayed at the city centre Travelodge and it was fine. Its nothing special architecture-wise (70s concrete office block), but you get a decent sized room just like a normal corporate hotel room (nice shower and bathroom). I stayed with 2 adults on the main bed with 2 kids on pull out beds. For breakfast we picked up some stuff from a bakers across the road. It does have a car park which costs extra. We arrived by train and its a quarter of a mile from Waverley.

The Scotsman hotel is also nice on North Parade Bridge, but I was on expenses when I was there ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure