which interest rate is better?

Options
leni
leni Posts: 942 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
FOR LIFE - 5.9% p.a. variable for all balances transferred in the first 6 months or 0% interest for 6 months?

I have £2500 on cards that I need to pay off and I've got that spread over 3 cards! Less hassle with 1, I suppose?

DEBT FREE for the first time in 10 years and with savings!

1st Baby due May 2011 :o it's a BOY:j

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    leni wrote:
    FOR LIFE - 5.9% p.a. variable for all balances transferred in the first 6 months or 0% interest for 6 months?

I have £2500 on cards that I need to pay off and I've got that spread over 3 cards! Less hassle with 1, I suppose?
    You've answered your own question really, but read Martin's balance transfer article here...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1107182516,76509,

If you do decide to go down the 0% route (I've replied to your other post), you'll have to make sure you go for a BT fee-free card otherwise you'll incur 3 separate BT fees.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    If there are no fees for the balance transfer then the 0% is best. Quote your cards, limits and balances if you want help in picking a good card to go for.
    With a 0% deal you would probably have to pay a minimum payment of 2 to 3% of the capital outstanding per month (say £75 for 3%). This would reduce the debt to £2500 -6*75 = £2050. You would then have to find another 0% card or negotiate a life of balance deal. You could try negotiating with your existing lenders for the best deal. Some money at x% is better than none at all at y% for them.
    Generally you can't spend on a 0% card as purchases are charged at a very high interest rate and repayments are only applied to the original funds transfered at 0%. You can't afford to pay extortionate credit card interest rates. You can't afford to live beyond your means for extended periods.
    J_B. (Check the specific terms and conditions, don't make assumptions.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure