Can i cash in my pension?

Options

Comments

• sarahc5388
    sarahc5388 Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I am in the military and am given a government pension on completion of 22 years service, a financial advisor (the company he worked for also does our added voluntary contributions to the military pension) sold me a stakeholder pension, this affects the amount of my military pension - he did not inform me of this at the tiem otherwise i would not have gone ahead. I have contacted the coy and at first they apologised and offered me all my money back - they have now retracted this, where do i stand - surely the advisor should have looked into this at the time, any advise greatly appreciated
    LTSB PPI - £770 ish for dad
    LTSB PPI for dad - £1800 for dad
    Barclays PPI claim for self-£2204
    Dads home insurance - reduced by £200 a year "WE DO NOT LIVE IN FLOOD AREA AND I DON'T SEE WHY WE SHOULD PAY FOR THOSE THAT DO - I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR"!

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    a financial advisor (the company he worked for also does our added voluntary contributions to the military pension) sold me a stakeholder pension, this affects the amount of my military pension

Can you explain how contributions into a stakeholder pension impacts on the military pension?
    I have contacted the coy and at first they apologised and offered me all my money back - they have now retracted this, where do i stand - surely the advisor should have looked into this at the time, any advise greatly appreciated

I cant see any reason why they would void the pension as the sale of a stakeholder accepting personal contributions has no impact at all on your occupational pension. I am guessing they retracted the offer once they realised that there had been no error and the recommendation wasnt bad.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Retired_I.F.A.
    Options
    "this affects the amount of my military pension

Where on earth did you get that notion from?

edit.. Think i'll change my nick to Dunstonh's echo. Yet again i've been pipped to the post :D
  • sarahc5388
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Can you explain how contributions into a stakeholder pension impacts on the military pension?

I cant see any reason why they would void the pension as the sale of a stakeholder accepting personal contributions has no impact at all on your occupational pension. I am guessing they retracted the offer once they realised that there had been no error and the recommendation wasnt bad.

I have been told by the Service Veterans and Pensions Agency that the amount of my mil pension will be reduced by the amount of the private pension
    Dads home insurance - reduced by £200 a year "WE DO NOT LIVE IN FLOOD AREA AND I DON'T SEE WHY WE SHOULD PAY FOR THOSE THAT DO - I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR"!

• Retired_I.F.A.
    Options
    Youve been told wrong or misinterpreted them then as your stakeholder benefits will in no way effect you military pension.
  • sarahc5388
    Options
    Youve been told wrong or misinterpreted them then as your stakeholder benefits will in no way effect you military pension.

Can i quote you on that?

• Retired_I.F.A.
    Options
    Yes definately, though what weight it'd cary is nil. I'm out of the loop so to speak these last 6 years since i was last a practicing IFA but you can google and get confirmation easily enough.
  • sarahc5388
    Options
    Yes definately, though what weight it'd cary is nil. I'm out of the loop so to speak these last 6 years since i was last a practicing IFA but you can google and get confirmation easily enough.

many thanks - gonna phone the SPVA again and ask them what they were on about and for full confirmation/clarification

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    RIFA is correct. personal contributions into a personal arrangement have no impact on occupational or state pensions.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • philgage2004
    Options
    Can I as a former Soldier cash in my Military pension? If so how do I go about it ??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure