🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Travel Between Cities for £1

Options
This topic was posted by me in the another place but perhaps this forum is more relavant/useful for it. Hope you find it useful...

Okay - don't know if y'all have ever heard of this before but to travel between most large British cities cheaply and (relatively) easily https://www.megabus.comis brilliant.

What u have to do is book from the webiste about 1 week in advance and you get a single ticket for £1 - plus a shockingly large 50p booking fee. - Book on the day tickets cost £4 - still cheaper than any other method of travel.

They then give u a code - bring this the the bus stop they give you and present it to the bus driver and find a seat - they then take u to the place and boot u off the bus and go back again.

To put this into perspective a train ticket between London and Manchester can cost upwards of £40 - this bus costs £1.

Yes, the busses are creaky, cheap and a little dirty - but they are reliable. I managed to get between London and Oxford cheaply and easily with no delays and an empty bus.

Hope you find this useful (if you have never heard of them before...)

Sam

(Also national express do occasional £1 tickets - but these are very limited - if you are travelling alone though maybe a better bet...)

Comments

• princess
    princess Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    this sounds amazingly cheap sam! can you tell me if you think the buses would be suitable for an older traveller? im not thinking of myself here :) but a relative of nearly 80. would there be someone to help him stow his luggage, would he find himself completely surrounded by students? etc. many thanks for your help
  • System
    System Posts: 178,105 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hmm - an older traveller - probably would be alright...

With luggage - although probably not standard procedure to help with it I'm sure that if the driver or another worker saw or was asked by an elderly person they would be happy to help.

And students? - definitely - only at certain times though.
    Peak hours should definitely be avoided - this is when the company makes all of its money - travelling on a weekday the busses shouldn't be too crowded - they werent with me.

Perhaps as a better alternative try finding a £1 ticket with national express - almost as hard to find as cheap ryanair flights though...

If you meet an elderly person at the other end of the journey then they probably should be absolutely fine - not an ideal way to travel but definitely not very much harder than using a train.

Sam
  • princess
    Options
    thanks for your reply - to be honest he is quite a tough cookie and i think he would put up with just about any inconvenience to travel between manchester and london for £1!
  • kaaloo
    kaaloo Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    A relative of mine used this service last week and he was really impressed.

The bus was new and clean and even had toilets!!!

Bargain!!

K ;D
    Bismillah
  • Mancunian
    Mancunian Posts: 963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    this has been listed before  on here and had good reports,,but thing they are double deckers.

you can also try    https://www.nxfunfare.co.uk     its National express so you know what u are getting.

another one that is more limited  is   Stelios'    Easybus,,,,think its   https://www.easybus.com
    PLAY GOOD!

trolls and abusers will simply be added to my ignore list - you can do it too! its under USER CP

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/profile.php?do=IGNORElist
  • princess
    Options
    easybus is http://www.easybus.co.uk/ i think....set to launch in august so it says.
  • EmmaH_2
    EmmaH_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I normally get the train to visit family in Sheffield, but have had to come up this week at short notice; the train was far too expensive, so I found the megabus! The journey up to Sheffield was perfectly smooth - we departed London exactly on time. The seats were very comfortable, and the coach wasn't even half full, so everyone had 2 seats to themselves. There wasn't an on board toilet, although that's no great shakes as we had a 10-minute toilet stop. And what really impressed me was that we arrived in Sheffield 50 minutes early! I couldn't believe it! I still have my return journey to make on Friday afternoon, which I hope will be as smooth as the first one. As mine was a late booking, I had to pay the princely sum of £6.50 return (inc. booking fee); however they are normally £1 each way. I will definitely be travelling with megabus again! I just can't understand how they can afford to run a service charging customers so little; answers on a postcard please...
    Titch :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family