cusotms and excise on imported purchases

Does anyone have an easy way to calculate the taxes and duties on stuff bought on ebay etc that actually gets shipped in from hong kong, the states etc?

Replies

• Matt_NixonMatt_Nixon Forumite
    234 Posts
    When you get stung for duty you have to pay the duty then vat on the goods value + duty.

I got stung for a posh folder I ordered at a conference in the states.

Also if your seller uses DHL or UPS instead of the usual post office delivery services you are automatically charged vat, duty and a commision by the shipping company >:(

Follow the link below for a list of current duty rates.

http://www.hmce.gov.uk/public/shopping/common-internet-goods.pdf
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The post office is just as bad as DHL etc. I got charged
    £10 on top of the duty, VAT, etc. for an item from the USA costing £35 ! Very annoying.
  • madmaxxmadmaxx Forumite
    19 Posts
    You can allways ask them to send it as a gift, there is a box on the declaration slip.
    Your gift allowance is $65.
  • BenjiBenji Forumite
    640 Posts
    You can allways ask them to send it as a gift, there is a box on the declaration slip.
    Your gift allowance is $65.
    Er, no, that's illegal if the goods are commercial.

However, you can import goods up to (iirc) £18 and no duty will be payable.
    Life should be a little nuts; otherwise it's just a bunch of Thursdays strung together.
  • Rates are:

Below £18 value no VAT or duty

Above £18 it will be 17.5% plus £4 PostOffice clearance/handling fee for a small item ie one the postie delivers or £10-£12 if by parcel force.

If a courier delivers they will charge you a fortune....they will think of a number and double it.

Depending on the goods and country of origin they might also charge you duty....yet to be charged that except by couriers.

Best advice do not let them post it by courier.

Make sure you can verify invoice as they (HMCE) stop and check and will hold items they are not happy with.

Be careful if you ask the seller to mark the price down. Knackers your insurance claim if it goes missing (you can't really claim £500 if item was marked at £50 to avoid duty). However many do stay lucky.

HMCE exchange rates lag by about a month so watch for that. I generally use $30US as a benchmark for duty.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides